You want hardcore realism, or not so?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How much realism do you want?

• Infantry simulator. 'Nuff said.

Votes: 86 78.9%
  • More balance than realism.

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Running and gunning is real, isn't it?

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Something I've got to see for myself here because of the way the greater majority play on most servers. Not just bug exploitation but just a nonrealistic approach to playing INF. (Circle-strafing, running and gunning, huge loadouts, etc.)

So, the question is, how much realism do you want INF to have (not counting random variables of sneezing, jamming, etc.)

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Its really impossible to answer that poll. I want lots of full on realism, but I also think some elements of real life shouldnt be put in cos it cant/would unbalance the game etc.

Overon

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
After getting killed in flagstaff station right after respawning (I was in the bottom part of the level, you know the cannon fodder placement) and I mean right after respawning, twice in a row, (I tried running right before respawning but it didn't help after getting killed once) and after playing maps with 2 choke points where the average lifespan is 10 seconds, I would have to say that I don't like run and gun deathmatch. I really don't like deathmatch period, but if it's a deathmatch where the maps don't have 2 choke points, it's acceptable. I prefer something with a point to it. (I can't wait for Enhanced Assault). As a result of all this I have to say that I want more realism. Slow methodical sweeps, more walking quickly, less running, more strategy, less mindless running and gunning. That's why I have to say full realism, that's what I'm voting for.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
For quick stylish deathmatch I play The Opera. Tasteless deathmatch is what i currently get in inf :(

It's a damn shame, hope it will be fixed with the next release.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
As close to 'real' as possible while keeping it playable at the same time ...
ie :
- don't reduce the damage some weapons do just to balance things ...

- if someone wants to carry half the armory, let them. But make sure there are severe penalties. Artificial limits (such as one primary weapon, only 2 clips for the PSG-1 ...) won't make the player think about their choices.

- no random weapon jamming (it should be your fault a weapon jams, not random chance completely out of your control)

- you shouldn't need to do complicated stuff (like pressing a few keys in sequence just to reload your weapon), if it would be second nature IRL ...

Uppity

Apr 17, 2001
NE England (We hang monkeys)
Visit site
I'd like to see realistic gameplay over realistic details.

For example, I would rather that you coudn't aim while running. This would mean an end to the run+gun style play, leaving a more realistic slow advance, running only from cover to cover, with more of the shooting happening from static positions behind cover. OK, it isn't realistic from the detail point of view because you probably can aim (badly) while running, but I would rather have no aiming to give realistic gameplay than the current aiming which causes the rambo-style gameplay.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Each time I saw this poll hardcore realism partisans won...
mdr.gif

Infiltration. No compromise !

monkey_hanger

monkey spanker
Operation Flashpoint seems to have a lot of the movement characterstics that INF needs.

No instaprone. With the animations, cant fire whilst dropping or getting up. It takes a second or two for the aim to return. As well as the prone movement speeds and bulk and stamina issues.

If some of these were to be implemented into INF (which some are), i think it would make the game (movement wise) much more realistic. As well as providing good balance.

perrin98

Aug 17, 2000
Now, answer this: now how realistically do you all play? Do you do things just because the game lets you? or do you pose artificial limitations on yourself?

I carry a military style loadout, i try not to use the scope while running, i work from cover, i do NOT exploit any bugs, and i work with my teammates.

GranoblasticMan

Jun 15, 2001
Dunedin, FL
www.angelfire.com
perrin, I try to do that (I don't prone as often, and I rarely use an ACOG), but it's very difficult to use that method continuously, as it will only get you a mediocre score at best against people whose only limitations are that of the game. :(

monkey_hanger

monkey spanker
At the end of the day, there are very few ppl who play this game, and dont care about scores. I know ppl will argue that point, but i think we all want our fellow gamers respect and when playing with ppl u dont know the only way that is going to happen is by scoreing a reasonable number of points.

Its a system i dont personally like, but its one we are all stuck with at the moment.

Clan games are a different aspect completely tho. You can have the worst score on the server, but if you get that vital kill in the last round that wins the match for your team, then regardless of your score you have done well and helped your team to win, and you will no doubt be congratulated by your teammates. Unlike public games. These actions go un-noticed sadly.

I agree completely with Uppity.

I love realism. But I think some unrealstic elements need to be added to KEEP the realism. Running around with a scope to your eye (while possible) should not be allowed period. At some levels, using an m203 in some levels should not be allowed either. In Siberia, with missles lying all over the place, would you use high explosives in an area like that? That's what I thought (I sincerely hope you answered no).

I play with exceedingly realistic loadouts most of the time. My most used loadout is a plain M16A2 with 3 magazines, and two fragmentation grenades (like a real infantrymen... except I would be carrying more ammo; it's for the sake of maneuverability). My second most used loadout is an M16A2/m203 with 3 magazines, 2 m203 grenades and 2 fragmentation grenades. I would like to bring up that I do not ever use the m203 on indoor maps, and I only use them outdoors on outdoor maps (Sicily comes to mind... I will NEVER use the m203 in CQB in the house).

However, I rush. I admit it. Rushing is a very powerful tactic in this game. But it is in reality too. Catching them enemy off guard is an excellent idea. But I don't exploit glitches either. I go prone, but only at far ranges when I am under fire from an unknown source. I also hate using the ACOG (unrealsitically easy to use; the only reason I have one is for dark maps).

Rushing is a realistic tactic. It just isn't realstic currently in INF. I use it to sweep behind defenses in Sicily, flank the enemy in Siberia, and to reach sniping positions in Installation (nothing like getting an iron sight snipe kill). I will rarely attack head on, because not only is it a stupid thing to do in the game (if you can help it), but it is equally dumb in reality if possible to avoid it.

Anyways, unrealistic elements sometimes need to be added to improve the realism. I reckon that if you couldn't aim while running at full speed, you would see alot more teamwork and slower paced gameplay. Although it is possible in RL, it shouldnt be in the game. Besides, how many soldiers have you seen running at full speed with a decked out M16A2 hitting snipers with m203 grenades 20 meters away while looking through an ACOG scope? Not a single one.