"Winning hearts and minds.."

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
W.R said:
This war is short? As I see it its still going on and I see no end in sight… It is guerilla warfare as was Vietnam...

Must disagree here. Over a 10 year course the USA lost over 55,000 soldiers. At the rate its going in Iraq it wont even come close even if this doesnt let up for 10 years.

Iraq is also not the same politically as vietnam was. Vietnam was in civil war, which the USA decided to stick its nose in. Iraq is not in civil war. There is also no hatred for the war like there was for Vietnam (in the USA I mean).

I could point out other differences but i think those are the most significant. ;)

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
This may be because the landscape of Viet Nam lends itself to ambushes and fierce close fighting with little short guys with AKs jumping out of every friggin hole and dissappearing after a 30 rnd burst but even then, the Viet Namese would not have just deserted their bases and leave all their tanks.

And the desert and urban areas have no places to do this? As has been already stated just because the big W has decided that it's all over dosen't nesseraly make that so.
Iraq is also not the same politically as vietnam was. Vietnam was in civil war, which the USA decided to stick its nose in. Iraq is not in civil war. There is also no hatred for the war like there was for Vietnam (in the USA I mean).

I may be miataken but didn't the "anti war" camp grow over time just like in the current situation?

Anyway things like this do help but I noticed a major fact in the text .....
US pays up for fatal Iraq blunders

The US military has paid out $1.5m (£907,000) to Iraqi civilians in response to a wave of negligence and wrongful death claims filed against American soldiers, the Guardian has learned.
Families have come forward with accounts of how American soldiers shot dead or seriously wounded unarmed Iraqi civilians with no apparent cause. In many cases their stories are confirmed by Iraqi police investigations.

Yesterday the US military in Baghdad admitted a total of $1,540,050 has been paid out up to November 12 for personal injury, death or damage to property. A total of 10,402 claims had been filed, the military said in a brief statement to the Guardian. There were no figures given for how many claims had been accepted.

"The US pays claims for personal injury, wrongful death and property damage," it said. "Payments will only be made for non-combat related activities and instances where soldiers have acted negligently or wrongfully."

Commanders make payments from their discretionary funds, rarely even admitting liability. Payouts average just a few hundred dollars and in some cases families have been asked to sign forms waiving their right to press for further compensation. In one area of south-western Baghdad, controlled by the 82nd Airborne Division, an officer said a total of $106,000 had been paid out to 176 claimants since July.

Beyond the initial payments there is little recourse for the families of the dead. No American soldier has been prosecuted for illegally killing an Iraqi civilian and commanders refuse even to count the number of civilians killed or injured by their soldiers.

Iraqi courts, because of an order issued by the US-led authority in Baghdad in June, are forbidden from hearing cases against American soldiers or any other foreign troops or foreign officials in Iraq.

Human Rights Watch concluded that US troops were operating "with impunity. The individual cases of civilian deaths... reveal a pattern by US forces of over-aggressive tactics, indiscriminate shooting in residential areas and a quick reliance on lethal force", Human Rights Watch said. "The lack of timely and thorough investigations into many questionable incidents has created an atmosphere of impunity, in which many soldiers feel they can pull the trigger without coming under review."

For the families of the dead, the killings and the lack of legal recourse has provoked a groundswell of opposition to the US military occupation.

In some cases relatives have spoken of their plans to join the growing guerrilla resistance movement to avenge the deaths of their relatives. "I know the American soldiers are not inhumane because I saw them when they first came and they behaved well. But now they have changed and I don't know why," said Faiz Alwasity, who works for Civic, the Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict, one of the few groups that has helped secure payments for civilian victims of the US military operations in Afghanistan and now Iraq.

"They are becoming more aggressive, maybe because they are frightened. I am afraid this is creating more resistance against them."

Yep thats great give the troops a licence to do anything ........ it's not like troops have done terrible things when given impunity in the past
-How.

Last edited:

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
There is also no hatred for the war like there was for Vietnam (in the USA I mean).

I was under the impression that there was far more opposition to this war, even before it started, in comparison to Vietnam. The anti Vietnam war movement didnt start to pickup huge momentum till later in the war.

*edit* Argh, I mean that early in the war there was little opposition, and it built up. With Iraq, there is moderate opposition, and I dont see it doing anything but building for as long as it lasts.

We must be looking at at least another 5 years of US occupation.

Last edited:

Crazy_Ivan

KAR whore
Jan 30, 2003
1,5meters below sea level
Visit site
which is politically better for bush than having iran take over the south and NATO getting into a mess in eastern turkey.
That something like this scenario will happen somewhere in the future is nearly inevitable... take yugoslavia as an example

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I guess we now know why Bush didn't want the international court ... kind of predictable really.

And thanks to Bush's "Moslims are teh 3V1l!!!"-speeches I think the american army doesn't see the Iraqi as equals but as scum at best. Also not that different from Vietnam ... (with racisme still not being a thing of the past in the usa I guess that was predictable as well)

While the usa may not be loosing as many soldiers percentagewise, it does look like that every single attack is more effective at causing problems back home.

