UT 3.5 (no trolls allowed)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I would really like Epic to produce Unreal 3.

Unreal Engine 3 might not be at 100% right now but that is rather hardware related, people don't have strong enough computers.

Let's not call it UT3.5 because that won't fly at all. Unreal Tournament III.5 looks too silly. This could turn into a naming contest. Suggestions anyone?

Unreal Tournament IV
That won't be correct because we would assume that the next generation will have the next generation of graphics tied to it's engine and also not to include any previous contents.

Unreal Tournament III: Dream Edition
(UTIII DE or UT3DE as short.)
More likely alternative.

Unreal Tournament III: Envy Expansion
Again, even better, but not as good as UT2k4 was for UT2k3.

This is stupid. Very much lack of planning or maybe.

Unreal Tournament 2009
(UT2k9 as short.)
This could be good too.

Why wouldn't they make a little effort in selling the same game over and over again every year? They would profit from it, because all die hard fans would buy it and most other players would do that as well. It's not a rip off if they add an equal amount of contents every time around.

Unreal Arena
New all together, even with a year in every title. Much shorter and more emphasis on the lone player engaging in combat.

I was thinking about starting a thread about what the next release would include but you beat me to it.

Unreal Tournament IV
Could still be Unreal Engine 3 and have everything that's good with Unreal Tournament III. Not that much of a problem but still a little cheap.

What Quake II did to the Quake series was replacing everything with a new game. Huge improvement, but that seems to be too much for the team developing Unreal. Quake III Arena was also understandable and iD are truly making an effort modifying every aspect of the game instead of repeating everything all over like the Unreal series is. I would not like it that much however. Just look at the disaster Unreal II was. Well, it's playable but movement and weapons are out of line for it's universe or maybe not, just too unexpected.

Unreal Tournament III: Editor's Choice Edition
(UT3: ECE as short.)
Now we're talking. I would settle for that. If it comes with 2-3 DVDs packed with tons of contents. Full UI and all the gametypes from previous games.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Unreal Tournament III have impossible shoes to fill. Way too much expectations.

A game like Quake comes with one or two multiplayer modes and 15-25 individual maps. Unreal Tournament III came with three game types and over 40 maps so enough whining about that.

Weapons, movement and characters are as cool as can be so I don't really understand what the fuzz is all about.

Menus are simple but functional and the game plays well. People are insane.

New maps are coming all the time now days and look great, at least some of them, the only ones I count I might add.

Simply put, I love the game. It's unparalleled. All you have to do is compare it and nothing stands up to it. Not Half-Life 2, not Quake, not Doom. Without it I would have nothing to play. Oh yes, FarCry and Crysis. They don't get old do they? I didn't even know if they have multiplayer since almost no other game have bot support. Counterstrike and Battlefield then. I don't play team games, I stick to deathmatch because I just want to shoot everybody.

Coffin_Dancer

Jan 20, 2008
troll.jpg

LOL well, who's yo daddy NOW?? :)

thanks,
CD

Attachments

• yo-daddy.jpg
    yo-daddy.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 35

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
I'm with Fuzz on this, the game is great right now. PAtches are rolling in, even if slowly. I think Epic should just release a bigass bonus pack! Maps, Characters and a brand new gametype and also DX10 features (a map or some HQ characters or something). FREE. DON'T call it UT3.5, just release it as a bonus pack and this game will be even greater!! I'm having a blast playing it online really.

I'm honestly hoping for a BIG BIG bonus pack from Epic, don't care when, just DO IT!!....Cmon.....Do it......DO IT!

Diving Mullah

Jan 11, 2000
Los Gatos, CA, USA
Visit site
I'd like to see a return of the Tournament, with the ladders just like UT2004.

It'd also be very cool to have a multiplayer version of that, where you have to pay to play matches, manage team funds, place bets and what not :)

That is not a bad idea... you go online everybody is ranked...a lower ranked guy can challenge a higher ranked person up to (+10 for example) and if the higher ranked person refuses then he will lose his ranking, by one or two...

You can also have team rankings. I think this would be interesting.

As for other suggestions about UT3. I wish it had better features for IRC and other console stuff like the old UT, but the game play.. I don't mind it.

Diving Mullah

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
I have to honestly say there's just no saving this game for me. Compared to older versions of UT it just doesn't grab me or hook me like the older ones did. Hell I think I even played 2k3 and U2 longer than UT3...

