The community killed UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrotesqueArtist

Apr 6, 2008
Yeah it was Doom 3's Level Editor I used (Radiant) and to be perfectly honest with you. Hammer isn't all that great of a map editor. It crashes 24/7 and it isn't supported by the valve support team.. I lost intrest in it quickly. UT3's editor is best by far. :D

GrotesqueArtist

Apr 6, 2008
I'd like to see some of your concept work :D
I've recently been focusing on starting a new modification. Our entire Design Document has been written. And were ready to go <\o/\o/> lol

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
Save your money, Don't buy UT3.

Rule 1 : Don't upgrade your PC just solely for UT3

Rule 2 : Laugh at UT3

Rule 3 : Quote and bash this post for its truth

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
See what happens when you wait for a 6 map download at Flag Junkies CTF server, then once it's finally finished you get a screen that pops up saying " Weapon Pack missing A_Biorifle " preventing you from joining the game, followed by 17 minutes of troubleshooting and google reading for a fix that I tried to cure 3 months ago. Then due to no cure, deleting the maps out of the Cache all together and realizing all the time wasted and bull**** that just occurred in a UT game where this shouldn't be a problem :2thumb:

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
See what happens when you wait for a 6 map download at Flag Junkies CTF server, then once it's finally finished you get a screen that pops up saying " Weapon Pack missing A_Biorifle " preventing you from joining the game, followed by 17 minutes of troubleshooting and google reading for a fix that I tried to cure 3 months ago. Then due to no cure, deleting the maps out of the Cache all together and realizing all the time wasted and bull**** that just occurred in a UT game where this shouldn't be a problem :2thumb:

That was always a problem in previous UT's as well.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
there will be additions to the game as they have made advancements to the engine. While these advancements have been primarily shown for GOW2 they have stated that these changes will make it into UT3 ... I don’t think that epic will really drop the UT title they have said that Unreal and the Unreal Tournament series is in their blood (quote from bonus dvd)

To be honest there are small issues that should be addressed but i don’t think Epic have ruined it ... really all they have done is tried something different the single player campaign is a testament to that.

Its not so much different from previous versions in my opinion and really if anything Epic just make that game its up to us the community to make it great, instead we complain and cry like children who have just had their fav toy taken off them and lets face it and fan of any game will have something to say about the fav title if it doesn’t meet their own standards.

Could it be possible that we ourselves as gamers expected a little too much this time?
This kind of thing doesn’t just happen with games but it can happen with anything i.e. when guns n roses released the spaghetti incident .. i wasn’t happy with it but i still bought it even though it was nothing like user your illusion and after a period of time it grew on me so maybe with alot of us UT3 will as well.

Disregard everything if have just said cause im biased as i love the damn game

What Epic says and what Epic does are two completly separate things. If UT is in their blood why do they always try and reinvent the game rather than improve upon it, why do they break and split the community to the degree they have shown to do on several Unreal titles when they really should make the community stay coherent and focused?

Uh single player the one where you simply play dm/tdm/ctf with some bots a tacky attempt at a storyline and some card game. The entire experience feels sloppy from begining to end. Epic tries experiments with something new each Unreal release and thats the PROBLEM and always have been it only splits the community.

Epic should set the bar high enough that the game can stand on its own, relying on the community to make the game acceptable is the worst kind of naive thinking not to mention self destructive in the long run and thats why UT3 is so poorly recived by those that matters those who actually play the game or rather those that dont play the game.

Epic themself set the bar pretty dam high and then kept watering it down, conquest being a good example, instead of improving what they have they try and reinvent it instead.

For UT3 to survive Epic has to pull of something on the scale of Onslaught for UT3 to revive intrest in the game for the average joe gamer.

Uh single player the one where you simply play dm/tdm/ctf with some bots a tacky attempt at a storyline and some card game. The entire experience feels sloppy from begining to end. Epic tries experiments with something new each Unreal release and thats the PROBLEM and always have been it only splits the community.

They made war a part of that single player campaign

Epic themself set the bar pretty dam high and then kept watering it down, conquest being a good example, instead of improving what they have they try and reinvent it instead.

Conquest didnt make it into the game

For UT3 to survive Epic has to pull of something on the scale of Onslaught for UT3 to revive intrest in the game for the average joe gamer.

Its called war

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What Epic says and what Epic does are two completly separate things. If UT is in their blood why do they always try and reinvent the game rather than improve upon it, why do they break and split the community to the degree they have shown to do on several Unreal titles when they really should make the community stay coherent and focused?
If you've been a gamer for very long, then you know that this happens with every game sequel and the developer/publisher have absolutely no control over it.

In order for this to not happen, each sequel would have to play and feel exactly the same as the previous game.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Its called war

No, war is just onslaught with tweaks, it hardly compares in scale to what onslaught was to 2k. There was no WAR map in the demo, and I believed them when they said WAR was a new gametype, and it was like assault+onslaught, etc. etc.

I was expecting something NEW on a big scale, like Bishop describes, and it turned out just to be an onslaught mod.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I think Jes was high when posting that...

If your able to run BF2 on high but can't run UT3 worth crap I say your system has other issues that are not the games fault....

Either of you hock up a GOOD argument suggesting that I'm wrong, and I'll hock up a screenshot invalidating that argument.

I don't want to bother installing UT3 on my tower again (since it's never powered up anymore), but if you two want to play internet tough guys, I'll raise you both an E-Spine. :eek:

I recall some DOS game of yore saying "upgrade your pc" when you scrolled the view size down to minimum.. DooM? Rise of the Triad??

Playing UT3 can feel the same way when on an fx5900. :eek:

Gothik

Day Tripper
Jun 8, 2000
UK
Visit site
I recall some DOS game of yore saying "upgrade your pc" when you scrolled the view size down to minimum.. DooM? Rise of the Triad??
It was Rise of the Triad. Reduce the screen to minimum size to get the message "Get a 486 :)" IIRC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.