Epic Announces "Major" UT3 Expansion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Any idea of when we could hear more on this expansion? I'm dying to see which way they're going to go with this one :D
I think that the earliest we would hear anything is in about another month. Their focus, right now, is no doubt on letting Gears get most of the press right now.

And that's assuming they don't stay tightlipped out of fear of what happened to UT3.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
(And i've encountered yet another missing page error! :lol: There is no page 25 even though it says there is one. And the moment i post this i'm going to be ON page 25! ZOMFG :lol:)

This happens when posts get deleted from a thread, the page counter does not get updated with the new number of posts in the thread, it still counts the deleted ones, so you can get phantom pages as the forum software adds thouse that nolonger exist.

It has existed for quite a while now, the VB guys really should fix it..

TalRasha

Oct 20, 2008
What I would really like to see is a better way to control the bots, i.e. in warfare mode. OK, the promised speech-recognition feature is probably not realistic.

But they should add a very simple interface to the map, which shows the location of all allies and gives me the opportunity to assign bots to certain locations on the map. This would add a minimal element of strategy to the game and make things a lot more fun.
seems like they actually tried to do that but it doesn't work at all (see the menu while in warfare game)
i would love that, its just so retarded when bots pick the orb when the enemie power core is vulnerable. what do they plan to do with it? the announcer even suports this non sense AI
with a better control of the team, the enemie team would also need to get smarter to balance out, or else i would have to rely completely on a friend to play on lan

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
I've been gravely disappointed in UT3 so far, both in gameplay and in user support. I want to make custom characters, but I use max8, and they won't release the files we need to start working. Without the base male/female/krall skeleton files, we can't do anything. Come on, guys - what did we ever do to you?

I got the collector tin edition hoping it would include custom player model tutorials on the DVD. But it didn't. Not one. It was all geared to the mappers, who Epic seems to love more than the model makers. We model makers were left to fend for ourselves, just like ID software does with all their games, and Max8- users in particular were shut out completely. Bad form Epic - bad form.

As to the gameplay, the article boasted that they've sold over a million units. I jumped onto a server the other day. Hardly anyone was playing. The vast majority of servers are empty. Does it matter how many units are sold if no one's playing?

This 'major expansion' had better be just that, and address all these issues and more. If not, I'll be uninstalling and going back to UT2004. At least people are still playing that one, and it's more fun to boot.

PS - Epic? You know why so many people are saying this game is ugly? FSAA! Stop saying the engine doesn't support it, that's a cop-out and you know it. If you can put all that other stuff in, then you can put in FSAA that doesn't force the user to re-write half his INI files to maybe-get-it-to-work-but-probably-not.

UT3 currently suffers from Rainbow Lockdown syndrome. It took them four years and gazillions of dollars to make a more expensive game with LESS content.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Less content? I think it's pretty enough.

Are you comparing UT3 to UT2003+lots of new thrown stuff=UT2004? (regarding the amount of contents).

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
It depends on your POV I suppose. On the one hand, you've got more vehicles. And normalmapping. And 'PhysX' (when the maps support it). So that's 'more' content. On the other hand, less game types. Fewer player model types. Fewer maps. No FSAA. UI is clunky and slow and you have to 'load' it. All significant changes have to be done manually in the INI files. There's longer load times in general. No Bot customization. No team customization. No Player Model tutorial videos from Epic. No Player Model files for Max8- users.

So overall, I say 'less content'. Yes the stuff that IS in is well done. But compare it to UT2004 and UT3 comes up short.

And again - without FSAA, it just doesn't look as good or feel as smooth.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Would it be too much to ask for "tags" to actually be useful instead of things like "thisgame still suxorsomfg!!!"?

Tags that are actually useful down there:

official
2 weeks
expansion
darkpulse is wrong

(what? No "UT3" tag out of that entire mess!?)

Runner ups: "mmmmmmmmister crow!" and "ripjack"