Blizzard fail.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, it's supposed to be backed by something that DOES have value, but that's not really true anymore. So, there again, it only has the value that someone gives to it.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
So how much value does an American dollar note have then?

$1 = $1. It's the value that production adds to it.
It's what turns a piece of paper that basically costs nothing at all, into a piece of paper whose sole function IS being worth $1 by adding print, signatures, seals, etc.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
^ That doesn't make sense. :lol: All you said is a dollar is worth itself which is the most obvious thing ever.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
It makes as much sense as the question it's trying to answer :)
And yeah, that's kind of the point of my post, showing that a currency is obviously not a product in the typical sense of the word.
Namely, the value of a dollar is a certain amount of gold, as defined by the government. Not by the consumers themselves.

Which contradicts Murphy's argument.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It makes as much sense as the question it's trying to answer :)
And yeah, that's kind of the point of my post, showing that a currency is obviously not a product in the typical sense of the word.
Namely, the value of a dollar is a certain amount of gold, as defined by the government. Not by the consumers themselves.

That used to be true, but it's not physically possible that that is true anymore.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Even today, it still applies.
If you want to buy gold with your money, you can. The problem comes when everyone wants to buy gold at the same time;)

Even if you leave the gold part out of the equation, the value of money is not determined by the people using it. So it is nothing like a regular retail product or service.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Even today, it still applies.
If you want to buy gold with your money, you can. The problem comes when everyone wants to buy gold at the same time;)
Uhh.... that means that it's NOT secured by gold anymore. If it was, then everyone would be able to cash out their "notes" for actual gold.
Even if you leave the gold part out of the equation, the value of money is not determined by the people using it. So it is nothing like a regular retail product or service.
Wut? Of course the value of money is determined by the people who use it. If you're talking about foreign exchange rates, that something different than "value of money".

As the cost of products and services goes up, the value of the dollar goes down (because you need more of them to get the same things).

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Definitely. Also, there is a poll where you can vote which bank will fail next.
@Brizz: the foreign exchange rates are exactly what this is all about. Make your products twice as expensive in your country and people will just get them elsewhere, thus depreciating your currency again.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Definitely. Also, there is a poll where you can vote which bank will fail next.
@Brizz: the foreign exchange rates are exactly what this is all about. Make your products twice as expensive in your country and people will just get them elsewhere, thus depreciating your currency again.
But then they have to deal with customs and imports fees, and so that doesn't usually work.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
I think this (= fanboys willing to pay for anything) is the only way something like a pay-to-play service could be introduced to the pc-gamer (still alive).

I also think y'all don't give the fanboi's enough credit. Maybe they will all summarily dismiss the notion of pay-to-play (if that is what happens) and D3 WILL be an epic fail?!?!
Could happen.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Judging by the number of World of Warcraft subscribers, I'd have to say: "No". :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The dollar is only worth something because the people who use it believe it is, and they believe it because the government says it's worth something. It's called fiat currency.

The problem with it, however, is that it has no true value. There's no guarantee a dollar today will be worth a dollar tomorrow, so saving dollars long term is a total gamble -- maybe it'll be worth the same when you take it out, maybe it'll be worth more, but odds are it'll be worth less given a general trend toward inflation.

I've heard that all economies run on a fiat system have failed eventually, so... Yeah. D:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I also think y'all don't give the fanboi's enough credit. Maybe they will all summarily dismiss the notion of pay-to-play (if that is what happens) and D3 WILL be an epic fail?!?!
Could happen.

it could ... just like UT3 failed because the fanbois decided that it wasn't their cup of tea simply because of the GUI-design chosen.

However you need to keep in mind that Diablo/StarCraft both have huge communities that are still playing that game.
Except for the complaints about the graphics being 'too bright' (easily countered by the devs) there hasn't been a real negative response yet.
Most still appear to be willing to buy into whatever Blizzard decides to release.
And if Blizzard makes the transition from 'free' to 'pay-to-play' slow and subtle enough most of them will be too addicted to complain.

Diablo hasn't had any real competitors and the few that have come didn't change anything in the core concept of the genre, unlike the fps-genre.

Starcraft has not much too fear either as its basic concept has managed to survive.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Judging by the number of World of Warcraft subscribers, I'd have to say: "No". :)

I'd have to say that's different. With MMO games, the people paying are expecting MASSIVE content, and not that they can play online. With Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2, you're paying for something you had free several years ago. It's a pretty stupid move on Blizzard's part.

(btw I need to start posting here some more)

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
My "argument" if you can even call it that was that some things are just valued although their supply is not limited and their production does not cost a lot.

Therefore it makes sense for people to pay for a service they like (Battlenet in this case) eventhough maintenance and updates don't cause costs for Blizzard that would have to be compensated by that payment.

I don't play Diablo online except when I'm playing Open Battlenet with friends so I don't care if they start charging for Battlenet. As long as there is a Lan option and a program like Hamachi I don't care.