The community killed UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Having two different ONS/WAR gametypes might be a good approach, as ONS was a substantial part of 2k4's community, as far as I understand, but I'm not sure how they'd go about differentiating them enough. To anyone other than the hardcore ONS fans, it'd seem like having Capture the Flag and Capture the Tree.
If they could take the AS aspect of WAR, and maybe introduce some XMP-esque aspects (energy management, locked doors...) to a more prominent level they could better differentiate the two. Including the UC style species differences (that were a latent, but still present part of 2k4) they could simulate XMP's class-based gameplay as well. Some classes might be better at building nodes, others could carry multiple deployables. I certainly wouldn't mind the introduction of some of these elements from the UC series... especially the more refined adrenaline system.

To me (and a lot of the EU ONS community) ONS was about battles up to 8on8. But mainly less players (6on6 or even 3on3 sometimes).
The good maps for that had sizes of Torlan and Dawn (RedPlanet was much too big for example).
And it was purely about connecting nodes*, such as CTF is purely about flags (XMP for example is a different gametype because it adds the "power"-element).
If that was kept for ONS in UT3 then WAR could have been the gametype with the huuuge maps that connect to each other, AS-like-objectives, Orbs, ressource and power management as it was said when it still was named Conquest.

*) see here for how I had like the maps and nodes in UT 3: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2112804&postcount=13

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
To me (and a lot of the EU ONS community) ONS was about battles up to 8on8. But mainly less players (6on6 or even 3on3 sometimes).
The good maps for that had sizes of Torlan and Dawn (RedPlanet was much too big for example).
And it was purely about connecting nodes*, such as CTF is purely about flags (XMP for example is a different gametype because it adds the "power"-element).
If that was kept for ONS in UT3 then WAR could have been the gametype with the huuuge maps that connect to each other, AS-like-objectives, Orbs, ressource and power management as it was said when it still was named Conquest.

*) see here for how I had like the maps and nodes in UT 3: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2112804&postcount=13

Personally I'm not a fan of the Conquest idea, but that's another matter.
Your input is interesting, as I've always thought of WAR as the smaller, more compact of the two, whereas maps like IslandHop and Severance hallmarked ONS for me, but shows what I know as far as what was wanted.
I think I'd rather go the AS/XMP route with WAR than the Conquest route, mainly because the sheer scale of Conquest doesn't really feel like UT to me, but if WAR could maintain some of the ONS-esque gameplay tactics, while stepping away from the nodes themselves, using resources points and defensive platforms, vehicle factories, bridges (and controlling these things directly, as opposed to doing so via nodes, using control panels and locked doors and touch plates and other AS-esque methods,) instead, then we have an opportunity to really differentiate the two, wherein ONS could become the sporting approach, focused solely on the more abstract idea of nodes and cores...

The idea, then, would be not to necessarily make WAR maps so big (the size of multiple Torlans placed end to end and requiring streaming to move across, as was proposed at one point) but to make them, maybe Severance sized at the most, but be connected by basically snippets of AS maps instead. You have to hijack a defensive platform to secure a laser wall to defend your base, which requires hacking a door panel, overcoming the player(s) guarding it, if any, then hacking the defensive system itself. Challengers can either blow the door with the shaped charge (or something similar) or hack it and maintain it in one piece. So, there can be these stations around, which don't necessarily have to take up much more space than a powernode and its surrounding defenses, but offer a slightly different gameplay style to capture, and offer up the need for a mild resource-management system to maintain, retaining the ONS feeling of spreading out and taking parts of the map, wherein the enemy might control the defesive points, but if they have no energy to run them, it won't matter... I think that might live-up to what many may have been expecting from WAR, and keep it separate from ONS, thus allowing the two to co-exist in a way that casual gamers could differentiate them relatively easily.
Then ONS could be re-done focusing on its specific nature...

Last edited:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
UT3's minimum specs are as low as BF2's minimum specs...
Bullsh#t and friggin' Chips!

If my tower could run BF2 on HIGH, shouldn't it run UT3 likewise?

Oh, right, it had to run the lowest rez, with the lowest screen size in adv., and STILL have choppy perf. in the empty demo map. :rolleyes:

My old tower could at least do BF2142 on high/1280x960 with 32 bots at the same/sometimes better fps.

Oh yeah, want pictures with that too? :eek:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
A single 7900gt, and a 64bit athlon will run BF2142 great.
A single 8800gt, and a 64bit athlon 2x will run UT3 Okayish.

Why do you think he was high again? Even if the minimum specs are a dead match, the scale can still be steeper on one. Like you need more horsepower per detail in UT3, so by the time you max the details out, you need twice the system for UT3, than you do for BF2142. Some of his descriptions may be slightly exaggerated, but not that far fetched IMO.

@fuegerstef: I didn't play ONS competitively, so I'm speaking mostly on behalf of pubs. I agree that some elements of ONS were better for competition than WAR, but you gotta fill pubs before you get a competitive community, or to get your new game in the franchise to cause growth in said competitive community. I think WAR is a far better pub gametype.

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
adkx3l.jpg

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I could run BF2 on my old rig mid/high settings but it could not run UT3. Partially had to do with my 9600 XT.

All I'm saying there, is that BF2's min. requirements are lower, if only that you don't need a nearly as powerful graphics card.

Have i mentioned i have a comp at home thats only a sempron 3000+ with 1.5 gb ram and a 6600 gfx card running ut3 fine? in fact i had a freind come over last night and we played war via 1gb lan and she had no problems on that machine what so ever... yes she a girl and she likes the ut series aswell ... she thought ut3 was great compaired to ut2k4 ... of course i had the battlerpg and quad jump mutator running on the server sot hat was fun ... and she had a habbit of running me over with anything she could find ... anyways what was i saying ...ummmmm i forget

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have a crap soicket 939 4200+ dual core proc and 2gb of ram with an 8800GTS 320mb aqnd I can run UT3 at almost max settings at 1280x1024, so I don't know what you people are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.