UTXMP FAQ

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dragon_X

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 1, 2003
Uziel said:
Let me guess..... You like to play as the Ranger? Just a shot in the dark here.

Why don't we make it so the Ranger can't snipe the enemy from 3/4 across the map, without being able to be fired back at, accept by another Ranger? The Ranger is also a bit too fast. can we slow it down a bit? It's just not fair.

Better yet, can we leave the weapon balance as it is? Wasn't this topic discussed ages ago, over on the Atari forums?

are you insane? seriously, if the ranger didnt have its speed it would be DEAD low shield, the long range is fair because its harder to hit further :-\ im guessing you really havnt given ranger a try,

Mango

May 24, 2004
www.gamersdungeon.de
Dragon_X said:
are you insane? seriously, if the ranger didnt have its speed it would be DEAD low shield, the long range is fair because its harder to hit further :-\ im guessing you really havnt given ranger a try,
Given the fact, that the mod has not really been changed since it was released, the balance is incredible! Really, I've played so many inbalanced (unbalanced? :lol:) games, that I only can say: XMP is as balanced as it can be. Sure, good Rangers are annoying, but good Gunners and Techs, too. So, from my point of view, there is no need to change anything dramatically.

Dragon_X

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 1, 2003
Ya i love the balance with all the classes, but i still think the gunner should get a scan wep :p

Last edited:

Uziel

Aug 20, 2004
Dragon_X said:
:lol:
Dragon, it’s called sarcasm :D. I guess the fact that I was responding to someone else’s post (hence the quote), got lost somewhere. Or the fact that the last 2 lines of my post basically say, “please do not change the weapon balance”.

The fact that Zak wanted to nerf a couple parts of the Tech & Gunner, but nothing of the Ranger, leads me to believe he likes to play as the Ranger.

Just to answer your question, I mostly play with the Ranger & Tech. While I don’t like the Gunner being able to lock onto me with his rox, nor the duration of the alt fire flame-thrower (what Zak had mentioned), I really don't have a problem with it. No one should be standing around long enough to get locked onto anyway. You hear it locking on, you start moving....

Just to be clear, I don’t want anything changed as far as weapon balance. I’ve always thought they did a great job with that from the very beginning.

And by the way, great job so far everyone. :tup: It really looks fantastic. Thanks for all your time & hard work! :cheers: :notworthy:

Zaknafein

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
The fact that Zak wanted to nerf a couple parts of the Tech & Gunner, but nothing of the Ranger, leads me to believe he likes to play as the Ranger.

I play gunner (did you even look at my icon and sig?) and tech and I think I play ranger once a month for the heck of it.

The shotgun is out of control on the pubs as is gas grenades. The problem with the shotgun is two fold ... 1) The range is insane. I have actually sniped people with my shotgun where I should of been forced to switch to the machinegun. 2) The alt-fire can one shot gunners ... which is ridiculous considering how easy a target gunner are in comparison to other classes.

Gas Grenades cover way too much area and last too long for the gi-hugic amounts of damage they do ... esp considering that they completely bypass shields and thus affect the supposedly rugged (but SLOW) gunners just as badly as techs/rangers.

Everything else you were way off on.

I mentioned lockon rockets because they are TO HARD to lock onto a target for how easy they are for that target to avoid. Against skilled players, lock on rockets are a joke.

I mentioned the duration of the alt-fire Flamethrower because it doesn't last long enough for practical use. A Gunner should be allowed to put down X units of the alt fire and it should last until touched by a player (enemy or friendly). Placing more units down when you are at your limit will destroy already placed units in the order that you placed them.

I didn't mention ranger because I don't know much about the class from lack of playing it. I don't like to talk about issues that I don't fully understand.

Any long time players knows exactly where I am coming from, especially since most of these issues were brought up by the beta team before release, but never had a chance to be addressed due to schedule / legend being canned.

