1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Blizzard fail.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by T2A`, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Shadow

Shadow Has Balls Of Steel

If people can create hundreds of Emulated WoW servers I guess anything is possible.

2. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

I don't see how they can possibly justify this as a smart business decision. Paying to play an online game has only worked in MMO games. It's the only viable way to get a big enough server. When you're talking a game between a few dozen players everyone will just bypass the service, and use things like benetd. Add an economic recession into the mix, and I think people will be very unwilling to pay any kind of fee for online play. In fact assuming it's not an all out depression I wouldn't be surprised if the economic downturn hurts the MMO market, while leaving the rest of video gaming relatively untouched.

3. The Dopefish

The Dopefish Active Member

You know how they'll justify it?

$60 console games.

Virtual Console/Live Arcade/Playstation Network.

The prices of Blu-rays vs. DVDs.

All of this has come relatively unchecked by consumers. Why? Because people will pay it, and there's more of a profit to be made. And, yes, I'm sure they're all well aware of the economic situation.

4. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

The thing is, even if the only pay parts are convenience features like on Games for Windows Live, it will still making playing online more of a pain than it should be.

And the problem is, unlike Microsoft's system, Blizzard fanboys will pay for anything Blizzard does, so they don't have to worry about losing customers over this.

5. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

Why does that sound so familiar hmmmz :lol:

6. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Lol T2A, you sure don't give Anoobis a break.

7. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

It's the single most horrifying picture I've ever seen on the interbutts. I want to forget it, but I just can't! :(

8. ilkman

ilkman The Outcast God

They have too now? Well with the coorporate suits breathing down their necks then yes, they do have to. If its a money thing then well I can't help but wonder where all that WoW money is going. Besides they've ran B.net for the past 10 years for free, why the sudden need to monetize it now?

Just look at the rage surrounding Hellgate London if you want to know how a 'monetized' non-MMO game turns out. The game had technical problems, but a lot of the rage was surrounding the subscription model as well. And if you put it in perspective a paid service system makes a lot more sense for Hellgate cause they don't have the money siphon that is WoW to support them. So if it failed for them, well......Blizzard has their retarted fanbase to rely on. They'll suckle at the teet of Blizzard even if its nothing but raw sewage.

For now I'll wait and see. He said 'monetize' but there are no details. There are lots of ways to monetize something. When you place a banner ad on a website you've 'monetized' it. I won't jump to the immediate conclusion that it'll be subscription based, but sadly that is what it sounds like it'll be.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  9. flo0tz

flo0tz New Member

Agreed. I'm guessing (hoping?) that Blizz will only be charging for things like clan/guild support and premium content. Given that BNet2 will be a (mostly) free system, I don't have a problem with them charging for private clan channels/pages etc.

So long as they don't monetize features of the games themselves - SC2/Diablo 3, I'll survive.

10. Matfei

Matfei [:«]Ω[»:]:Mױפקזג:]:

If that's all it is and it doesn't impede my ability to play with my mates online when we can't get together for a LAN then I dont have an issue with it.

Define "Premium Content" though?

11. Horror

Horror New Member

I can accept a monthly fee on MMOs (barely) because that is the way it has always been, and seems to be permenantly branded onto that genre. No way in hell would I pay to play Diablo III online. Diablo II was free and that was close to a decade ago - pay to play a monthly fee for a newer sexier version of Diablo II? I don't think so.

12. Kaleena

Kaleena Unregistered User

13. DarQraven

DarQraven New Member

I know a roomie who's going to go into a fit over this...

14. TossMonkey

TossMonkey brown bread?

I'm only getting it if it comes out on 360 anyway, I doubt I will be charged extra to play online if that is the case.

15. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

lol @ tags. I'm not that pissed because Blizz hasn't made anything worth buying in years but...

Blizzard really has sucked big floppy donkey dick when it comes to making games ever since they discovered the MMO. it turned them into hungry-hungry-hippos, starving for cash.

16. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

That's the issue -- Blizzard can define and redefine what they consider premium at any moment. They'll call it a necessary business move because running Battle.net isn't profitable in its current configuration. The consumer is pretty much bowing to the will of corporate greed.

Maybe premium means anything not over a LAN or direct connect. Premium could be any multiplayer over the interbutts if they wanted it to be. That's unlikely (I hope), but you never know. If anything, I'm guessing the premium stuff will be stat tracking and a profile system. You know, something they'll keep for everyone anyway, but they'll only provide access if the bPaidUsTonsOfMoney boolean in your account is set to true. :(

17. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

This news completely killed a happy part of me. Sticking with the old Diablo games.

18. Entr0p1cLqd

Entr0p1cLqd New Member

While I've got the game on pre-order I shall be keeping an eye on this rather depressing development. If I have to cancel the pre-order then so be it.

I never bothered with Battle.net for D2, preferring direct IP connection for my gaming needs ... and I don't really want to start with D3 either.

19. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

I've never installed any of those additional programs that some game ask you to install to play multiplayer. Gamespy or "Insert name" arcade. I doubt i'll even glance at this battle.net stuff.

It doesn't seem like a particularly good idea from Blizz but i imagine they'll justify it by offering anti-cheat and bonus content and from what i recall of the previous Diablos online they were riddled with "hax"

It seems like they're trying to build the foundations to maintain an income in a post WoW world to me. Which is fair enough.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  20. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

A COMPANY IS ASKING ME TO PAY FOR STUFF HOLY **** ITS THE END OF THE WORLD CORPORATE GREED AND RAGING AGAINST THE MACHINE RARARARARARARARARARARARARAR