"Winning hearts and minds.."

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
[SARCASM] Staged. Just like the man on the moon and everything else. Your life is one big lie. Lay down and blow your brains out it doesnt matter. This was a public service announcement brought to you by one pissed off Iraqi. [/SARCASM]

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Too f@cking bad. Am I supposed to feel bad for the looter? Maybe the GIs shouldn't have enjoyed it so much, but if you don't want your car crushed by an M1 Abrams, don't loot. Simple problem, simple solution.

Matthew

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
You seem to be missing the point. The US is trying to "win hearts and minds"; using excessive force against people who gather wood is not the way to win them over.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
I bet the guy who owned the wood the looters were stealing (er..."gathering") is probably pretty won over :p

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Insomniac said:
There are times when I'm ashamed to be american. This is one of them.

I don't get it... What's to be ashamed of? Looters are scumbags and they were being dealt with - perhaps a bit harsh, and like I said above, maybe the GIs could have masked their enjoyment a bit more...

I don't feel sorry for the looter. Iraq is/was under martial law. Break the laws at your own risk. You reaps what you soes.

Zundfolge said:
I bet the guy who owned the wood the looters were stealing (er..."gathering") is probably pretty won over :p

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Matthew

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
The "hearts and minds" seems to be working .....
Crowd beats dead US troops
Two American soldiers were shot dead and their bodies beaten with concrete blocks by a crowd yesterday in one of the most brutal attacks on the US military in Iraq.
The unusually bloody attack happened at midday in the northern town of Mosul, an area with a mixed Arab and Kurdish population that was largely peaceful in the first months of the war.
The two soldiers killed in Mosul, from the 101st Airborne Division, were sitting in a queue of traffic in their white, four-wheel-drive civilian car when they were attacked. Witnesses described seeing the gunmen shoot the soldiers before a crowd dragged their bodies out, beat them and stole their equipment.

"People were taking things from the car. I looked inside and saw two soldiers with blood all over them," said an Iraqi fireman who ran to the scene after hearing gunshots. Large pools of blood lay around the men's bodies in the middle of the road.
-How.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
"We are trying to stop them from looting, but they don't understand ... so we take their car" ????

Hey wacko ... perhaps you should learn to speak Iraqi (sp?) before doing stuff like this.
Oh well ... brawn over brains ... it's the army way of getting it done, isn't it ?

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Actually it is working but you will never hear about it because it is reported very little.

First off I do agree Bush has screwed things up real bad.

Although they want them to leave and view them as occupiers when asked if they should leave sooner, ie next month, most Iraqis say no.

The view is very much slanted by the media. Not to be out done the government is slanting the story way over the top the other way.

Also the Iraqis have a general hatred for their own media due to the fact that it is way over the top anti American and not bothering to show the vast improvements in the country.

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
You do realize that if they really would've been thieves, the original owner of the car probably would like to have his car back? But you won't think that much.

If the same situation would happen in your streets, would you find it acceptable? I sure as hell would not.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
I bet the guy who owned the wood the looters were stealing (er..."gathering") is probably pretty won over

Except that these mind-numbingly stupid excuses for human beings crushed his wood along with the car.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
You can only hope that's staged...

It's sad how the army gets all the most kind- and warmhearted and overall nicest humans with above average intelligence. :(

Crazy_Ivan

KAR whore
Jan 30, 2003
1,5meters below sea level
Visit site
You have a bunch of ghuys there who
1: want to go home
2: dont understand the language, and arent understood by some 70% of the people they are expected to protect

Furthermore the US media doesnt care about good news, as that doesnt fulfill the image that the rest of the world (their customers) has. so you wont see it.

Mosul was filled with pro-saddam sunnites in the 90's, as it is an economic centre (oil) which. these guys got their housing from the regime and are not likely to give up

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
the best thing the US can do in iraq (beside actually doing their job ;)) is to set up camps inside cities and popular districts, learn the language and the culture, and buy and eat local food instead of fries and sandwitches. I've seen a little documentary about french soldiers in foreign countries. They usually do lots of effort to get along with the local population (for instance the french Chef visiting the popular markets every morning for the daily meals :)). The US army on the other hand usually settles away from the cities, even in peace time or in friendly countries :hmm:

Last edited: