CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I don't give a **** about this as long as I'll play it with my X360.

What really impressed me is the number of people who wanted another GOW game on the PC. Wow.

But what about players that don't own consoles? Here consoles are rather rare nowadays amongst players, most use PC and some people find console waste of money as its primarily used for gaming and nothing else.
And they are far more expensive here compared to other things.
So I should care for this and this is not good idea at all.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Does anyone find it ironic that EPIC is obviously showing PC renders of characters in many of their screenshots to make the game look better. Just look at the screens on IGN. haha sellouts. I think some of these might be directly out of zbrush or mudbox. just saying if the 360 was so great why are we getting these dressed up screenshots?

Some random innocents may think this is actually being made on a modded Xbox 360. Yes, sellouts. I do also feel that the Xbox 360 version will have frame rates slow down.

I just played Gears of War on the Xbox 360 a couple days ago, and boy, it felt like 40 FPS with Vsync on blasted to max. It felt good to go back to my PC version of the game, which is a steady 60 FPS with no annoying non-stop CD reading. I have absolutely no problem with the PC version of GoW at all.

Honnestly, other than some optimization here and there, I don't see why the Xbox 360 version (and the only) of GoW2 should run any better than GoW1 released on the same platform.

EPIC needs to be removed from the PC Gaming Alliance.

100 bucks says the next UT will be screwed up by the same team (cramped 6 million poly looking corridors, over an intelligent and clean design), released with console exclusivity, and probably spiced up with Mike Caaaaaaaps's marvelous ideas again.

I don't see why Epic should be friendly with my Computer. I can go look elsewhere now.

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Does anyone find it ironic that EPIC is obviously showing PC renders of characters in many of their screenshots to make the game look better. Just look at the screens on IGN. haha sellouts. I think some of these might be directly out of zbrush or mudbox. just saying if the 360 was so great why are we getting these dressed up screenshots?

while you are most likely right about your example shot being directly out of a render program or the like i don't think this was intended to show off the game or the ingame visuals. i guess it's merely a character shot to show people one of the new locust.

apart from that, this whole procedure of showing people screenshots that are more impressive visual-wise than the actual game has been going on for quite a while and is one of the reasons why i'm trying not to get too excited about game announcements anymore.

Kantham said:
Mike Caaaaaaaps's

you did this before and i'm still wondering what all those a's are supposed to mean :confused:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
CliffyB looks remarkably like a guy named Brannon Bragga, who some guy the other day was raving about as having driven the Star Trek franchise into the ground. Same sort of face, except CliffyB has more prominent teeth.

Shadowhaxor

FraGGing your A$$ east to west.
Wow, I haven't posted here in a while... Oh yeah, that cause I stopped playing UT :(

Anyway, I think this goes back to Epic's ever growing belief that the consoles are the way to go and through the result years it's been as if they were turning their back towards the PC, even though this was the platform that made them who they are today.

First it was the UE3, then the talk about UE4 being console only, only having to back pedal if after they were called out about this and not we get this GoW 2 crap. Honestly, we can only speculate on to why this was said. Maybe it won't be them to port it, or perhaps it's just never coming. Either way, i've been on the fence regarding Epic and this, depending on how it plays out, will likely cement my decision.

Bad form Epic, bad form.

rattyocaster

Up close and personal Sniper
Jul 26, 2002
United Kingdom
www.jordanappleton.co.uk
apart from that, this whole procedure of showing people screenshots that are more impressive visual-wise than the actual game has been going on for quite a while and is one of the reasons why i'm trying not to get too excited about game announcements anymore

I think one of the few developers out there which uses primarily in game shot for pre-release content is actually Criterion Games (Part of EA UK) and their most recent title, "Burnout Paradise" is being put onto PC. Unlike other devs who port from console to PC they appear to be doing some awesome stuff which is unique to PC such as multi-monitor support (At the Leipzig Game Convention they had it set up using 3 screens together!). I honestly think that Epic have lost their spark and letting their accountants run the company rather than the artists. As a result people generally are becoming less satisfied with their work. I for one loved UT and UT2004 but I think UT3 is no more than just a game, it's nothing special.
I think it's sad when the fans money means more than the fans affection, I understand entirely why it's happened to Epic, it's had to, it's just a damn shame that it has happened.

Lol, it's because GoW is great if all you have is an Xbox, but PC gamers expect a higher standard, and Epic doesn't want to have to work that hard, so Epic is going console. Am I joking, or is it true?

Yeah, but does that work? They thought the bug had to do with MaxCharacters being reached, and when someone pointed out that it happens when you simply change teams, he didn't seem to be aware of that. Did they not even try changing teams during testing?

Absolute truth. It's far easier to...

pander to the masses of teens / preteens with disposable income by offering technical buzzwords and abysmal plots, dumb predictable stories, limited game content barely stitched onto a game engine filled with "nextnextmext gen grafix! w0oT!"

...then it is to try and make games for a market where along with the kiddies you have older, more cynical gamers who's income is not as disposable so they hold the games they purchase to a higher standard. So, when a game craps in their faces the backlash is a bit harsher and ego's are bruised more.

Mostly though, it's the easy money from young people.

8 days til the release of STALKER: Clear Sky. I'm hardly worried about GoW, UT or anything Epic has their fat little fingers in right now. :lol:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I think one of the few developers out there which uses primarily in game shot for pre-release content is actually Criterion Games (Part of EA UK) and their most recent title, "Burnout Paradise" is being put onto PC. Unlike other devs who port from console to PC they appear to be doing some awesome stuff which is unique to PC such as multi-monitor support (At the Leipzig Game Convention they had it set up using 3 screens together!).

wow, hadn't heard about Burnout coming to the PC before. that's pretty cool - even though i wish they'd have ported Burnout: Takedown because that's my favorite Burnout title by far :)

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
Good riddance. All I care about is the Unreal series being released for PC first. Everything else can blow.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
BREAD AND BUTTER

rofl.
+1

Not like where missing anything. GOW is so below par it doesn't even count in the PC gaming industry (and hence the low sales). Not to mention it's probably better for Cliffy F(AKE). He must have cried all night long about the fact that the PC community didn't buy the advertising and saw the game was fake & cheap as hell.

I like the idea BTW of changing this site into a general gaming site. There is no reason at all to remain loyal to Epic or Unreal at all anymore.

Growler

Jul 26, 2004
Are you sure they're not lying to us again?

Remember, for ages they kept saying there wasn't going to be a Gears 2 at all, but they had completely lied to us the whole time!

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
It would've been a crap port job anyway. No big loss for the PC.

Even if Epic were to ship their next PC title to me for FREE I wouldn't want to play it.

SPIDEYUT2K7

I see a blue screen
Feb 22, 2008
City of the Polution
Look , instead of a new GOW in pc, EPIC please improve the experience of UT3 in pc! :mad: (anyway in a couple of months will see a GOW 2 with new weapons, levels, etc, in PC ):(

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
100 bucks says the next UT will be screwed up by the same team (cramped 6 million poly looking corridors, over an intelligent and clean design), released with console exclusivity, and probably spiced up with Mike Caaaaaaaps's marvelous ideas again.
That wouldn't matter anymore, since everyone will be playing Quake Live when the next UT will be out :lol: