1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The community killed UT3

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by dub, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Doom 3's version is pretty sharp, I'll agree. Hammer is certainly workeable too. But some other versions of Radiant are in the stone ages.

2. GrotesqueArtist

GrotesqueArtist New Member

Yeah it was Doom 3's Level Editor I used (Radiant) and to be perfectly honest with you. Hammer isn't all that great of a map editor. It crashes 24/7 and it isn't supported by the valve support team.. I lost intrest in it quickly. UT3's editor is best by far. :D

3. Vitamin-Carrot

Vitamin-Carrot If

I have had great succeswith the hammer editor it never crashed or gave me any issues when compiling my custom surf maps ... I have used unrealed before but have always loved hte games so i figured i want to give it a try ... thats reminds my i should poost my concept work at some point...

4. GrotesqueArtist

I'd like to see some of your concept work :D
    I've recently been focusing on starting a new modification. Our entire Design Document has been written. And were ready to go <\o/\o/> lol

5. Jordan L

Jordan L New Member

Save your money, Don't buy UT3.

Rule 1 : Don't upgrade your PC just solely for UT3

Rule 2 : Laugh at UT3

Rule 3 : Quote and bash this post for its truth

6. evilmrfrank

evilmrfrank Banned

:D

7. Defeat

Defeat GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

8. Jordan L

Jordan L New Member

See what happens when you wait for a 6 map download at Flag Junkies CTF server, then once it's finally finished you get a screen that pops up saying " Weapon Pack missing A_Biorifle " preventing you from joining the game, followed by 17 minutes of troubleshooting and google reading for a fix that I tried to cure 3 months ago. Then due to no cure, deleting the maps out of the Cache all together and realizing all the time wasted and bull**** that just occurred in a UT game where this shouldn't be a problem :2thumb:

9. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

When I see the download screen come up, I write down the name of the map and download / install it manually, then rejoin the server later.

10. GrotesqueArtist

Ambershee know's how to do it :D

Ambershee: Why is my UnrealEd screen white?

just joking. <3 the signature :D

11. evilmrfrank

evilmrfrank Banned

That was always a problem in previous UT's as well.

12. Bishop F Gantry

Bishop F Gantry New Member

What Epic says and what Epic does are two completly separate things. If UT is in their blood why do they always try and reinvent the game rather than improve upon it, why do they break and split the community to the degree they have shown to do on several Unreal titles when they really should make the community stay coherent and focused?

Uh single player the one where you simply play dm/tdm/ctf with some bots a tacky attempt at a storyline and some card game. The entire experience feels sloppy from begining to end. Epic tries experiments with something new each Unreal release and thats the PROBLEM and always have been it only splits the community.

Epic should set the bar high enough that the game can stand on its own, relying on the community to make the game acceptable is the worst kind of naive thinking not to mention self destructive in the long run and thats why UT3 is so poorly recived by those that matters those who actually play the game or rather those that dont play the game.

Epic themself set the bar pretty dam high and then kept watering it down, conquest being a good example, instead of improving what they have they try and reinvent it instead.

For UT3 to survive Epic has to pull of something on the scale of Onslaught for UT3 to revive intrest in the game for the average joe gamer.

13. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

Jordan L just likes things as easy as possible. Especially his guns :p

14. Vitamin-Carrot

Vitamin-Carrot If

They made war a part of that single player campaign

Conquest didnt make it into the game

Its called war

15. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

If you've been a gamer for very long, then you know that this happens with every game sequel and the developer/publisher have absolutely no control over it.

In order for this to not happen, each sequel would have to play and feel exactly the same as the previous game.

16. Vitamin-Carrot

Vitamin-Carrot If

Yeah,

We gamers are like babies that have had their fav rattle taken from them when a new version of our fav title is released.

17. UndeadRoadkill

UndeadRoadkill New Member

No, war is just onslaught with tweaks, it hardly compares in scale to what onslaught was to 2k. There was no WAR map in the demo, and I believed them when they said WAR was a new gametype, and it was like assault+onslaught, etc. etc.

I was expecting something NEW on a big scale, like Bishop describes, and it turned out just to be an onslaught mod.

18. Jordan L

Jordan L New Member

They will have to quit milking the dead cow eventually :rolleyes:

19. -Jes-

-Jes- Tastefully Barking

Either of you hock up a GOOD argument suggesting that I'm wrong, and I'll hock up a screenshot invalidating that argument.

I don't want to bother installing UT3 on my tower again (since it's never powered up anymore), but if you two want to play internet tough guys, I'll raise you both an E-Spine. :eek:

I recall some DOS game of yore saying "upgrade your pc" when you scrolled the view size down to minimum.. DooM? Rise of the Triad??

Playing UT3 can feel the same way when on an fx5900. :eek:

20. Gothik

Gothik Day Tripper

It was Rise of the Triad. Reduce the screen to minimum size to get the message "Get a 486 :)" IIRC.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.