The "Major UT3 Expansion"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What will the "Major UT3 Expansion" be?

• Total voters

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Its rather ugly aswell, the tracer looks more like an energy beam, the animations looks and feels speed up, when you hit someone they got that red haze that lits up the body oh and it looks ugly aswell.

Also when you do hit someone all you get is a whimpy cloud of blood that lasts less than a fraction of a second, hardly any blood stains if any.

Fragging someone is highly unrewarding aswell as they simply lump to the ground in an unspectacular fashion barely any blood.

While scoring a direct headshot is a nice touch it dosent make up for the rest of the sniper rifle being a failure in everything else.

The UT2004 sniperrifle, it's probably based on some removed model as it doesn't have real animatons and the sound(not sure) and the zoom is stolen from unreal warfare (what eventually became gears of war).
The sound just doesn't fit it at all, you can hear reloading but you don't see even own hand, phail!

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The UT2004 sniperrifle, it's probably based on some removed model as it doesn't have real animatons and the sound(not sure) and the zoom is stolen from unreal warfare (what eventually became gears of war).
The sound just doesn't fit it at all, you can hear reloading but you don't see even own hand, phail!

Stolen. From a game that wasn't even announced at that time. And that was being developed by the very same company. Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Copycat strikes again. Link
Just take a look at their new main poll.
One alternative is looking really promising.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
While scoring a direct headshot is a nice touch it dosent make up for the rest of the sniper rifle being a failure in everything else.
How is it a failure in anything? It kills people in two shots for non-head shots and a single shot for headshots.

You shoot, it kills, it's done it's job.

$hagratH

Jan 24, 2008
i think they can make over 100 bonus/megapacks,,it wont change anything im afraid
the players that went out and got ut3,,and saw what crap it was,,,they dont start playing it again cuz of some bonuspacks.
yeh,,,over 100000 million copies sold:D thats great,,but were are thoose players??
not online NO i dnt think they even play the game :rolleyes:
so NO..not interested in any bonuspacks or anything else for that matter that concerns UT3.....UT3 made me go back to 2K4:) and that was great
thnx UT3 and epic for that
ttyl ppl
cya/bye

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
Lack of content was hardly a problem for UT3, if the expansion is simply more content and not a major revamp of the game from the ground up it will fail IMO

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Lack of content was hardly a problem for UT3, if the expansion is simply more content and not a major revamp of the game from the ground up it will fail IMO
Then for you it's going to fail. Might as well not get your hopes up.

Rebuilding the game from scratch is just not going to happen. For one thing, the majority of the gameplay is perfectly fine. For another thing, it would simply take too much time and money to do that for an "expansion".

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada

Rebuilding the game from scratch is just not going to happen. For one thing, the majority of the gameplay is perfectly fine. For another thing, it would simply take too much time and money to do that for an "expansion".
Let's face it, for some people it's just going to fail anyway. There's nothing Epic can do about that.

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008

I'm not arguing that it will fail "for me" if this happens; it will fail, period. Lack of content was the least of UT3's problems.

I didn't say the gameplay needed an overhaul. I'm simply stating that, in my opinion, a UT3.5 that's fundamentally a big bonus pack and collection of bug fixes for UT3 will fail to attract the same players UT3 failed to attract when it was released. A more polished re-release of essentially the same game just won't convince players to give it a shot this time.

Do you disagree?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Not completely.

I think I see what you're getting at, I hope you simply mean it needs to be a UT2004-esque update or it won't increase playership.

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
Not completely.

I think I see what you're getting at, I hope you simply mean it needs to be a UT2004-esque update or it won't increase playership.

That is what I meant. I don't know if epic will take this route, but I hope they do

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I'm not arguing that it will fail "for me" if this happens; it will fail, period. Lack of content was the least of UT3's problems.

Actually I read on one of those DRM links that lack of content didnt come up in complaints much at all across a number of games (including TF2). Just thought I would mention that, I would tend to agree with you though I think people can get past that as long as theres steady support and enough polished content in the original package :cool:

UT2k4 actually included some of the unpolished content from 2k3 with no updates what so ever. Maybe people bought that game purely on content because I think its debatable as to the quality of the gameplay.

I still stand by my comments on makin a UT2k4-2 though, I think we are well past that and people are just going to have to accept that. judging by industry trends for hardcore scifi FPS I dont think people are over the games we were playing 10yrs ago :(

Edit: Can we start calling it a standalone expansion or a re-release instead of 2k4-like/esque because its not easy to follow!

Last edited:

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Actually I read on one of those DRM links that lack of content didnt come up in complaints much at all across a number of games (including TF2). Just thought I would mention that, I would tend to agree with you though I think people can get past that as long as theres steady support and enough polished content in the original package :cool:

UT2k4 actually included some of the unpolished content from 2k3 with no updates what so ever. Maybe people bought that game purely on content because I think its debatable as to the quality of the gameplay.

I still stand by my comments on makin a UT2k4-2 though, I think we are well past that and people are just going to have to accept that. judging by industry trends for hardcore scifi FPS I dont think people are over the games we were playing 10yrs ago :(

Edit: Can we start calling it a standalone expansion or a re-release instead of 2k4-like/esque because its not easy to follow!

TF2 was early primarly released trough the Orange box and came along with HL2 Ep1, Ep2 and Portal if i recall correctly.

Onslaught and Skaarj most likley... Skaarj where dissapontingly lacking:mad:

Scifi shooters stopped evolving and started regressing thats why they stopped selling. Main reason why ID and Epic isnt the kings of FPS games anymore, sure they make nice engines with nice eycandy, but eyecandy dosent make a game playable for years or remembable.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
TF2 was early primarly released trough the Orange box and came along with HL2 Ep1, Ep2 and Portal if i recall correctly.

Perhaps yes but the game was still available by itself (standalone+steam) as with the "Expansions" for HL2 and portal.

See no one complained about HL2 not having enough content or Ep1 and then Ep2, people obviously have a clear idea what constitutes an expansion vs a bonus pack. For me what they do with TF2 is bonus packs, what they do for HL2 is expansion packs (standalone).

I think Epic is best off going a similar direction, making the game run on its own exe but relying on UT3 content so it wouldnt be standalone but it still allows a certain level of upgrades an expansion without its own exe would. Ofcoarse they could simply update the old exe but I think its better to have the old one there if youd like to run that version incase of any incompatibilities.

With UT2k4 you didnt have the option to play UT2k3 even though when installing 2k4 you essentially installed 2k3, it was neither a sequel or expansion! It was more like a re-release.

For me Id much prefer Epic stick to the expansion route, I really dont wanna stuff around with rebate and pay full price for what I already own (yet again). If its like this I can happily stroll into the shop (if they still sell PC games :lol:) and pickup a copy of the expansion at the right price, people without UT3 can opt for the bundle perhaps at the price of a full title. Sure they might get it alittle bit cheaper but hell UT3 dropped in price pretty dramatically :p

So yes Id rather not pay $100 odd aud just to find out I have another box of fail :eek: