What's with all the Doom3 hype?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Great thread, this. :rolleyes:

As if we haven't seen the old Epic game vs. iD game debate a million times before.

I thought BuF had gotten over this, personally.

fragswill

Charismatic Leader
Mar 21, 2000
Sweden
Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
In terms of moddability, UT still comes out on top. The mods for UT are better, there are more of them, and the teams can use UScript (which Q3 doesn't have/do well)

Sir_brizz obviously knows a lot about modding. UT is actually by far the community with most mods. Just look at planetquake.. they have, what, 10 hosted mods?

Then compare counter-strike to strike ops, or RA3 to RAUT and you'll see how well-made our mods are.

fragswill

Charismatic Leader
Mar 21, 2000
Sweden
To further prove my point, here are two screenshots of custom maps from UT and Q3.

The colorless and claustrophobic bal3dm4:
bal3dm4.jpg

The excellent dm-helleth:
helleth.jpg

Maybe if bal3dm4 had been made on an engine that can handle more than brown and grey it would've looked less ugly. It is obvious why so many mappers choose the unreal engine.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Originally posted by fragswill
Maybe if bal3dm4 had been made on an engine that can handle more than brown and grey it would've looked less ugly.

This is such patented Bull****! You want colorful games with Q3A, take a look at Heavy Metal: FAKK2, Alice, the upcoming MOH:AA. They're some of the most colorful games on the scene.
The Graphics engine for Q3A is a wonderful piece of code that scales beautifully on a range of systems. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean you try to trash it in such an indiscriminate, thoughtless manner. Blame any lack of imagination on the mappers and modders who aren't really racking their brains to come up with really winning creations.
But I'll definitely agree that Unreal Engine handles detail texturing much better. Q3A's models get blurry up-close, but that could in my case also be coz of my low-end card.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Actually outta those 2 shots the quake one does look better... not a good UT choice...

And yes, MOH looks ownage, outta mods, i think ut owns.... but like other engine games whats UT have... Wheel of time (i havent played) Rune (ihavent played) both dont look apealing....

then Q3 has RtCW and MOH!! Alice was ok....

The 2 engines war isnt easy either... it just depends on how they are used, ut has better mod stuff (i love ued to death) but q3 has some simple stuff too......

Q3 arena was plaing CRAP! But i will not judge the engine by that game cause RtCW ROX!!

And btw, correct me if im wrong, maybe you meant outta Q3 and UT, but HL has the bigest mod community?

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Originally posted by fragswill
Erm, you can't honestly think that the bal3dm4 screenshot looks better.

I dont think that was a good ut shot at all.... it looks a little more clean but the q3 one has lights and some reflection textures...

The ut one is kinda plain... should have used a diffrent pic for that comparison!

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
All you're proving with these screenshots is that Q3 does in fact look nicer than UT......though it depends on what you like. I mean, the Tempest shot is 100% blue and gray; is that any better than Q3's brown and gray? How about the Helleth shot, that one's just about completely BROWN! And the textures in the second Q3 shot there are better than Tempest, that's all there is to it. UT looks better in some ways (it definitely looks more realistic) but judging what "looks better" is a subjective matter anyways.

Can we drop this now?

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Originally posted by Pineconeboy
Can we drop this now?

I doubt pineconeboy. The mighty Fragswill is intent on proving his lack of good sense in the most thorough way.

Interesting point: I really haven't played much of Q3DM, don't at all enjoy it. But when move through the maps alone without bots/people. I find that the layout although extremely inelegant actually makes for fluid navigation - those jump pads are set up pretty well. Only in the heat of battle the more astute players will completely demolish lesser opponents. certainly not a balanced contest there. UT, I think is more forgiving to the newbie player.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
wheel of time had some awesome level design and great effects :tup:

one of the reasons i prefer unreal tournament over quake 3 is the multiple styles of gameplay you can choose from, not to mention the tons of mods that you can easily activate. the weapons are also more suited to my tastes. i dont have to worry quite as much if i have two enforcers against someone with a rocket launcher than i would if i had a shotgun against someone with a rocket launcher in quake 3.

i also wish that ID would try to be a tad more innovative. they used the exact same weapons that were in doom 2 in quake 3 arena, just remodelled and slightly recoded. unreal tournament added a few new weapons and totally changed the look of all of the weapons.

i will give ID kudos on their shaders, though. they're very pretty, and some maps like klcurves are stunning. quake 3 has come the closest to photorealistic lighting in any game.

and finally, i disagree about quake 3 having better textures. if you use the textures from the second UT cd, some are just incredible. maps like ctf-projectx2, dm-requiem, and others use some of the more noticeably improved ones.... detail textures seem to be better-done than in quake 3-engine games too (like alice). you can SEE where the detail texture stops or hits the first stage of blending. in UT the effect is a lot subtler...

bah. i need to get a hobby.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I doubt pineconeboy. The mighty Fragswill is intent on proving his lack of good sense in the most thorough way.

you mean fragswill has bad sense?? Could've fooled me.

i will give ID kudos on their shaders, though. they're very pretty, and some maps like klcurves are stunning. quake 3 has come the closest to photorealistic lighting in any game.

Maybe we'll get lucky and one of these new games will have a pixel-shaded flashlight! I mean, CRIKEY! Even a volumetric flashlight would be nice! If you don't know what I mean, I mean a light that actually makes the light work dim where the beam is small and bright where the beam hits. Why can't they do that?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.