CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
so sad =/ i wanted to buy GoW 1 but since there wont be GoW2, oh well... hm... isn't that bad, however... it means that GoW1 is the one and only GoW and GoW2 will be only console crap since it will never have been release on a good system (PC)...

i liked the epic stuff so much, but i think ill just have to give everything (hope,...) up and keep playing UT2004, one of the best games ever made!

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
+1

Not like where missing anything. GOW is so below par it doesn't even count in the PC gaming industry (and hence the low sales). Not to mention it's probably better for Cliffy F(AKE). He must have cried all night long about the fact that the PC community didn't buy the advertising and saw the game was fake & cheap as hell.

I like the idea BTW of changing this site into a general gaming site. There is no reason at all to remain loyal to Epic or Unreal at all anymore.

Don't get me wrong, Gears was not a bad game. Just not a great game. It was merely average, much like Kill.Switch (which it's a clone of). Hell, Kill.Switch had a more interesting story, at least there was intrigue as opposed to "RAR YOU GOT FALSELY ACCUSED AND THE ARMY IS COMPOSED OF *******S, BUT YOU HELP OUT ANYWAY FOR THE SAKE OF HUMANITY <INSERT MANLY FLEX HERE>"

Basically, they're saying it wasn't worth it to port gears to PC because of the sales. And in a sense they're right, Gears simply isn't good enough to do well on the PC. It's the same reason Halo was successful; Halo was merely an average FPS, but on consoles it had no competition whatsoever and sold like hotcakes. On PC it failed because we'd seen it all before, and seen it better in many cases. The exact same happened to Gears. I played it through on PC (refuse to buy a brickbox 360), but it was nothing spectacular. Certainly not anywhere near as good as, say, Bioshock.

I just get a kick out of them saying "BREAD AND BUTTER BREAD AND BUTTER BREAD AND BUTTER" and then turning around with "BIGGER, BADDER, MORE BAD-ASS AND ONLY ON CONSOLES LOL".

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
I have to agree, even in beta QL is shaping up to be a great game. I'm very happy with it, cant wait til the public release.

And I'm a UT player at heart.
If BU is really going to expand beyond Epic's games, Quake Live should be one of the first games they cover. Its the old school FPS free from HL and Halo influnce, and very much like UT99 (I like UT99 more than Q3, but I will like QL more than today's FPS).

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Halo did not fail on the PC, it did very well and actually people still buy it to this day. And imo Gears on the PC was far above the average and was probably one of the best PC shooters on the market. It even had higher res textures and the extra chapter ... but it was a little on the buggy side and the networking system they chose (Live) may have hampered sales. The game ran much better than Crysis (although I liked Crysis' gameplay a bit more), looked just about as good as any Shooter game around, and had tons of great action but for whatever reason people did not get into it. I think it was because CoD4, Crysis and UT3 all came out at around the same time as well ... plus people were playing The Orange Box and still playing Bioshock. Also it was not marketed at all when it came out on the PC ... I don't recall seeing any commercials for the PC version.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
I dont know, I wouldn't think marketing is that important. Most PC gamers should be familiar with any pre-release titles through gaming sites, game-review sites or forums. I would think TV commercials and such would be for people for don't use the Internet. If you are thinking about online ads or something, I suppose those wouldn't hurt.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
UT3's beta demo did far more damage to its success than a lack of commercials.

I don't remember seeing one commercial for the Orange Box, and yet TF2 has thousands of people playing it online ATM.

Last edited:

Apathy.

Jan 24, 2008
UT3's beta demo did far more damage to its success than a lack of commercials.

I don't remember seeing one commercial for the Orange Box, and yet TF2 has thousands of people playing it online ATM.

I saw quite a few advertisements for it on TV the night before it was released ;)

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
I have to agree, even in beta QL is shaping up to be a great game. I'm very happy with it, cant wait til the public release.

And I'm a UT player at heart.

Quake Live is going to be great. i think its awesome that id sat down and did this essentially thinking what is something we can do for PC thats a quick project and people will enjoy. its also a test which Carmack said in his keynote address as to weather id will make a sequel to Quake III Arena. i really like this way of thinking. instead of running to consoles they're testing the market for a sequel to that and getting Quake III Arena easily accessible and free on PC. win for id and for gamers.

why not put out a Gears 2 multiplayer test for PC and proceed based on the results? content is already there and it could be handled by a small team. if polished something like that would take off. UT2004 demo anyone? my gripe is that EPIC has no intention of giving PC a chance. they release crap on PC IMO (if you liked UT3 more power to ya) but i thought it was crap. and then declare PC as dead, for Sims type games and MMOs. BS!

EPIC's intentions are clear and beyondunreal is a really cool site. i enjoy hearing opinions from you all. so i see Gears 2 for 360 and Gears 3 for Microsoft's next gen console. i think until EPIC starts taking PC seriously again beyondunreal should be opened up to other IPs, advances in game technology and other things that interest gamers.

i would just hate for this community to dry up because i really think its going to be quite some time before EPIC makes another PC game here. i estimate a minimum of 3 years before anything for PC is even considered with the way EPIC is acting. this is something i would like to see with this site. i think most of us are getting tired of the BS from EPIC and I don't want to see that hurt the community here.

thoughts? good or bad idea?

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I dont know, I wouldn't think marketing is that important. Most PC gamers should be familiar with any pre-release titles through gaming sites, game-review sites or forums. I would think TV commercials and such would be for people for don't use the Internet. If you are thinking about online ads or something, I suppose those wouldn't hurt.

i thought a series like Unreal Tournament didn't need any marketing and ads until i was hanging around with a friend and it just happened that his brother had a couple of friends over (all like 4 years younger or something) and i wouldn't trust my ears but when we started talking about UT/Quake those guys were like 'uhm... what's Unreal Tournament? Quake---? never heard of that... is it something like Counter-Strike?'
add to this that around the same time other games were released that were hyped like hell and pretty much overshadowed everything else. just look at Crysis.

yes, i think midway did a very poor job marketing UT3 :( sure, there are other problems but with the right marketing i'm pretty sure UT3 would have been a much bigger success.

i estimate a minimum of 3 years before anything for PC is even considered with the way EPIC is acting.

thoughts? good or bad idea?

what about that PCF title? PCF are pretty much part of Epic now, aren't they? it's not gonna be a PC exclusive but it has been announced for PC, so...

opening up BU for other IP's and technology and stuff sounds like an interesting idea to me, though.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
opening up BU for other IP's and technology and stuff sounds like an interesting idea to me, though.

but then BU would be just like all the other gaming-sites and they already got enough flak for daring to show Unreal-engine games that were console-exclusives ...

// ---

Quake live would sink harder than a rock if they did not give it away for 'free' ...