1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Blizzard fail.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by T2A`, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

Internet emoing and conspiracy theories ftw.

You guys are making an awful lot of assumptions based on a very vague statement. Nowhere does it say diablo or sc2 will be "pay to play". It might as well be a paid service for increased xp rates or ingame penis hats as far as I understand it.

And I don't mind 2 expansions for SC2 as long as the base game is solid and complete.

2. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Member

If SC2 and D3 both become pay-to-play then I'll probably never play them, at least not online. I already feel pretty burned through by them splitting up SC2 into three games. At least with that they'll probably release a compilation pack a year or two down the road for the correct price.

Like others have said elsewhere on the internet, I would not be that suprised if Blizzard next forced us to buy D3 up five times to play as all the classes.

3. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

I think this (= fanboys willing to pay for anything) is the only way something like a pay-to-play service could be introduced to the pc-gamer (still alive).

I do wonder why Blizzard chose not to use Live! as their backbone for this feature as MS does appear to have everything covered.
    That is far more worrying than having to pay for (a part of) the 'service'.
    They would have to support it anyway if they think of bringing their game(s) to the Microsoft-consoles (isn't WoW rumoured to be on its way ?).

btw : I (also) doubt Valve's Steam will remain 'free' forever. Stuff like this is just too good to ignore from a business' point of view.

4. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Steam will remain free as long as Valve owns it. Even after that, the shopping and running games part of it will probably always be free (because the revenue part is from selling the game, not the community features, anyway).

Also, Slayer, I don't recall you saying that when Gears was reported to have gold level features in it :p

5. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

That's kinda my feelings as well, although my gut reaction was not very positive. This smells of Activision money milking.

D3 has already been confirmed to not be p2p and I doubt SC2 will.

The logical starting point would be charging small fees for automated SC2 tournament hostings and stuff like that. Based on information that's coming out from Blizzard after BlizzCon, it's sounding more like SC2 will have two expansions and each expansion will have one campaign focused on one faction. New units for multiplayer as is the norm. EDIT: I think a lot of people would be less up-tight about this if they had made it very clear from the start their intended scope of the single-player story. They're really trying to spin this as a "standard game with two expansions, which is very little different from the original + Brood War" instead of episodic content (at worst case).

D3 monetization is harder to determine. If I had to take a guess it sounds like WoW will be a test pilot for pay-for-customization features, and I assume if that's popular it will trickle into D3.

I personally don't think it's the end of the world, but I think the gaming community raised their eyebrows when they first heard this vague news. Especially given Blizzard's history with "free" online gaming on Battle.net.

EDIT: So yeah. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Blizzard future. I have faith that whatever they do won't suck, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that my wallet stands to get some major shafting. They're obviously on the defensive spin over these revelations so it will be interesting to see how everything turns out.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  6. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

The Fanboy term is getting kicked around rather a lot.

You know it's not a revolutionary discovery that people who like things are willing to make more sacrifices(pay) for the things they like.

Except you guys use the word like it's an insult. Which is odd. Does it cause bitterness in you guys to know someone likes something you can't appreciate and that they might be able to still enjoy it where you can't?

Flinging around the "Fanboy" term is a poor substitute for a good argument. There are plenty of ways(Which are more efficient) to complain about this issue(and others) without bitterly attacking people who are barely relevant to the issue.

7. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Thank you, someone who understands where I'm coming from. :lol:

It shouldn't be hard for people here to understand either, most people here are PC gaming fans and are willing to spend 1k - 3k on a new pc every couple years instead of just $400 on a console. :hmm:

Yeah guys, lets start boycotting buying 1k+ PCs and start stealing them from our local stores so they will start selling them to us at the same price of consoles! It's the right thing to do and is justified for this and that, ect, ect! :lol:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  8. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

Where are you coming from, again?
    ________
    Headshop

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  9. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

The insane asylum!! :crazydance:

10. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

hmmm, I'm not convinced.
    ________
    Daisygirl

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  11. Sir_Brizz

Most of us spend $500 every few years as opposed to what you said.

12. SlayerDragon

SlayerDragon LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

I never gave a crap about that. It was completely unsurprising. Nor, really, is this. People who get their knickers in a knot over a company charging for services are pretty stupid. Everyone wants something for free, but when a company decides its not profitable to give out that service for free any longer, you either pay up or move on. CORPORATE GREED RAR :mad:

13. Sir_Brizz

14. Shadow

Shadow Has Balls Of Steel

Clearing the confusion.

Well its all cleared up now. Battle.net wont be P2P. What they meant was Blizzard is thinking of small ways to make some extra cash off the new Battle.net like they did with WoW.

A small example is character name change charge. This doesn't mean making B.net P2P.

Source:

15. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Heh... Yup, not surprised, all the haters had to just jump to conclusions. :lol: (T2a being the biggest one of all :p) I'm still waiting to find out the full truth behind the Starcraft 2 thing.

16. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

I'm merely worried about being forced to spend another chunk of money on a console, a TV, and expensive games because no one wants to develop for PC anymore.

The last thing PC gaming needs is poor marketing choices from its few top-tier developers/publishers. Bad choices lead to more piracy. More piracy leads to more DRM bollocks. More DRM leads to even more piracy. Even more piracy leads to more companies blaming it for their games' terrible sales. More piracy blame leads to more companies ditching the PC for a more lucrative platform.

It's like companies seem to be doing the exact opposite of what they should be to try to make people realize a purchase is worth it, and I don't think going in this direction is going to end well. Console-only content, DRM, needlessly separating campaigns into three games, paying for multiplayer (or any should-be standard feature related to it), craptastic games that were obviously designed for consoles and not worthy of money, etc... That stuff is only going to increase piracy and shorten the PC's life as a viable gaming platform.

17. Sir_Brizz

This still doesn't negate anything about what Battle.net will be monetized for. You notice he avoided pointing out anything specifically relating to these games because they have not decided exactly what will be monetized.

This likely means that things like matchmaking, friends and stuff like that will fall under a subscription model. Yeah, you'll be able to play online for free (Gears PC anyone?) but you won't get any of the conveniences of the additional features.

The troubling thing about this is that they are more than likely going to have to monetize things that were free in Warcraft 3. That is why people are taking the "WHAT?" stance instead of just blindly accepting it.

Another troubling thing for me is that he said "changing your name" takes "development time". Sorry, but a standard game feature for millenia should be programmed right into the game from the start. Changing a name is a ten second job that some customer service rep can do while you wait on the phone right on your account. That sounds like something that should just come with any game, even with centralized servers (and yes, I realize that Xbox Live won't let you use an account name that has ever been used = retarded, but Live isn't really a good measuring stick for PC multiplayer functionality, right?).

18. Defeat

Defeat GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

19. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Oh didn't notice this post, yeah well I guess it's kind of hard for only us two to figure out what the average gamer spends. You could be right though, still you gotta admit you get way more bang for your buck on consoles and even if you're just a mouse and keyboard fan instead of pc gaming fan those are starting to become a feature on consoles and if play on a pc just for that you can technically say you're spending all the extra money just for that. :p Well and for the PC exclusives too I guess.

Yeah, yeah, it was free before so you should expect it free now. Actually it wasn't even there before but you should expect something this simple to just be there. Okay, but I really can't blame them at all for doing it, as long as it doesn't effect the core game. Well actually I didn't mind much either even then but that's just me. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  20. Sir_Brizz

Maybe for the console itself, but you spend more for games and accessories, so it's probably a wash either way. I just don't think the average person can afford to upgrade that often, and especially not for nearly $1000 each time.