I doubt I'll be as ready to immediately buy the next big Epic release whatever it is after UT3 and GoW pc version. :(

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I haven't looked into it enough, but it's the only other one that's interesting in any way. Deck is alright, but it's Deck -- it's always been just alright. Defiance's got lots of connectivity for the most part, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's got a good flow to it. Certain rooms are laid out great, while others are long and flat and completely devoid of anything useful therein. Maybe I'll take some screenshots and point out things I find wrong and reeking of amateurish level design. :eek:

My issue with the maps is nothing stands out. I'd give almost all of them a "meh" or "ugh" and of the few others left none of them would get any sort of enthusiastic response. There's not a single great map in UT3 -- Coret is probably close but I've never enjoyed the layout. If I cared at all about ONS I might think some of those maps were pretty good, but ONS has a huge problem beyond any of the maps. The orb turns every ONS game into a multi-goal Bombing Run match with vehakals. Take out the orb but leave in the hoverboard and ONS might be worth playing. They could also have it so the orb only spawned every few minutes so that it would be used in dire/key situations. But removing it altogether is probably better since it totally f**ks up the gametype. D:

Of course, this is all just opinion. YMMV. :p

Wow man ... you are really off base IMO ... waaaaayyyy off base about the way the maps flow and calling them amateurish??? You must be joking and looking to get a rise out of folks ... well you kind of succeeded. You do nothing but talk sh!t about the game and seem to forget that you do not get to decide for everyone else that the game is a poor game or has bad level design. Yeah the game has its issues but attacking the levels like you do ... what is that all about. I hate to get personal but for someone who talks so much you don't put your money where you mouth is. I have been playing UT games for over 5 years now and I can't think of any memorable or really outstanding levels that you have produced. And yet you put down every map in this game? Wow ... you have nerve I will say that.

Defiance has absolutely fantastic flow ... period ... no dead ends and No wasted space ... everything is there for a purpose ... sometimes it is just to make the level more realistic and keep the immersion factor high. I can't even begin to see how you can say the map has poor flow. Rising Sun is another great small level ... again it flows in an excellent manner ... and then there are the CTF, VCTF, and War maps. For you to attempt to give people who may not know better the impression that none of these maps seem professionally done is ridiculous imo .. there are some truly outstanding works of art and they definitely succeed in being fun and many have excellent design ... in fact most of them do.

When you take the time to make a level that is near perfect and of course better than any of the retail maps maybe what you say will have some real bearing ... but to talk so much and yet not do anything makes little sense. I would really be interested in what you think constitutes a great map ... and not just from a written description but a map you make. Or tell me have you given any of the user created content a real chance? There are some excellent levels that really make UT3 a blast to play ... seems to me that you have decided you just hate the game and are not even willing to give any aspect of the game a fair chance. But forget that ... that is your choice, but to talk so much crap about the retail levels and to imply they are all poorly created is just bs ... it simply is not the case. I really hope people are not buying what it is you are trying to sell. And yes I know you said that YMMV ... I got that much ...

Edit: And btw I am not looking to start a fight with you at all and I am not trying to be insulting about your levels but I just have strong disagreements with what you are saying and I sometimes get extremely passionate but it is not personal at all and I do not want it to become personal. This is all about UT3.

Last edited:

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
I have to agree with T2A on this one... I'm a DM player myself (mostly duel) so I can't really comment on WAR/CTF... but I'm thoroughly disappointed with most of the DM levels in UT3... most all of them, while being beautiful works of art, are really lacking in gameplay imo. I'd like some DM maps with better gameplay.

Anuban, you don't have to be able to use the technology to understand what makes a level good/bad. Mappers will often let experienced players (who may have no idea how to actually construct the level) test it. They understand good gameplay. While it's true that the quality of the map lies in the eye of the beholder, there are many standards that a map deemed "good" by a majority of players must ahere to... for example, presence of z-axis, good flow, risk vs reward, item placement, etc.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Anuban, you don't have to be able to use the technology to understand what makes a level good/bad. Mappers will often let experienced players (who may have no idea how to actually construct the level) test it. They understand good gameplay. While it's true that the quality of the map lies in the eye of the beholder, there are many standards that a map deemed "good" by a majority of players must ahere to... for example, presence of z-axis, good flow, risk vs reward, item placement, etc.

I've been playing and testing maps long enough ... not to mention the time I spent leading a mod so I definitely understand what makes a level good ... These levels that are being pegged as meh in the gameplay area are much better than many of the levels that in UT2K4 were "great" to the majority of the community ... they have all that you mentioned ... maybe if you are talking pure pro gaming level (and even then I would have have some argument but since I never play competitively I would concede to a pro) but this game is aimed at the general masses mainly ... heck it is for fun and to imply that the gameplay of the levels is so gimped that people can't have fun is extremely subjective and each person has to make their own call when it comes to down to it. But even with that said I can't just sit by and let folks really believe that these levels are lacking in the gameplay dept and are constructed as if the mappers are not professionals. I am not saying there are several poorly designed maps in each gametype ... there are but the majority are very well done in both looks and functionality, qualified of course by imo ... and overall opinons of critics and gamers who have and play the game.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
t2a is an elitist so he can say all that... :rolleyes:

Complaining how the game needs more maps while he doesn't even know all the maps that are in the game. idiot.

