Weapon Balance Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
I think part of the problem with gunners has been the custom maps that people are releasing. There are too many of them that have all the main features placed in the middle of nowhere, making them vulnerable to snipers.

I don't mind the larger outdoors maps, as long as the nodes, or some of the gens are indoors, or have loads of cover

Last edited:

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Jubei said:
mind you these days around it's hard to find a good gunner that's active and that has the rocket aim to get rid of rangers and techs easily
Hey, you forgot me! Oh wait, you said "good". Never mind...

That reminds me of the time I was getting owned all over the server and someone thought I was Scar!

Last edited:

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
Naib said:
I think part of the problem with gunners has been the custom maps that people are releasing. There are too many of them that have all the main features placed in the middle of nowhere, making them vulnerable to snipers.

I don't mind the larger outdoors maps, as long as the nodes, or some of the gens are indoors, or have loads of cover

I thought most of them are best suited to gunners imo :/ (mostly open spaces (both inside and out) are a good place to fire rockets... and obviously conc jump/dodge across the outside ones :)

I like cover too - like hills and stuff are good. Piles of leaves would be fun too if you had a button for kick! :D

Skipr

Apr 1, 2004
Please fix this

Dont let gas gernades destroy mines....I dont see how anything in the gaseous state can destroy a mine that has to be physically touched to be destroyed.

And dont say "oo, the gas is toxic and acidic and burns the mine!"

Its stupid, gas gernades should not destroy mines

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
oo, the gas is toxic and acidic and burns the mine!

Seriously though. Gas hurts you, which suggests that it can screw up your power suit or whatever. Your power suit thingy should be able to filter it out mostly, since it has its own oxygen source (proof: XMP-Freefall is in space, and OMG YOU SURVIVE). Therefore gas must do something to get into your suit. Therefore it probably can get into the mine and screw it up, especially since mines have a lot less "health" than players.

::EDIT::

I also play frequently as a Tech, and I'm no n00b. (at least I think I'm not ;p)
I also have met many real awesome players that also specialize in tech.
I only play as the other classes when I want a refreshing change or there are too few players and I have to adapt to the situation.

Last edited:

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
Skipr said:
No, as you said gas would mess up the oxygen. Mines have no oxygen.

Reread my post, please. I meant that it would screw up the oxygen by somehow getting INTO the suit. This suggests that it burns a hole in a tube or something, which means it can also burn into the trip mines' sensitive touch-boom trigger. :)

::EDIT::

The mines explode when destroyed by gas, so that suggests that the gas also set off the mine in the process.

Last edited:

Go-Bot

Shadow Leadership
Jan 23, 2004
over there somewhere
when you are in the middle of the field you should be open game to rangers ... thats the rangers playground ;) ... and wut happens in most cases a ranger enters a "sealed" node room with a good gunner in there ? ranger ends up dead

Ranger = open field (offense)
Tech = midfield (hacking)
Gunner = node (defense)

as for gas going threw walls ? wouldnt that be more like a door ? hmmm thought gas was airborn :-/ ... is this door sealed tight ? cuase gas can slip threw cracks :p .. but i do beleive gas shouldnt blow up mines or laser trip mines

Last edited by a moderator:

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
[_X_]CaptInsano said:
I agree with \/\/orf about the Tech's CAR rifle, it could use more accuracy and range, and the alt-fire is too slow. This would make reducing the Shotty range pallatable, but realisticly, buck-shot can travel over a half-mile or so, and it only takes one piece to hit you just right to kill you.
The gunner could really use a chaingun or mini-gun like the one's suggested by Zaknafein and PRG.
The pistol is fine by me, it only has six shots w/ a very small reticule, maybe a longer reload would make it more fair.

Since all the ranger weapons have excellent range and the gunner has short, medium, & long range weapons. It seems unfair to reduce the Tech's range when he only has short to meduim range as it is...

Not a flame but you have no idea what you are talking about ,To get a shotgun to shoot Buckshot a 1/2 mile you would half to be on a cliff and fire it at the moon so both ways up and down counted. 00buck will when shot on the level say from the hip in a open field will be on the ground bouncing in less than 200 yards...a 1/2 mile is 440 yards.

