what kind of machine do you use to play UT2004?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
P4 3.2GHz CPU
Thermalright 947U HS with Arctic Silver 5
Panaflo 92mm fan (56.8 CFM, 35 dBA) for HS
Asus P4P800-Deluxe (I865PE) MB
2GB Corsair TwinX1024 PC3200C2 Pro RAM
Two WD 200GB 8MB cache hard drives
Lite-On LDW-851S 8X black DVD burner
Lite-On SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROM
Asus DVD-E616P3 DVD-ROM
Sony black floppy drive
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9800Pro 256MB video card w/ BGA ramsinks (4.7 cats)
Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer for 9800Pro
Creative SB Audigy2 sound card
Viewsonic 19" G90FB black monitor
Enermax 550W power supply
Lian-Li PC-71 black case (comes w/ four 80mm fans)>gave one fan to Mom
Lian-Li clear windowed side panel for PC-71
Two Sunon 80mm KD-1208PTBX-6A fans (50.6 cfm, 40.5 dBA)(front)
Coolermaster 80mm TLF-R82-E1 Blue Neon fan (32.11 cfm, 25 dBA)(back; 3 ADDA fans came with case for back also)
Four Antec 80mm black fan guards
Logitech Elite black keyboard
Razer Boomer Speed mouse for USB
Logitech MX500 mouse for PS/2
A bunch of round IDE cables
USB 2.0 cable
Canon i455 Photo Printer
D-Link DI-704P router
Two Vantec Nexus NXP-201 Black Fan Controllers
Klipsch 5.1 speakers (old style that looks like "real" speakers)
MS Windows XP SP1a Home Edition

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Hey lets not turn this into a flame-fest. I'm a pure AMD person myself, but I can see advantages in using an Intel.
Single Cores: They are much faster at encoding video and music. They can Multitask much better. They do get a lot hotter though.
Dual Cores: Erm AMD kick the **** out of Intel here..... but Intel are much cheaper. lol

ABout the max temperatures. So many Intel users say the P4 can take muh more heat that the AMDs around at the moment. High Spec P4s run above 50 degrees or much higher in some cases. The New AMDs reach much lower temps. Mine only just hit45 degrees when overclocked from 1.8 to 2.4, that was a load temp. SO hitting 80 safely from there sounds a bit unlikely. Must be for the old socket A chips. My old one used to be at load at just under 70 (during the time when my psu decided to fry everything and burn out)

@ Edhe. Amds are still cheaper for there performance if you are looking at Single Cores. The general public aren't going to be looking into Dual Cores yet.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Simple fact: newer AMD chips were too expensive compared to equivalent Intel chips at time of system build
System build: February 2004
Time that this changed: Summer 2004

SkaarjMaster was a victim of the whole system build and timing of prices and stuff. Don't worry, my next build will be an AMD. My other/older system is an AMD >> AthlonXP 1900+, Soyo Dragon+ MB, Thermalright AX-7 HS, GeF4Ti4400, etc. Sorry I have strayed to the dark side, I will be back soon!:D

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
SkaarjMaster said:
Simple fact: newer AMD chips were too expensive compared to equivalent Intel chips at time of system build
May be, but AMD don't code compilers that run fantastic on their processors, then are coded to run rubbish on other processors (unlike Intel) ;)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Silent Hunter said:
btw, is it possible to overclock a sempron 2400+?
Depends on what sort of overclocking you want to do. (Not sure on your knowlege of computers here) You wont be able to change the multiplier (I'm assuming they arent much different to an old AthlonXP) so you will have to push the fsb up. with this the clock speed of the chip will go up and hence is overclocked. You will be held back from pushing the fsb really high unless you can lower the multiplier as the chip will get too hot / not have enough voltage (or other probs.... perhaps is just crap like my old one)

Without knowing more about the rest of the setup can't say much more. I have no idea what sort of clock to expect on a Sempron

The_Noik

O_o
Jun 11, 2005
netherlands
xray.messageboard.nl
they said that its impossible to overclock a sempron,
im affraid it is, because.
when i first installed the cpu, it calibrated itself,
didnt need to change some numbers in the bios.

so i think it will always run at 1667 mhz.

but i shouldnt complain, doom 3 is running at high settings
and resolution without hickups.

(the gfxcards is using an arperture size of 512 MB,
it runs very good with all games, esspecialy the heavy ones.)

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
hehe, the new X2 4600 came, and with just a mild OC of 230fsb (which is all the 2gig kit of memeory I have is good for) I just took the #1 X2 powered 7800 series Futuremark 03 spot on the ORB! :)
Can`t wait for the TCCD sticks to come back from an RMA, they were good for 313fsb. :)

Shroom-FX

Basshead
Jul 2, 2005
www.okobo.com
Intel P4 2.0Ghz
512Mb DRR Ram
Geforce 4 ti4600
Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm Hard disk
Creative Audigy Soundcard
MSI 645E MAx2 Mobo
Generic-ish DVD/Floppy drives

Check teh pwnage! :)

Any cheap crap you guys don't want? I'd be happy to buy it off you, almost anything would be better than this :rolleyes:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Rukee said:
hehe, the new X2 4600 came, and with just a mild OC of 230fsb (which is all the 2gig kit of memeory I have is good for) I just took the #1 X2 powered 7800 series Futuremark 03 spot on the ORB! :)
Can`t wait for the TCCD sticks to come back from an RMA, they were good for 313fsb. :)
......Where do you get your money from mate......

What sort of scores you getting in 3D Mark?
I can't decide on my next upgrade..... I want a dual core, but I need more RAM for BF2. And I want a second Monitor.....

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
The Vapo is gone, I sold it as freezing the a64s is expensive as the socket has hidden areas that you can`t force dielectric grease into to push the air out, without all the air out of the socket that trapped air has moisture that freezes and starts the dreaded 'pin rot' over time... and I`ve waisted too much money frying CPUs due to this shortcoming. Plus I only gained like 500MHz. Less memory would be alright, but more importantly is memory capable of running faster speeds. The 2 gig kit I have is only good for 230fsb and I don`t have anyother decent OCing sticks right now till OCZ sends back the PC-5000EL sticks.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Fair arguement. I wish OCZ did a good 2Gig set of Platinum..... I love my stuff :)
might get another set to let me play BF2 better, but i could do with 2 x 1Gig sticks.
Hows the 4600 taking to the Overclocks at the moment? Can it cope with some extra heat?

Rukee

May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
The_Head said:
Hows the 4600 taking to the Overclocks at the moment? Can it cope with some extra heat?
It has the coolest looking twin heat pipe heat sink and fan combo, it`s realy very high tech looking. :D
Right now I`m at the sameplace I was with the SD a3700 I just took out , 230-233fsb only 1 multiplyer higher which 233 is the limit of the memory and everything still at stock voltage, which is lower then any other a64 I`ve had. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/Rukee/x2.jpg
*EDIT* I thought I was at std core voltages, but looking in the BIOS, I do have it bumped up abit.

Last edited:

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
Rukee said:
I`m a self employed auto tech, I work out of my home, been doing that for going on 14 yrs now, works out great.
the latest 03 run I`ve done, and the #1 X2 7800 spot. :)
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4143729
You need a new sound card, that onboard one doesn't support upto 64 sources at once (which basically all Creative's cards do) and UT2004 with sound settings on default easily uses 49 sources constantly.

Anyway, here is my 3DMark03 score: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4139696