And are we conveniently forgetting Afghanistan as well ?
Both Iraq & Afghanistan are similar to Vietnam as the USA does not have a clear goal & exit-strategy for both.
A 'war against terrorisme' is about as generic as one can get.
Might as well start a war against drugs (ooh wait, you're doing that already) or crime.
Both have given nothing more than a phyrric victory at best.

This 'war' in Iraq won't even be done in 5-10 years. It will be more like an eternal occupation. Then again with the Soviet-threat being a thing of the past the war-industry needed a new project ... and Bush & co fell for their lies (again).

btw :
when the germans invaded they also told us they were going to help us as well ... and initially it can be said they did.
I'd even say that's what any wannabe 'liberator' tells their victims ...

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
A_Rimmerlister said:
...And thanks to Bush's "Moslims are teh 3V1l!!!"-speeches....

When did any speach given by GWB say things like that? All the speaches I remember hearing were very careful to NOT say things like that. He clarified time and again that this war was not a war on Islam, but a war on terrorism. Your statement was particularly ignorant.

A_Rimmerlister said:
...when the germans invaded they also told us they were going to help us as well ... and initially it can be said they did.
I'd even say that's what any wannabe 'liberator' tells their victims ...

So now you're comparing the actions of the US with the actions of Nazi Germany? Get real. Do you not honestly believe that the life of the average Iraqi will be improved (in a year or so, once the rebuilding is done) compared to how they lived under Saddam? :rolleyes:

Matthew

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Big_Duke_06 said:
So now you're comparing the actions of the US with the actions of Nazi Germany? Get real. Do you not honestly believe that the life of the average Iraqi will be improved (in a year or so, once the rebuilding is done) compared to how they lived under Saddam? :rolleyes:

Matthew
How they lived under Saddam before or during the sanctions? If the former: Not a chance. In five years, maybe.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
Do you not honestly believe that the life of the average Iraqi will be improved (in a year or so, once the rebuilding is done) compared to how they lived under Saddam?

A year is a little optimistic, dont you think? Its already been months and things are getting steadily worse atm.

Its not inconcievable that things could improve for the Iraqis, especially if by some miracle the democrats get in.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Actually things have improved for many there. You are just not getting the story.

I am truly amazed. When this whole thing started every news story outlining the reasons for going to war was dismissed. The media is the governments puppet etc. Don't believe what the media is telling you.

Now we have a situtation where the media describes whats going on as one step from hell. This time though we must believe them.

The fact is we didn't get good info then and we are certainly not getting it now.

Things have improved dispite the fact you are not hearing about it. Most of the people do not want the US to leave right away. They know very well what would happen. They certainly don't love the occupirers but they understand what will happen if they leave tommorrow.

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
(SDS)benmcl said:
Actually things have improved for many there. You are just not getting the story.

I am truly amazed. When this whole thing started every news story outlining the reasons for going to war was dismissed. The media is the governments puppet etc. Don't believe what the media is telling you.

Now we have a situtation where the media describes whats going on as one step from hell. This time though we must believe them.

The fact is we didn't get good info then and we are certainly not getting it now.

Things have improved dispite the fact you are not hearing about it. Most of the people do not want the US to leave right away. They know very well what would happen. They certainly don't love the occupirers but they understand what will happen if they leave tommorrow.
Funny this. I mean, all these pro-war or at least pro-US people going around talking about how the situation in iraq is improving for many. It is just that it isn't "good" news, so it isn't reported. Strangely, none of these apologists seem to bother with sources for their claims. ;)

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
(SDS)benmcl said:
Things have improved dispite the fact you are not hearing about it.

How do you know?

And do you mean things have improved not including the guerilla war that is raging through the country, and the still decimated infrastructure?

(SDS)benmcl said:

Maybe you should vary your sources more. The BBC carried editorial and commentries covering a range of opinions for and against the reasons for war, and now has nightly briefings on what is happening there. I dont see the contradiction.

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
Well, I'm Viet Namese so I might be a little quick to be angered when my cousins (Communist or not) are compared to the Iraqi soldiers :D

And no, the NVA never beat America in open battle but in large battles (like Hamburger Hill) America lost more soldiers than in the entire "War" in Iraq.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Spier said:
Funny this. I mean, all these pro-war or at least pro-US people going around talking about how the situation in iraq is improving for many. It is just that it isn't "good" news, so it isn't reported. Strangely, none of these apologists seem to bother with sources for their claims. ;)

I find it equally funny how all the anti-war and anti-American people go around talking about how GWB gave "Moslims are teh 3V1l!!!" speaches without bothering to give sources for their claims.

cleve-ntt said:
Now when he needs to do rounds, he should borrow their tanks :D

No, now when the he needs to do rounds, he should think about how he shouldn't have looted. And that's the point. If he wasn't looting, his taxi wouldn't have been crushed.

