UT 3.5 (no trolls allowed)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
What do you want to see in UT 3.5?

To my fellow friends at Epic Games, I have made a list on what would possibly be a worthy addition, fix or possibly revamp for ut3.5, or even an expansion pack for ut3. This list is completely optional, and is full of suggestions I have accumulated since UT3 came out. :)

1) More advanced options in the UT3 Menu (some will probably make it to the UT3 patches, but UT 3.5 should expand the menu even further, and possibly bring back the complete advanced options list).
2) Add more gametypes (aka add UT3DOM into UT3.5, as well as Invasion, Last Man Standing, and others, like Monster Hunt as an example :p)
3) An option to do the old skool tournament style single player and the default UT3 story-line game option.
4) More customizability (create announcers, voice packs, new races, more UnrealKismet options, more textures, more music, etc).
5) Re-add Malcolm and Thundercrash into the game through an expansion or UT3.5. :)
6) Add rewinding demo recording support for UT3.5
7) More characters and levels. \o/
8) Integrate 4-team support into UT3.5. :) (Questionable)
9) Revamp UnrealKimset so it can be used to use UnrealScript fully (aka you can code an entire gametpye 100% from UnrealKimset) (Questionable)
10) Add an option to "decompile" cooked maps on the PC version. :)
11) Remove GameSpy alltogether. Actually, tbh, UT3 Patch 1 and 2 fixed alot of the GameSpy issues, so I am not complaining anymore. :)

Ok, now my big question to all you BuFers: What would you like to see in UT 3.5? :)

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'd like to see a return of the Tournament, with the ladders just like UT2004.

It'd also be very cool to have a multiplayer version of that, where you have to pay to play matches, manage team funds, place bets and what not :)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
You don't want trolls in this thread, but this thread itself looks like a troll to me.

I doubt the 2003/2004 trick is going to fly this time so lets see them just fix what they've got, mmmk?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why? They'd have another chance at marketing, another opportunity to (hopefully) get rid of Gamespy and change some of the issues that are beyond the scope of patching. I think it would, once again, work and also be a good thing.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Why? They'd have another chance at marketing, another opportunity to (hopefully) get rid of Gamespy and change some of the issues that are beyond the scope of patching. I think it would, once again, work and also be a good thing.

The game spy thing is REALLY trivial to me- Sure, I hate them, but other than the stupid logins it hasnt hurt the game in any way. And isnt GS responsible for the current UT99 master server?

I just dont think gamers are going to bite for a rerelease with all the bugs fixed.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The game spy thing is REALLY trivial to me- Sure, I hate them, but other than the stupid logins it hasnt hurt the game in any way. And isnt GS responsible for the current UT99 master server?

I just dont think gamers are going to bite for a rerelease with all the bugs fixed.
Gamespy is at the root of almost every single problem the server administrator side of the game has. And no, Gamespy is not responsible for the master server of any Unreal series game. They host a copy of the Master Server index. That's all they do.

A re-release with twice as much content, a couple of new gametypes, a bunch of additional models/voicepacks/etc, a perfectly working dedicated server package, a totally redesigned interface, several gameplay issues resolved, etc? And possibly a $10 rebate as well? Gamers bit last time because UT2004 was so much better than UT2003 was. Epic has an opportunity to do the same thing here.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Put simply, i'd want 3.5 to do to UT3 what 2k4 did to 2k3.

But also, for it to be the UT of my dreams, they would have to get rid of cooking, it's just not doing modding any favours.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Don't forget much better maps! UT3.5 would need more maps with good layouts, effortless flow, and great item placement and less maps with stupid gimmicks, disjoint and ofttimes nonexistent flow, and an art/atmosphere > gameplay ideology. Honestly, Sentinel is the only DM map that feels like it has any sort of flow to it, and even it has issues due to a lack of ways to approach the shield belt -- you can only come from the left side of it, both "entrances" coverable by facing one direction and spamming shock combos. D:

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
Don't forget much better maps! UT3.5 would need more maps with good layouts, effortless flow, and great item placement and less maps with stupid gimmicks, disjoint and ofttimes nonexistent flow, and an art/atmosphere > gameplay ideology. Honestly, Sentinel is the only DM map that feels like it has any sort of flow to it, and even it has issues due to a lack of ways to approach the shield belt -- you can only come from the left side of it, both "entrances" coverable by facing one direction and spamming shock combos. D:
what is your opinion of defiance?

Coffin_Dancer

Jan 20, 2008
You don't want trolls in this thread, but this thread itself looks like a troll to me.

I doubt the 2003/2004 trick is going to fly this time so lets see them just fix what they've got, mmmk?

sorry, but i have to agree with SirTahngarth.

i truly feel that Epic turned us aound and roo-rooed us with no grease on this one.

as aNOTHER day goes by without patch 2 being released,
i think it's ridiculous to even consider talking about shelling out more $bean for a potential "next year's version", much less buying anything else from Epic.

imho, you must be outcho mind.

and if you want to call me a troll, well, then "troll THIS"
no thanks,
CD

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
troll.jpg

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
what is your opinion of defiance?
I haven't looked into it enough, but it's the only other one that's interesting in any way. Deck is alright, but it's Deck -- it's always been just alright. Defiance's got lots of connectivity for the most part, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's got a good flow to it. Certain rooms are laid out great, while others are long and flat and completely devoid of anything useful therein. Maybe I'll take some screenshots and point out things I find wrong and reeking of amateurish level design. :eek:

My issue with the maps is nothing stands out. I'd give almost all of them a "meh" or "ugh" and of the few others left none of them would get any sort of enthusiastic response. There's not a single great map in UT3 -- Coret is probably close but I've never enjoyed the layout. If I cared at all about ONS I might think some of those maps were pretty good, but ONS has a huge problem beyond any of the maps. The orb turns every ONS game into a multi-goal Bombing Run match with vehakals. Take out the orb but leave in the hoverboard and ONS might be worth playing. They could also have it so the orb only spawned every few minutes so that it would be used in dire/key situations. But removing it altogether is probably better since it totally f**ks up the gametype. D:

Of course, this is all just opinion. YMMV. :p