1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Blizzard fail.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by T2A`, Oct 12, 2008.

1. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

Look, if advertising doesn't cover the cost of maintaining your website, you're doing something wrong. If game sales don't cover the cost of maintaining your servers, let people host their own damned servers for you. Charging people to play a non-mmo is not the way to go. I'm pretty glad I never gave a **** about their multi. Poor sc and diablo fanboys.

~Jason

3. kiff

kiff That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash

online gaming's just going to ****. glad I was around to enjoy it when it was at its best, late 90's - mid 2k's

4. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

Well they did say battle.net, they didnt mention they were gonna remove the open lan option. Still, pretty ****ty I agree but they obviously think theres enough people who will pay considering the success of WoW.

I have heard they are putting alot of effort into battle.net ready for the release of these two titles so you never know, they might just make it worth the money. Id still prefer it free but hey, diablo 3 is gonna be SP as well hey :cool:

5. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Between this and the Starcraft II single-player getting broken into 3 stand-alone games I'm really skeptical of the Activision-Blizzard merger. This reeks of corporate drones at work. Not something that pre-merger Blizzard would've done (remember that big reveal 6 months ago of WoW was originally going to be ad supported?).

I can rationalize why they want to split up the SC2 campaign as my understanding is that the multiplayer is nearly done but they were just starting the single-player work a few months ago. So splitting the campaign (sounds quite large and ambitious) makes sense since it allows them to get the game out sometime in 2009. Which is fine since multiplayer is the big draw of that game anyways.

I love Blizzard as much as the next guy and I'm not liking this new future that the Activision merger appears to have created. Plus we can all thank Microsoft for demonstrating that gamers are more than willing to pay for online matchmaking. Welcome back to 1996 my friends. Let's go bust out our 28.8kbps modems and play us some MPlayer Quake.

6. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Long live Valve, Crytek, Tryach*, and IW.

*At some expectation.

7. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Wow... I guess we are witnessing the end of Blizzard as one of the great PC developers. Frankly, I'm not surprised. They haven't made a "real" PC game since Frozen Throne.

8. Juggalo Kyle

Juggalo Kyle Sup brah.

Yay! Because we all are made of moniez! =D

9. Airmoran

Airmoran Construct

So... you pay for some premium content or what?

'cause I frankly wouldn't mind a free, perfectly usable lobby and some extra "Insider" content that costs extra. At any rate, I think I'm going to wait for details before jumping on the RAAAAGE train.

10. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Damn it all this is starting to suck, but I still love their games enough to shell out absurd amounts of cash...

:(

11. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I don't love any company enough to shell out tons of cash when they take seedy business practices from one part of their business and decide to apply it to every part of their business.

12. Matfei

Matfei [:«]Ω[»:]:Mױפקזג:]:

Could it be Activision having a part in this...?

13. MonsOlympus

MonsOlympus Active Member

Wernt they doing it already before the merger? I still dont think its as bad as WoW tbh but hey, atleast these games you have an option to not subscribe right?

14. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

I'd pay $500 to not see Fallout be destroyed, I'd pay $500 to not see Deus Ex be destroyed, to me it's a blessing that Diablo and Starcraft came out of the mainstream noob market safely. :lol:

Okay, maybe I'm going a little overboard here but you get the point. D:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  15. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

I'm not buying it. This would be the single biggest blunder by a developer EVER, and I just don't believe they are that stupid. I'm reserving judgment until more details become available.

16. The Dopefish

The Dopefish Active Member

They see the money they are making from World of Warcraft and going with it.

I'm disappointed but hardly surprised. I think we are all starting to learn that even our video games aren't protected from the will of corporate greed. Or, THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

17. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

[​IMG]

Brand loyalty and fanboyism. Bad.

18. LG1X

LG1X New Member

Can't believe they make millions a month yet they have to do senseless things like that. Well, the american dollar continues to get hampered. I didn't think Blizzard would go that far honestly, but they did, how sad. Nothing but greedy wenches now. So, will this be the case for Diablo 3 Battle.net ? No way in hell will I pay to go online, steam is free and they update daily and they don't even make millions a month.

Guess the Blizzard-Activision acquisition was a bad one to say the least.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  19. Shadow

Shadow Has Balls Of Steel

Unbelievable. My respect to Blizzard has just plummeted. If this is true I'm going to be pissed off. I guess I'll have to get D3 and play off line because of Blizzards new greedy ass methods.

I hope the Diablo and StarCraft fans make a stand and refuse to pay for B.net 2.0. I know I wont.

20. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Let's hope the guys behind bnetd can work their magic again!

PS: I've never used this. Maybe it still works...?