What's with all the Doom3 hype?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
The most offtopic reply ever :p

i have to agree wolfenstein started this whole thing, but they sure as hell aren't going to finish it :p
i got rtcw and its good but it doesn't have that wow factor imo
great graphics, and all but the single player part is just soo boring i mean how many times haven't i infiltrated a goddamn rocket base, listening to watchers complaining, crawled in air vents ,etc etc
when i played nolf i had more fun than wolfenstein, it has got a more involving story.
but i'm not going to compare things here ;)

overal score : 71%
the multieplayer part of the game makes it all worth buying

Noob reviewer signing of :p

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
I wasn't talking about wolfenstein3D. I was referring to the ORIGINAL Castle Wolfenstein. Most of you are too young to remember that, though.

Likewise with Duke Nukem.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Originally posted by fragswill
d00d, just face the facts. I'm not immature - doom3 sucks.

You idiot, Doom3 hasn't even been released yet. Saying it sucks is not a fact, it's pure undadultered speculation. And how the sh!t does that have ANYTHING to do with the way you act?

I stand by my statement about the moronitude in this thread. There's been very little arguments more complicated than:
"Doom sucks"
"no, Unreal sucks"
"no, you suck"

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
<spiel>

I think U1 had great Single Player... just got boring about 15 levels in. Doom was worse. Especially doom 2. All the levels looked the same (God forbid...Quake?) and all the enemies do the same thing. Sorry guys....2D objects don't cut it when it comes to BSPs. And volumetric lighting? Who would stick with that when the GF3 is out? Opt for Pixel Shader ALL THE WAY! :D Doom 3 is coming out the end of 2003. U2 is out next year. Can you really compare those two? no... But UW is coming out in 2003, and it's unlikely Epic or anyone associated with them will use anything less than the best (like usual). All of the Unreal games have pushed the limit for PC games. I'm sorry, but all of id's games use what they have and don't push. (i.e. RTCW....Q3 ENGINE???? WHAT THE ****????) They could have done so much more! They could have innovated! (Yes I know...I'm not talking about Wolf3d.) They could have.......offered support for D3D!!! They could have done something. Those **** morons! Geez....

</end of spiel>

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
These days, building a new advanced 3d engine is such a huge endeavor that it's damn hard to do that AND create an excellent game at the same time. Look at what they did with Deus Ex; admittedly used just a tweaked version of the UT engine but released an absolutely awesome game that was joyfully low on bugs. RtCW didn't even come close to Deus Ex in terms of innovation, but if they'd tried to write a new engine it would have taken a year longer to finish the game and they would not have been able to concentrate as much on gameplay balance, storyline, etc.

What's this about D3D support? You talking about RtCW, because I can't imagine them neglecting D3D for that one. But I honestly don't know, so please enlighten.

Sometimes I feel guilty about it, but I agree with you about comparing 'classic' and newer games.......it just isn't on the same level at all. After I've been getting used to UT's graphical goodness for so long, I can't stay interested in the old SNES roms which used to captivate me, back when I had a crappy computer. And I just know Neonite's gonna kick my ass if he shows up ;).

fragswill

Charismatic Leader
Mar 21, 2000
Sweden
You idiot, Doom3 hasn't even been released yet. Saying it sucks is not a fact, it's pure undadultered speculation.

No you're right, it hasn't been released but it is indeed a fact that it sucks.

I recall SOMEONE saying that you can't say anything about doom3 since it's not released. Well what is this:

"Doom sucks"
"no, Unreal sucks"
"no, you suck"

I rest my case.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
What's this about D3D support? You talking about RtCW, because I can't imagine them neglecting D3D for that one. But I honestly don't know, so please enlighten.

RTCW is based on the Q3A/Q3TA engine which is a dedicated openGL code. there is no D3D support. But they don't need to since most cards have good GL support, especially the NVidia cards.

You idiot, Doom3 hasn't even been released yet. Saying it sucks is not a fact, it's pure undadultered speculation.
No you're right, it hasn't been released but it is indeed a fact that it sucks.

Fragswill's lack of reasoning makes itself more apparent than before. The point here, fanboy, is that nobody cares about what you're saying besides the people who'd like to see you not make a complete ass of yourself on the forums - Not John Carmack who still is one of the most brilliant engine-coders in town, not Epic whose games, unlike in your narrow perception, have an immense identity way beyond being competition for id and certainly not Legend who is too busy making the best action shooter for Spring 2002.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep. No D3D support in RTCW. The only reason it bothers me is that my computer isn't fast enough to handle OGL in 1280x1024x32, but it's ok in D3D. And besides that, making OGL proprietary in your game is no different than back during the old Quake 1 days when you HAD to use Glide. The only difference is more cards support OGL than glide, which I guess is a good thing.

