The "Major UT3 Expansion"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What will the "Major UT3 Expansion" be?

• Total voters

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
I voted the 2nd option, because I believe that's what it will be. But it had damn well better be a free download for those of us that bought the game, because if it's not the first option in this poll, it ain't worth paying for.

Agreed there. Mark Rein had made the statement many months ago that lots of cool stuff was coming for UT3, and yet we are still waiting.

Mark Rein made statements many more months ago about all of the features that would be in UT3 when it was released. That was all smoke and mirrors. If you take what he says, and a dollar, you can get a cup of coffee just about anywhere.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
Simply put, I'm not spending another dime on UT3.

Whatever it is, if it's not free, I'm not going to bother.

Agreed. How many people paid the big price for this game only to see it selling for $10 a few months later. Epic ignored all of the feedback from the demo and fixed nothing in the retail. We shouldn't have to pay for what should have been there in the first place.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Agreed. How many people paid the big price for this game only to see it selling for $10 a few months later. Epic ignored all of the feedback from the demo and fixed nothing in the retail. We shouldn't have to pay for what should have been there in the first place.
Some things were fixed in the retail. Most things were fixed in Patch 1, 2 1/2 weeks later, and the first beta release of this patch - which was fairly widely circulated - was 3 days after the release of the game. You don't call that support? I paid $60 for the Collector's Edition, and guess what? I'm not regretting it ANY TIME I boot up and play the game. Ever.

Crybabies... We don't need players like you playing the game. I'd much rather have players who I know will support the game as opposed to crying about it all the time. So go on, get out of here. Leave. There's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Some things were fixed in the retail. Most things were fixed in Patch 1, 2 1/2 weeks later, and the first beta release of this patch - which was fairly widely circulated - was 3 days after the release of the game. You don't call that support? I paid $60 for the Collector's Edition, and guess what? I'm not regretting it ANY TIME I boot up and play the game. Ever.

Crybabies... We don't need players like you playing the game. I'd much rather have players who I know will support the game as opposed to crying about it all the time. So go on, get out of here. Leave. There's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out. :rolleyes:

Done.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY

NOTHING was fixed when the retail came out. Only some things have been fixed after three patches. The graphics in this game are very pretty. That doesn't make it a great game. Some people can be fooled by fluff instead of substance. Look at all of the promises of what this game was going to be and then look at what we got. There aren't even as many features as there were in UT 04, let alone the stuff that was supposed to be even better. The Bot AI was going to be the best ever. Do you really see that? You can't even command the bots like in '04. If the game was as good as you claim, would there be nothing but empty servers? The master server is such a piece of crap, you don't know if your ping will be 30 or 500 until you actually join a game ( if you can find one ). Blind support of this game won't make it better. Pointing out the failures might. It's not a bad game, but, it needs a LOT of fixing.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Considering the community content already availble, I would buy it now, even if it came only with the editor and the barebones engine. Not for 60€ = 100$ really, but I wouldn't mind to spend 40$ or so.

I'm having fun with this damn game. Across all gametypes, there are enough servers and players. Offline, besides DOM and TDM-4teams I'm going to try BombingRun tomorrow. It's irrelevant where the content came from.

And somehow it's hard for me to play on more than one server at the same time. Maybe I'm missing something here though :rolleyes:

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004

Since what half the game is still missing i wouldnt call it support...

I gúess you and about the half dozen others can keep the UT franchise economiclly feasible:eek:

UT3 didnt bomb because gamers dislike the game, UT3 bombed because its a bad game and because Epic has driven the franchise rock bottom trough several subpar releases of Unreal titles...

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
And there's something else, why do people bother posting on Unreal Tournament 3 forums, if they don't like the Unreal Tournament 3 game? Why investing so much time and effort discussing something you don't like?

Do you feel great that UT3 is in trouble, and if the franchise ends?

Last edited:

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
And there's something else, why do people bother posting on Unreal Tournament 3 forums, if they don't like the Unreal Tournament 3 game? Why investing so much time and effort discussing something you don't like?

Do you feel great that UT3 is in trouble, and if the franchise ends?

A) Because people like bitching about everything
B) Because people haven't given up on UT3 yet

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004

Well I agree with ya but Im not going to get started on the list of things I have, sure bug patching and fixing exploits is good but there is some fatal flaws with the game which havent been addressed yet. Some are just so blatant I wonder if Epic actually playtested the game decently before releasing it, the most obvious on I can think of is whacky blockin volumes in vctf and projectiles exploding when they hit certain patches of grass :confused:

A big one for me though is settings menus for custom gametypes, ones that go outside the bounds of DM/CTF etc type scoring/options.

I dont so much regret paying the money, Im saying I wouldnt pay it again for the other half of the game, Id consider expansion prices but only if I know my concerns/issues with the original game are addressed in this update. Im not paying good money for extra content tacked onto a broken game, whats more I wont pay full title price for that, so please do not repeat 2k3-2k4 :cool:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
NOTHING was fixed when the retail came out.
Have some info to back that up? How about, if one single issue regardless of size was fixed, you are wrong. :p
Only some things have been fixed after three patches. The graphics in this game are very pretty. That doesn't make it a great game. Some people can be fooled by fluff instead of substance. Look at all of the promises of what this game was going to be and then look at what we got. There aren't even as many features as there were in UT 04, let alone the stuff that was supposed to be even better. The Bot AI was going to be the best ever. Do you really see that? You can't even command the bots like in '04. If the game was as good as you claim, would there be nothing but empty servers? The master server is such a piece of crap, you don't know if your ping will be 30 or 500 until you actually join a game ( if you can find one ). Blind support of this game won't make it better. Pointing out the failures might. It's not a bad game, but, it needs a LOT of fixing.
I don't have the wool over my eyes about the problems with UT3, but most of the people complaining review it much more harshly than I ever could. I have gotten my money's worth out of it, repeatedly.