Last edited:

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
well for ranger
i would reduce pistol i have been hit from rediculous ranges
lock ons used correctly can be deadly what i dont like is the fact that are slower then raptors so u cant blow up a load of escaping arti carriers

Zaknafein

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 2, 2003
Visit site
lock ons used correctly can be deadly what i dont like is the fact that are slower then raptors so u cant blow up a load of escaping arti carriers

I have actually held the crosshair over a target long enough to bring up a name and the damn things refuse to lock on. It should be much easier to lock onto a target. The speed could also be increased ... I jsut have a feeling that when you lauch a full volley a target should have to decide to either shoot and seriously risk death, or flee. Not ignore them till they get close ... do a quick side jump ... and go back to killing the slow fat target who is quickly running out of jump juice and endurance avoiding your shots.

Reeps

Severe thumbs up (y)
Sep 2, 2003
WI
Visit site
Mango said:
Will there be any tool, script or at least a small guide for converting maps to UTXMP?

Background: I made two of the German Forum Pack maps and although my time is really limited, I would like to convert some of these maps asap!
Hey cool, as of now, the way to port maps is just done by exporting a terrain map, exporting terrain layers (for textures) and then copy over all the static meshs+bsp+lighting. It's a bit tricky and time consuming when you start, but after that it gets easy. I'll try to bug air and ask him to write up a detailed description how he ports them. :)

trogetta

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Zaknafein said:
I have actually held the crosshair over a target long enough to bring up a name and the damn things refuse to lock on. It should be much easier to lock onto a target. The speed could also be increased ... I jsut have a feeling that when you lauch a full volley a target should have to decide to either shoot and seriously risk death, or flee. Not ignore them till they get close ... do a quick side jump ... and go back to killing the slow fat target who is quickly running out of jump juice and endurance avoiding your shots.

Hmm, I havne't played XMP in a while, but I remember having the same problem with lockons..they way I got around it, was you hold the button (obviously) and scan across the target...so that you go on him, then off, then on, then off, then etc...

That seemed to produce a lock..I guess sometimes it'd forget to reset that you can get a lock or something....but oh well

Air7725

Urusai
Sep 10, 2003
England
www.free-monkey.com
you can copy bsp and meshes but you need to config your ini files and have the static meshes and textures to paste them in to ut2k4

you can copy lights but they need to be droped in brightness by about 50% to 60%

Zoneinfos sometimes work and sometimes dont :p

Uziel

Aug 20, 2004
Zaknafein said:
Everything else you were way off on.
Okay, so I guessed wrong :). Maybe you should have explained why you were calling those things a bug. How is anyone to know some things on your bug list need to be cut back & others need to be improved?

The only one I never played extensively was the Gunner, and that was only because it was too slow (for my style of play). As others & I have already said, I never had a problem with the weapon balance.

Last edited:

`rK

Jul 10, 2004
Hey do i need to buy ut2k4 to play utxmp or do i just need my curent u2 disks???

`rK

Jul 10, 2004
man im stupid i should read before reply lol so dont no one answer my q :p

`rK

Jul 10, 2004
when you say weapon buggs will be fixed what kind of bugs? and will we stuff see that stupid red/blue line when you shoot from the sniper rifle? i sugest that you take that away so that the sniper doesnt have to move every time he shoots and put some good pit holes for sniping :) or the option for snipers to create some pit holes so that he wont be detected as easily also instead of the blue/red line when sniper shoots implement on the character getting shot some type of image that shows from where the bullet came without the actual line if posible

`rK

Jul 10, 2004
naw i dont miss its just that in xmp it usualy takes two hits to kill a gunner with full health even if its headshot well there was a glitch with head shots but that burry thingy sounds cool lol their just sugestions im not saying to seriously use it

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
it takes 2 rocket headshots to kill a tech
and in real life a rocket to the head would blow it off
assault rifle alt fire can do some damage 1 headsot on ranger = dead ranger