1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The "Major UT3 Expansion"

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by WaitForTheRain, Oct 23, 2008.

?

What will the "Major UT3 Expansion" be?

1. UT4 (like UT2003-2004

41.9%
  2. Just a big expansion

47.0%
  3. Something else

11.1%
  1. UndeadRoadkill

UndeadRoadkill New Member

Hey, you apologized to him! http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=180144&page=4

Then why does my SATA drive have a four-pin socket? I avoid using those little SATA plugs if I can, they fall out at the drop of a hat.

2. In73gr4L

In73gr4L New Member

Well, I remember that retard who started crying about offline gameplay in a topic that was solely about the online gameplay of an online orientated game. Further, to "prove that she's hardcore" she continued arguing even though she was fundamentally wrong in the first place for derailing a topic by bringing in irrelevant dribble about offline gameplay. The fact that she revived an internet (lolz serious business hey) argument that was finished weeks ago really does reinforce the observation you have no life. A further reply from you beating the dead horse that is that topic, will simply cement the fact that the internet is all you have going for you.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. hilo_

hilo_ New Member

I remember people giving that "but it's only a beta demo" excuse, but I never understood how they thought epic would fix all the issues in less than a month. As soon as I played it I knew UT3 was headed for failtown. Hell, it's been a year and it's still not where it should have been at release. (no ut3 hate, jus' sayin')

Of course I still bought the game, hoping that I was wrong, but I wasn't, sadly.

I agree completely, even if they had "fixed" the game before release that demo would have nearly doomed it anyway

I wish epic luck with this expansion, I will surely keep an eye out for it, but short of a miracle I don't see this "saving" UT3, unless they overhaul the bejeebus out of it, to even a greater degree than 2k3-->2k4. I'd rather them give up on UT3 and go for a kick-ass UT4 or a completely different game but that's just my opinion

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. TheIronKnuckle

TheIronKnuckle What the hell is this "ballin" thing?

5. UndeadRoadkill

As clueless as ever, I see.

6. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

It was wishfull thinking, or perhabs i should say denial, i kept telling myself that the demo must have been stripped clean to keep its filesize down, thats what i wanted to belive..

Me too, my only hope for this "expansion" is that it's pretty cheap and atleast restores the basic stuff i need to enjoy it offline, and engine updates aiding mods, so i get my 50 bux worth out of UT3, then it wont have been a total loss, but i seriously doubt it will be the huge overhaul required to save the game, that it will bring the players back online in droves or increase its popularity and bring in many new players.

Lets face it, there is just so much broken with UT3 that it is entirely unrealistic for an expansion pack to fix it all, it wont happen, its going to leave behind many gripes about the game, because UT3 really was shoddy on all levels (shoddy, as in lacking the polish and good design choices that make a quallity product), from the most basic stuff like its file structure, all the way up to the top like the artistic vision behind it (the War theme, people just don't dig it), we find annoying little niggles and big problems throughout the game, perhabs they can get rid of the big problems, but many of the little annoyances will no doubt remain (in short, they can add back the polish the game deserves, but the bad design choices will be a nightmare to weed out without making it a whole new game), i just don't see how they can fix all of this with an expansion.

Hopefully they will be able to turn UT3 into a game i will actually install and play with this expansion, but what we really need is a new Unreal or a propper UT4.

7. UndeadRoadkill

You know, the funny thing is, I would rather play a game about a war than a game about a sporting event, but I still think UT3 suffered for what they did there.

8. Bishop F Gantry

Bishop F Gantry New Member

Its not really a war either, UT3's singleplayer is just Deathmatch with Bots and Pokemon cards. The supposed war with the Necris is a complete joke.

9. ne_skaju

ne_skaju lost and found

I enjoy playing UT3 despite of gamespy and such stuff. Of course, in-game poor server browses isnt helping to stay in game longer, you may use third-party software to find servers. As fas as there some nwCTF activity, im there.

My biggest wish for expansion is they should drop gamespy and find another system, like steam, maybe it should be optional (for those who have no internet). Also, i dont mind if they will add MSUC winners — maps, mods and gametypes— and some new offical ones. BTW, in steam added support to third-party mods (DL and update) there could be added cool mods like UT3 Jailbreak (like Mare Nostrum mod for Red Orchestra).

10. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

Me too, i like war games, and i'm really not all that into sports, but UT just isen't a war game, no matter how you spin it, it's an arena shooter, and the only backstorry that really worked for it was the Tournament, it made all the otherwise silly and over the top things OK, it allowed for suspension of disbelief, it was supposed to be grand and over the top, why else would people watch such a bloodsport?

Its may be a very corny backstorry, but it just plain works, and allows UT to be the zany, colourfull and over the top arena shooter that it is and should be.

But trying to make it into a belivable war.. not possible, just look at the poor excuses they had to crowbar in there to explain why it plays the way it does, Field Lattice Generator!? and even if we accept that one, why on earth would any military leave a vital bit of kit like that out in the open for anyone to steal anyway? woulden't it be under lock and key in a bunker? or at the very least chained to the ground? the whole thing just leaves giant plotholes all over the place, and we really have to strain to try and immerse ourselves into that storry..

I seriously doubt that many people even view the game in that light, they just forget all about that useless backstorry and try to view it as a game of UT and nothing else, hell, most of the 3'rd party maps you see are definately going for a good old UT arena look, and not trying to pass themselves off as some kind of battlefield in a war.

But even though we can personally choose to ignore the theme, we are still restricted by it in many ways, Epic made many design choices that try to force their War theme, obviously in all their stock game content and graphics, but sadly, also when it comes to modding (player models especially, and trying to escape it when playing IA offline is hopeless).

11. IronMan(Erie)

IronMan(Erie) Member

I like UT3. I prefer UT and UT2004 more but that is because I've played them longer. The issue keeping me from playing UT3 was lack of good maps. I complained of that months ago in another thread but since then there have been loads of great maps released and I'm very satisfied. That was all I needed. I can adjust to the different feel of gameplay that UT3 has and I really dig the weapons too.
    Here is a thought I've harbored for quite some time: I wish that the COD series of games had bots so I could play offline or a small LAN. That series of games never had bots and nobody complains about that but people bitch about the UT3 bots. How about Quake 4 not having bots? Quake 3 had them so why were they left out? That ruined that game for me a little bit.
    I'm just glad that the UT series has a strong offline feature that most other games lack and a strong custom content community. I hope the expansion is free but if it's not I hope it's only a $20 (USD) price tag.

12. oldkawman

oldkawman Master of Your Disaster

Totally lame reason. Drives are dirt cheap.

1.5 TB drive for $150
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138742&Sku=TSD-1500AS

500Gb drive for $70
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138742&Sku=TSD-1500AS

I am sure they are even cheaper other places online.

Because when the first SATA drives came out in 2003-2004, the SATA 1 or SATA 150 type, some had both the old molex and the new power connector specified in the SATA standard. That means your drive is at least 4 years old and the "slow" SATA 150 type. That must be a pretty tiny drive if it's that old. But, yes, the wafer type connector has and still has issues. Coming unplugged is a simple cable strain relief issue. The worse issue being that the drive connector can easily be damaged or broken off due to the design.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  13. UndeadRoadkill

It's not an excuse, it's a reason. Sorry if you don't share my values.

14. WHIPperSNAPper

WHIPperSNAPper New Member

They seem to be going with Stardock's IMPULSE system (as opposed to Steam). I'm glad that they would seem to have hooked up with Stardock to some small extent since Stardock is the distributor for two excellent games that feel like PC games -- Galactic Civilizations and Sins of a Solar Empire.

15. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

And what proof do you have of this?

16. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I'd rather have them go for Steam, personally. It has a better achievement system, a better community system, and they could take advantage of Steam Cloud (saving your settings and stuff on Steam servers).

17. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

I understand the attractions of that route but it would be a deal breaker for some of us (probably few). :(

18. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

why that ? steam sure evolved since it's launch with HL2.
    having UT3 mods on steam with automatic updates would be great.

the best thing IMO : normal install doesn't require an online activation, and never needs one as long as you play offline. if you play online, then you need steam.

19. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Compared to Gamespy? I'd take Steam over Gamespy any day.

20. IronMonkey

IronMonkey Moi?

Gamespy came close to being a deal breaker. :)

In the end it is a question of choice. Give something up and get something in return or don't give something up and don't get something in return.

In my case, I chose not to install Steam and I know I've missed out. I was a huge fan of SiN (couldn't care less about HL) and it was a real pity that I never got to play the later incarnation of the game.

In any event, let's stay on topic - you don't try to convince me how wonderful Steam is and I promise not to tell you why it sucks. :)