Personally, I believe in giving the user the option of using whatever API they feel runs best on their machine. I have to say I agree with Epic on this one, because they offer Glide, OGL, D3D, S3M, PVR, etc.

And all of this "Unreal sucks" crap coming up on this board? I honestly have to say, why do you even come to this forum if you don't like Unreal? Or if you're some pansy who thinks that Doom 3 will even compare to U2 (a year apart, remember?) Besides, my guess is that D3 will use another modified Q3 engine (might as well stick with what works right?) or does someone know that that's wrong? I'm kind of interested to know... Anyways, it reminds me of the old days when Epic had an Unreal forum, and everybody was a ***-**** flamer in there. Some people really need to get a life.

<edit> oops!
I think that Jhon Carmack is a great programmer. I just don't like his games much, personally. For example, EVERY game that id has released, including RTCW has identical textures. HOW BORING CAN YOU GET???? Brown and grey and black are not my idea of an array of colors... I mean, honestly... it gets just a LITTLE annoying to see the same colors from Doom 1 all the way to Quake 3. Did they just change the engine, and bring the same textures up from down there??? GEEZ! There are more colors than brown!
</edit>

Apr 7, 2001
England
Visit site
I liked the doom series at the time, but i have never liked Quake, Unreal / UT is much better that any of the quakes. (I played King Pin, highly modified quake engine, and got bored after about a week)

BTW what is RTCW?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (new and in 3D with brown textures!) I wanted to buy it only for the Single Player because I loved Wolf3D so much, but I've heard nothing but bad about the single player.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Wow, OpenGL lives! :lol: Well, I suppose it's good for the people who have wierd video cards that RtCW uses OpenGL since practically every card can run it, but you're right Brizz - that was kind stoopid to not include any D3D support.

And wow, fragswill. Just.......wow. You astound me.

lceman

Overclocked
Oct 28, 2001
Birmingham, England
Visit site
Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
I think that Jhon Carmack is a great programmer. I just don't like his games much, personally. For example, EVERY game that id has released, including RTCW has identical textures. HOW BORING CAN YOU GET???? Brown and grey and black are not my idea of an array of colors... I mean, honestly... it gets just a LITTLE annoying to see the same colors from Doom 1 all the way to Quake 3. Did they just change the engine, and bring the same textures up from down there??? GEEZ! There are more colors than brown!
Firstly, Carmack always makes a new engine for his games. Wolf didn't need one. The quake 3 engine is still the best available (of games that have been released), and Quake 3 has fantastic graphics, which leads me onto my second point.
Why to people just scream "brown and grey" all the time? There was alot more in Q3, and the textures were the best I've ever seen in a game. Some of them are absolutely incredible.

Btw, why would Carmack recode his engine in D3D, when OGL works fine, and on multiple formats.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
that RtCW uses OpenGL since practically every card can run it, but you're right Brizz - that was kind stoopid to not include any D3D support.
For the record, none of id's games has D3D support to date because:
1. Upto now it has been far less robust than OGL (Though JC has a few kind words about Direct X 8.0)
2. It is Windows specific while OGL is a cross-platform API

, making OGL proprietary in your game is no different than back during the old Quake 1 days when you HAD to use Glide. The only reason it bothers me is that my computer isn't fast enough to handle OGL in 1280x1024x32, but it's ok in D3DI believe in giving the user the option of using whatever API they feel runs best on their machine. I have to say I agree with Epic on this one, because they offer Glide, OGL, D3D, S3M, PVR, etc.
Not so Sir Brizz, Quake only had OGL support. 3dfx released Voodoo card drivers that would handle the OGL calls within Quake.
I believe that beyond 1024*768 all resolutions are more bargging rights oriented than in terms of appreciable increase in visual quality so you shouldn't take it that bad. Open GL support in Unreal games till date has been spotty but hopefully newer versions of the engine should kick off this sluggishness.
Epic has discontinued Glide support after UT. In fact Sweeney has been quoted saying that Glide should be dead and buried.

Btw Master_Blaster if you want a colorful game that uses the Quake (II) engine give a shot at Raven's Heretic 2. I guarantee you will at least not find it lacking in color-candy although you will want to give some concession to the limits of the base engine while judging the graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.