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
In the next UT I'd like:
- no single player campain, no cinematic
- plot: New tournament. Moar Violence. /END
- bot support: for all people that doesn't have a good connection, or want to play a particular map
- Some new models that don't look like a can
- no gamespy ( I think that's clear)
- UI
- and more maps, and no remake of old ones.

Hey, but...all that could be achieved in a a couple of patches/bonus packs !!!!!

Well, good, that means that for me the game is not so bad.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
So would this be a full backward compatible PC exclusive expansion? Or are you wanting UT2004? Id prefer an expansion to be honest over a second game which contains everything from the first.

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
Nothing to see here, move along...

The point is that... what are you guys whining about? Aren't you guys wanted to get this game on shop shelves faster? I bet that developers would have worked on it for another year or so and finally produce great game... but community really accelerated that process, Epic had to fix stuff way too fast, so here you go. So, basically , go and blame yourselves now that we've got really laggy and unfinished game. Period.

My personal opinion^^

Last edited:

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
The point is that... what are you guys whining about? Aren't you guys wanted to get this game on shop shelves faster? I bet that developers would have worked on it for another year or so and finally produce great game... but community really accelerated that process, Epic had to fix stuff way too fast, so here you go. So, basically , go and blame yourselves now that we've got really laggy and unfinished game. Period.

My personal opinion^^

Next year the graphic would not be so great, so UT3 won't have even one of the few things that make it top of the line ;)
I don't think it's a matter of time or finished/unfinished.
I'm no coder and I don't know how can take to implement a good online support and so on, but my feeling is that is all about bad choices.
Instead of wasting time in cinematics, weapons with 1 million poligons, they could as well have given a couple of tweaks at the game itself.
I don't think any of the complain in this forum would take ages to be implemented, besides maybe mine requesting a better AI.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
(...) These levels that are being pegged as meh in the gameplay area are much better than many of the levels that in UT2K4 were "great" to the majority of the community (...)
I agree with T2A's points about the maps he mentioned, but I wouldn't say at all those levels are lacking gameplay or they're unprofessional. It's just a matter of being on the positive or negative side... :D I too have been testing maps for long time and it's easy to spot their flaws, but finding an alternative solution in which everything fits perfectly, normally isn't... 2k4 has less/as many worthy maps as UT3 if you ask me, so considering UT3 has less maps, the Epic guys have done a good improvement... The gimmicky maps maybe are not good for serious gaming, but they work and they're the bit of innovation the game has... I don't like some like Gateway (although it plays clearly better than TokaraForest... :p), but others like Vertebrae are a blast to play.

For UT3.5 I want ramp-dodging back, and an ingame map/mutator installer + cache extractor! \o/

Last edited:

Spank$hot_BT

Feb 11, 2008
Don't call it 3.5 call it 2009 a different UT using same engine so those few that enjoy UT3 still can and the rest of us can have what was always meant to be. A new game. More dollar for Epic and the game the fans really wanted. Everybodies happy.

Like cod 4 was to cod 2, like TF2 was to TF, Like Crysis was to Farcry. I want them to build on what they had. Rather than strip it all out for some casual gamers to play, in exactly the same fashion they would of done if it had all still been there!

The casualisation/consolization of this game hasn't worked, the online player counts reflect this. Noobs get fragged senseless by pro players in all games. Also there are better casual games out there. UT IS HARDCORE and should be sold and marketed on these past strengths. Instead of nerfing it, aiming it at casual gamers THEN marketing it as hardcore. WTF?

which brings me to my actual wishlist

- I want the natural progression from 2k4 rather than its retarded younger brother. I want more advancement movement and gameplay features instead of much less.

- Hitscan not flakspam! There was enough rox nubs in 2k4, now its even worse.

- Less tight, winding, gameplayless DM maps which promote spam. oc this would need to be in conjunction with fundamental gameplay changes to work.

- Options to nerf gameplay should be available as a mutator NOT be the standard.

- TAM/Freon game types as standard.

and if i could absolutely have whatever i want - cleaner, crisper game gfx that are more conducive to online FPS gaming. UT is gameplay NOT super high tech gfx!!! but i suppose UT is always going to be the tech demo for unreal engine.:(

- if they really want to cater for casual/noob player then separate noob servers with nerfed game settings.

- and all the other stuff thats been mentioned a million times but isn't really the key issue imo - like menus/browser.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hahaha, I didn't see any "rox nubs" in 2k4 ever. It was mostly "shock whores" and "ltg weenies". (I was one of them, so I should know :p)