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
Seeya.

NOTHING was fixed when the retail came out. Only some things have been fixed after three patches.
Nothing? Then pray tell, what caused two different engine versions between the two games? Maybe the fixes weren't immediately apparent, or even gameplay fixes, but there were fixes.

The graphics in this game are very pretty. That doesn't make it a great game. Some people can be fooled by fluff instead of substance. Look at all of the promises of what this game was going to be and then look at what we got. There aren't even as many features as there were in UT 04, let alone the stuff that was supposed to be even better.
UT2004 was two games in one - it added basically several game modes to an already established game, UT2003, that had been developed for the last few years, including a bonus pack or two of content. If you were expecting UT3 to ship with as much content as UT2004 did, you need to get your head checked.

To be fair, they did drop the ball with talking about stuff that ended up getting cut, but just because there's not two games worth of content in UT3 doesn't make it an inferior game in the slightest. After all, how many people really played Bombing Run, Double Domination, and Assault online on a REGULAR basis? I can only name a few people for assault, and that's because they were in one of the top AS clans at the time.
The Bot AI was going to be the best ever. Do you really see that? You can't even command the bots like in '04. If the game was as good as you claim, would there be nothing but empty servers?
The V menu doesn't exist? Last I checked, it does. It might not have the voice recognition features (which, by the way, were hardly used but existent in 2k4) but you can command bots around fine. Though most players here don't deal with playing bots.
The master server is such a piece of crap, you don't know if your ping will be 30 or 500 until you actually join a game ( if you can find one ).
That is due to Gamespy which was a pretty bad decision, but most of the times I've checked on a server the ping was fairly accurate. The problem is more with the netcode still not having lag compensation than anything, but then you'll get people crying about dud shots that hit you through walls. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Blind support of this game won't make it better. Pointing out the failures might. It's not a bad game, but, it needs a LOT of fixing.
Yes, and that'd be good... if the game were released last week. But let me make this clear:

WE HAVE BEEN HEARING THE SAME THINGS FOR THE LAST YEAR NOW.

They get it by now! They've heard it more times than they can count. I've read posts like yours more times than I can count. I THINK THEY UNDERSTAND!

Hopefully the expansion will come out, deliver the sort of fixes people are looking for, and then that will be the end of hearing about the bitching. Frankly, you should be kissing their asses for wanting to make an expansion with how little support they've gotten for the game from people like you!

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
After all, how many people really played Bombing Run, Double Domination, and Assault online on a REGULAR basis? I can only name a few people for assault, and that's because they were in one of the top AS clans at the time.

I played Domination and Assault offline all the time. UT3 offline is kinda boring when it's less variety, and nothing new but the same games we've had for years. But I know, offline players don't count.

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
I played Domination and Assault offline all the time. UT3 offline is kinda boring when it's less variety, and nothing new but the same games we've had for years. But I know, offline players don't count.
And that's the key. If you play it offline or not, UT is meant to be a online game. And the simple fact of the matter is nobody played those modes online. What did people play? Onslaught and VCTF. Unsurprisingly, those two modes made it into UT3 with some tweaks (ONS + Ball + Small AS-like objectives = WAR, VCTF = Full bot support, something nobody ever really talks about.)

It's not that offline players don't matter - they do, but simply put, if it's not played online, it has a much higher chance of meeting the axe. That's why BR and DDOM got axed.

That leaves Assault. Assault was good; it wasn't broken like in UT, and it had many distinctive strategies per map, some annoying, some effective. The problem is... nobody made a *REALLY* good Assault map for it. Ever. The Epic maps are the shining examples; there were a few attempts at quality maps like those in the second bonus pack but they still were pale compared to Epic's. Most were incredibly stupid race maps or trial maps, and as popular as those were for the game, they weren't "true" Assault maps. Throw in the fact that Assault maps are probably about 10x as much work as a "basic" DM/CTF map and that lead to the axing of that particular game mode.

I'm not saying that a developer shouldn't take risks with new game modes, but simply put, if they're not played, don't waste time, energy, resources, or anything into it for the next iteration. ONS and VCTF worked, so they got revamps; BR and DDOM didn't, and so they were extinguished. They might come back to them like they did with AS, or they might not. Time will tell, and support from the community will be key.

[SARCASM]Oh wait, UT3 has a community? Silly me, everyone would rather keep harping on them how it's a disaster, rather than shutting up and letting them do the dirty work...[/SARCASM]

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I won't downplay how important the offline community is. I played thousands of hours of UT offline, hundreds of hours of UT2003 offline and dozens of hours of UT2004 offline.

But, for me, what kept all of those games alive offline was CUSTOM CONTENT. Screw Epic's content. While nice, no amount of standard content is going to last long enough to satiate you. Plus, the community comes up with some pretty kick-A stuff, like Prometheus.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Thing is, the people constantly whining about it categorically do not know why it failed generally, only why they didn't like it. :p