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
The only problem i ever saw was the confrontation between gunner and ranger at close range and that is all depenent on Ping...the way they old weapons were this was stricky a low pingers game and those with higher ping could play but only in a limited way compared to low pingers.the only way i ever figured out that would balance it not just for weapons but keeping connection in mind as well is to balance the weapons with both connection and effect in mind.

in other words a ranger has only hitscan weapons (not talking gernades here) rifle,pistol shock lance, he has no high ping weaponto be effective he mucyt have a deccent ping.....all the other classes have high ping weapons rockets shot guns assault riflesguns that spray firepower...so in a close fight say when a ranger nabs a arti it is very unbalanced...out in the open a headshot does not produce a killunless done twice...if you hit someone once and they stand there they are stupid any movement and it is hard to hit them again from long range with high ping(as compared to low ping)...anyway i think it would help to balance the game as long as connection is taken into consideration as well as weapon effect.

also make the servers only allow so many spots of each class so if you had 4 rangers then no one else could join as ranger it would make other people play as different classes,like gunners are hard to get etc .

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
What if you want gunner to be defense at a energy gen or at a deploy point? Is it fair to say that because the energy source and deploy is out in the open that the gunner can be a sitting duck?

As much as I agree the open range is a playground for ranger, but really, there needs to be a way for a gunner to make the ranger stop sniping him, or a way for the gunner to defend himself somewhat from a sniping attack from afar. Quite honestly, right now, if I am on sirocco or garden trying to defend energy, I have to hide behind it. I can't fight back, it's pretty useless, unless I concjump to the ranger who will prob snipe me out of the air anyways.

Give gunners gas weapon! :)

But on a serious note, I'm not saying that the gunner should be able to kill the ranger but at least fight back? Be able to shoot homing missiles that are faster and less easy to dodge? Hard to say what would make it more fair, but right now it's a ranger's paradise.

BTW, how many rangers sit around in a closed room fighting a gunner then getting the art?

Very few, in fact, a lot of times the ranger destroys a couple mines, hops through the node and then out of the room with the gunner saying OMF, a ghost stole the art. But seriously, rangers are grab and run, but unlike a gunner in the middle of the field, if you do decide to fight as a ranger, at least you can inflict some damage, pistol shots to sniping whereas as I stated above, gunner can't do anything in the open field against a ranger that's far off.

Skipr

Apr 1, 2004
Yeah Phatty! Power to the Gunners of XMP, the rare few who play them!

I think that person got mad cause we can actually move and chase people like every other class can.

We arent rocks that just sit in 1 place all day, we do like to move around and kill people all over the battlefield :p

At least its easy to dodge snipers 1 on 1. Most of em shoot without waiting a sec or 2 between shots and do it 1, 2, 3. Easy to time them and when to dodge. Oops, did I just give away a secret?

[[Vash]]

.:Player:.
Feb 16, 2004
Florida
www.nobullclan.org
\/\/0RF said:
(hint: teamwork)

040227-word.jpg

:cheers:

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
\/\/0RF said:
Not every class is meant to be useful against every other class in every situation.

(hint: teamwork)

I played you a ton in the original i would like to hear your views on who (which class) should do what..in other words who should go for arti who should defend what you think is a good setup...(hint teamwork)

[_X_]CaptInsano

Sep 14, 2004
Houston. Tx
Magwa said:
Not a flame but you have no idea what you are talking about ,To get a shotgun to shoot Buckshot a 1/2 mile you would half to be on a cliff and fire it at the moon so both ways up and down counted. 00buck will when shot on the level say from the hip in a open field will be on the ground bouncing in less than 200 yards...a 1/2 mile is 440 yards.
Yeah, I guess your right; 1/2 mile is pretty far for buckshot, more like 100yds. Just a little exaggeration there.... LOL! :eek:
My point was about the limited range the Tech currently has, and how people seem to think the Tech is still too powerful.
I have always believed that there is excellent balance in XMP and I hope it carries over to UTXMP.

BTW... Good point about the lag. That's the main reason I don't play ranger. :mad:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Magwa said:
I played you a ton in the original i would like to hear your views on who (which class) should do what..in other words who should go for arti who should defend what you think is a good setup...(hint teamwork)
Mag - I would suggest looking in the first post of this thread. You know: the one I wrote when I started it.