1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 Singleplayer - Desires?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Hyrage, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

If there is any Singleplayer to UT3 or UT4, what are you looking for?

[not the Instant Action style :eek:, but more like Killzone, Gears of War or else]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. LG1X

LG1X New Member

Nope, I have had the game since it has released, but haven't tried the SP campaign yet.

3. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

A tournament.

If they want to have a sp, make that on the side and make it good! (Like a actual SP)

4. Bort

Bort nou

Demoguy as the final boss

5. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Tournament with these bosses: Akasha, Warboss, Dominator and DemoGuy.

6. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

Well, everyone loves the Tournament ideas, I also do... but I could also enjoy playing the game in a deeper way. I mean, who are these characters? How did they become so experience in fighting against each others? What does it look like to live the life of Reaper, etc...

The Tournaments are only one interesting part of many intense and possible others I would guess.

7. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

I don't really think UT will make a good SP game, having a Tournament ladder is certainly not a bad thing (if its an actual Tournament ladder, that is, no more of this war buisness), but its hardly an SP game the likes of GoW, HL2 or whatever else we usually think of when hearing "SP", and i don't see how you could make it into one without breaking it.

The fun of UT has allways been "here's an arena and a gun, now go shoot stuff", and the Tournament backstorry is just a great device to explain away this otherwise pointless violence, and that it does well, it allows the game to just be no nonsense action from the word go, and even gives the charecters some personallity to them.

What i would like to see is an Unreal and an UT game comming toheather in one, basically, like Unreal was but with a better MP component this time based on the Tournament, two good things from the same univers under one roof.

And the SP part should be a propper sequal to Unreal this time, perhabs even a prequal where you are a member of the ISV Kraan this time, instead of a prisoner on the Vortex Rikers.

8. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Member

A proper tournament - i.e. put the Tournament back in Unreal Tournament.

I never cared for the UT3 SP. I accepted the characters for what they were - one dimensional bits of wallpaper. And definatlely don't do it like Gears of War. The way the "storyline" was shoehorned into that gorefest was forced, pathetic and clichéd. If anything the Unreal franchise needs to distance itself from Gears of War as far as possible.

One of the things that I found so appealing about that made the first UT - and the original Unreal too so appealing was that your character was virturally a blank slate. The character could be whatever you wanted to be. In other words you could get totally immersed into the game universe exploring, killing stuff and saving the innocent (or killing them if you wanted to be a baddie yourself). When they tried to define the characters more (John Dalton from U2 or UT3's Reaper) that factor was lost. Why the hell would I want to be soppy old Reaper in the first place?

I don't particularly dig prequels either. They seem to be all the rage at Hollywood these days. I'd personally rather see what should've been done many years ago - a proper sequel to the original game.

9. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

A tourney! With UT2004-like team management. That at least added a tiny bit of depth to it.

But Epic should really f**k off with the single-player bollocks unless they're going to do Unreal 3. They could even market it as a Halo killer, if that's the kind of console presence they need to bother trying to make such a game.

10. Scuzzbuster

Scuzzbuster It's Crunchy. It's Nice.

I'll tell you where the UT series got the single player DEAD ON exactly right: Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict. It was utter perfection for a game of this genre. Damned shame it never got ported to PC. UT3's Multiplayer was just a horrific miss-step.

Ultimately, the UT2004 single player had the right idea, but they didn't flesh it out. I think the ultimate hybrid would be to take the UT2004 single player up one notch. Have the tournament, buy and trade players and build up the skill of your teammates...etc but add cutscenes, even if they are reused...short cutscenes to the trade features, injuries...all that. That would be interesting. Better yet, have the tournament randomize each time you start it. Different progressions. Have a series of settings that you could select before starting a new random tourney (for instance, set percentage of the tourney you'd like to be in each game type, what percentage of your games you'd like to contain what mutes-for instance, say that you'd like to mix in 30% of your matches with low grav, or have all your DMs be with Tranny enabled). The other thing I really liked about the UT2004 SP was the challenges. Have a tourney where you can freely challenge and be challenged, but add some style to it...again, short cutscenes, dress it up rather than just have all these cool concepts appear in text boxes.

Really though, if there is another UT game on PC, I would be happy if they simply ported the UC2 Single player concept straight into it. In the UT3 360 article in my sig I talked about how the UC2 single player worked and a how much the UT3 SP failed miserably.

Sorry, every time I get started on UC2 I can't stop myself. Just from a polished, top to bottom solid game, Epic probably never made better. Still, nothing compares to the original UT. I replaced the picture of Jesus with a picture of Malcom over my fireplace YEARS ago.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  11. WHIPperSNAPper

WHIPperSNAPper New Member

I'm hoping they'll spend little time on an SP component of the game and focus on the real game which is online multiplayer. The SP component should be similar to what UT99 and UT 2004 had--just a sequence of maps and gametypes without ghey cutscenes or any pretense of a story. Now, it might not be a bad idea to produce an Unreal 3 single player game to coincide with a UT4. Perhaps an Unreal 3 should be released first to bring new people to the Unreal franchise and then followed up with a UT4.

12. WHIPperSNAPper

WHIPperSNAPper New Member

Good idea; I like it.

13. zynthetic

zynthetic robot!

I was on the fence about UT3CE. Rein claiming UT3 will have true singleplayer is what got me to preorder. :(
    Though as a result I am glad that more ppl now, than w/ 2k4, understand singleplayer is not a DM ladder or DM w/ random cutscenes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  14. cooloola

cooloola A good samaritan

It seems Epic are trying to leave behind everything Unreal, there are no skaarj and the Krall have been completely transformed. So the chances of seeing another Unreal are slim to none.

15. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Someone still hopes for an Unreal 3 or any sequel to Unreal? We can only dream.
    The tournament is the best choice, in a way how it was done in UC2.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  16. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound bad.... but the UT2004 team management is taken right from UT2003 beta with few changes here and there I think.

Unreal 3 I hope for too, well GoW kinda replaced that, but I never played GoW and I can't play GoW2 since I don't own any consoles right now.
    It doesn't matter for me that much if it will be a sequel to original Unreal, or taken in its own time in same universe as U2 was (during 2002 they actually even flagged it as Halo killer)..it doesn't matter for me that much..actually I would like to see some of the cut content and ideas from U2 being used(before the game changed to be more straight through, to appeal more to non-gamers, etc not to mention worse voice acting), these early screens and concept arts still pwn.
    So if that was recreated, or even if parts of original Legend team could make still a small missionpack after such time (with more enhanced graphics and on 2.5 engine), even that I would like...but it's like it's never gonna happen, even if it was supposed to....really when I was browsing unused content in U2 and some of it in xmp (several more textures that didn't ship with the game but were used in game at some time), it's really sad to see that.
    And also because most of them work somewhere else, for example Scott Dalton is in Valve.

17. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

I didn't like ut3 singleplayer at all, it took itself far too seriously.
    I was fine with ut2k3/4's singleplayer: ".. so a bunch of dudes were fighting. Here's some skirmishes".

This is all from my "UT is supposed to be a multiplayer series" perspective though. It would make more sense to make an entirely new game (like, oh I dunno, "Unreal") rather than try to shoehorn unreal's multiplayer-focused spinoff back into a singleplayer game.

I'm just not a fan of games trying to be everything. Stick to one audience.

18. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Well-Known Member

I don't think it took itself that seriously (most if it was just a joke) and I am not fan of tourney style that much either, so I like UT3 single much better than UT2004 or UT2003 one, better was first UT with its real plain tourney and with the info of the other teammates and opposing team (even if I couldn't stand the story conflicts related back to Unreal or the fact that some of these temple environments and otehr things were built by Liandri(seriously wtf)), but that's it...
    And I never played UC2, but some of the story seems really crappy in there and not joky at all....I don't want a TV show from game....

19. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

UC2 had far less cutscenes than UT3. It had a bit more game modes as well, a favourite of mine being "kill more nali than your opponent before the time runs out".

20. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

UC2 had some good singleplayer ideas, though I personally believe that it could do just fine without anything more than a UT or UT2004 styled tournament ladder.

Not every game needs to have a storyline - take Left 4 Dead for instance. It's an established genre and we all get the gist of the idea without being force-fed cheesy one-liners and silly premises. Also, its campaign offline is identical to the one that is online.