Matthew

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
And if you don't say "I'd like to kill Bush" you won't be put in prison*.That dosn't make it right.

*Actualy "I wish he would hurt himself" or something like that is enough but I don't have time to search for the source now.

Last edited:

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
No, now when the he needs to do rounds, he should think about how he shouldn't have looted. And that's the point. If he wasn't looting, his taxi wouldn't have been crushed.

How simple things are for you. No grey areas whatever.

You ignore the fact that wood is fuel, in a city which has chronic power shortages, along with chronic medical shortages. Is it impossible to envisage a situation where he might need fuel enough to steal it? Even if not, do you think destroying his means of income and transport is proportionate to stealing some wood? In a city with chronic power shortages?

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Yeah, I mean, thats his life screwed up. In the sort of country that you don't get a second chance.
This people are like us. That person could have been like one of these people, posting on the forum, telling us how he has been, if he had been born in a country lie ours.

He is a person, like the thousands of others you hear about. He is not a statistic, and until you accept and realise and think about just how bad it must be, you cant say you have a point.

Looters are scumbags and they were being dealt with...

Wrong! They are merely people in a **** situation trying to survive.

If its any consolation, I would probably have stolen wood in those circumstances, even though I am totally against stealing - would you wanna destroy my livelyhood?
(well you probably would actually).

You don't seem to understand that these looter have a purpose - if america was attacked, then it would be unjustified looting (bar the very poor), as there is probably a lot less poverty - people tend to be able to eat when they are hungry. In Iraq, people were starving anyway, their whole country and infrastructure was destroyed in a few weeks. That brings a lot of problems.

Hey, does anyone remember Afghanistan? Theres still fighting going on out there ya no, and when was the last news report on that?

Last edited:

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Wow, I've got multiple thoughts on this one. Initially, and without seeing the video, I was getting pretty incensed at those of you passing judgement, especially those of you not even IN America telling us what is going on HERE and whether we support the war or whatever. How the topic strayed from whatever was on that video, to comparisons to Viet Nam, more America bashing, how to culturalize us into the country, Bush sucks, etc, etc, etc.

Then I actually watched the video.

That's just stupid. I would love to meet the officer in charge of that fiasco, his company commander, battalion commander, brigade commander, division commander, and so on and so on. (Although I wasn't a tanker, so I don't know the correct phrases) Just plain ignorant. I'm not going to go off on some crazy tangent, BUT: Emptying their sidearms into the windshield and tires did.....what exactly? Driving over the vehicle with a tank, not once, but twice.......proved what? Then, LEAVING THE LOOTED PROPERTY on top of the car as it was crushed, explained to the Iraqis the importance of law and order in what way? That was just plain ignorant. I'm not so naive as to believe that our soldiers don't improvise, or believe that things go on that many would not necessarily want to see. But that is not an appropriate example of policing under martial law. That was more "Judge Dredd" than anything else, and it was especially stupid to do it for the camera, and play it TO the camera.

Having said that, and more on topic of media media media. That was CLEARLY, and I mean CLEARLY, a liberal, antiwar media event, no doubt aired on PBS. So let's not get too wrapped up in believing that what you see is EVERYTHING. Take the PBS show, then watch FOX news and make an educated guess somewhere in the middle.

As far as antiwar protesting, etc., remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, ergo the small number of anti-war protesters are ALWAYS going to be heavily covered by the media, because they make it an EVENT. I would say that is not NECESSARILY the position of the rest of America.

And Freon, I love ya brother, and believe it or not, I think you have some good points sometimes. But that, in my opinion, was the stoopidest post I've ever seen. To believe that an occupying force of any nationality, anywhere in the world, should be required to immerse itself in the culture of the occupied country is ludicrous. Civil affairs teams, support teams, transitional military units, yes, moreso than other soldiers. The US Military HAS been sensitive to Islamic customs (not without mistakes or oversights, yes) and they have provided their soldiers with some rudimentary Arabic phrases, but to expect a tanker from the 3d Infantry, or a Marine Corps Rifleman, or any old grunt to immerse themselves in a culture to pacify the opposing force is ridiculous. I want those men to have a fighting spirit. I don't want them to concern themselves with making pals. I want them to be motivated, and to fight to win.

Comparing a cook, shopping the local markets for veggies, hardly compares to a group of tankers, suddenly given the task of preventing looting. They do what they know. What would a cook do if he came upon some looters, throw tomatoes? :D

Seriously, I remember watching footage of a Battalion Commander with an infantry unit advising his soldiers to NOT pursue attackers when they fled into a mosque, and showing the leaders of the crowd that they would back off and not fight. They RETREATED because of respect for the Iraqis religion.

Here's a good, very short book to read: Boots on the Ground: A Month With the 82d Airborne in the Battle for Iraq by Karl Zinsmeister. Excellent, short read, he is a journalist, the Editor in Chief for "The American Enterprise". It's basically a diary of 30 days with the 325.