1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 Servers down worldwide?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Latent Image, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numb51

Numb51 New Member

Speak of the devil?

2. [PSI]Snow White

[PSI]Snow White New Member

[​IMG]

3. WolfStar

WolfStar New Member

Your first post is supporting a "fix" made by the same person who released the exploit code? Yeah, it may "work," for now, but have you broken it down, code line by code line, until you truly know what the "fix" does?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. TheSynGame

TheSynGame New Member

5. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

.... by a butchy transsexual named Clara who likes to emasculate men via buttrape.

6. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

You mean pre-op tranny, I take it? D:

7. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

It's highly suspect at any rate, hell, even if this "patch" does turn out to be harmless, the motivations behind it are far from honerable..

8. ~DH-CrackeR~

~DH-CrackeR~ Proud Leader of Deaths Head

HAHA I know this guy, and I have known about his stuff since the first unreal. He was making stuff to bring down servers LONG ago shame he hasn't repented and turned from his wicked ways.

9. HudsonC

HudsonC New Member

Well now the Server browser isn't working. My server is up and all 4 instance are going and you can get into them via the open command.
    Update it seems the Server Browser is working at this time. But it has been blank then comes back

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  10. Akira Kurosawa

Akira Kurosawa New Member

Sometimes that's what it takes. It's only a game anyways.
    *applauds the release of the exploit.*

Exploits shouldn't be hidden or ignored. If they are know then they should be fixed. While it's impossible to make something unexploitable, they can still greatly increase the security and stability. If people are attacking the servers, and an epic admin made a comment that it's being worked on. Then it's initial and possibly unintentional goal is achieved.

11. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

You are an idiot.

12. Akira Kurosawa

No need to get riled, just my opinion.

13. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

No, it would be perfectly fine if he had just made us aware of the exploit (but kept the details secret), and contacted Epic about the technical details of it so they could fix it, but releasing the code for this exploit so every script kiddie out there could start using it emediately is not cool.

14. fuegerstef

fuegerstef New Member

It wasn't him. Get a clue what you are talking about. Not that I think it is right to make the exploit public, but HE did not crash the server. Or did you do some research after your server got crashed ???

15. Akira Kurosawa

It was reckless sure. But it's best to get it out of the way while the engine is still in prime use. It's gotten epics attention is whats good.

16. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

He's not interested. He used to work for a security company, but he either left or got fired.

You get Epic's attention by simply notifying them about the security issue. Epic learned their lesson concerning thing over 5 years ago.

17. Akira Kurosawa

Wouldn't know anything about that, what happened?

18. PushPull99

PushPull99 New Member

This part truely sucks, especially since there still are people being recruited to ut2004 (after the big UT3 disappointment). As long as they have paying customers they should care. They sit on deep-down knownledge of their own code, and releasing minor patches on major problems like this would take up very little of their time.

..and this part sucks even more. Yeah, great he's discovering the actual problems - in general. But then again, the community would most likely not suffer from the problem in the first place, if this genious didn't post them publicly. Give someone a chance to correct the problem (i.e. some of the die-hards who have contributed to the community over the years, if Epic doesn't care), then he can go ahead and brag all he wants about his discoveries.

19. In73gr4L

In73gr4L New Member

I agree with your statement about "Akira-I-think-I'm-a-hardcore-anime-character". I mean the little pip squeak pushes the point about fixing exploits on the premise that rectifying those holes in the game will enable people to have fun playing the game. Yet he encourages exploits actually being used to bring down game servers, which is the thing that actually prevents people from playing the game in the first place. But what can you expect from a try hard anime nerd who think's he's Japanese simply because he has 'Akira' attached to his display name rofl.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  20. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Epic received a notification about similar bugs in the engine (from the same Luigi) and due to various circumstances(1) the issues were not addressed within a reasonable time frame (a couple of months iirc, anyway, a patch was released in the mean while, but didn't fix the reported issues). So... Luigi though the report was ignored (which is sort of true) and made the report public (but without a proof of concept program). Some server admins got a hold of this and notified Epic about their concern. Epic responded and was quickly working on a fix, although before the fix was released someone already figured out how to bring down servers using the information from Luigi's report. But the attack didn't last long because the Epic's fix was ready and released. So... instead of fixing the reported issue within a week it took 3 months and a week.

(1) the reported issues were not given a high priority, the person that was put in charge to address the issues went on a small vacation (or at least, was away for a little while), when he got back he simply forgot about it.

Or at least, something like that. Epic ****ed up the security bug report (like many other software vendors do the first time). Back then Luigi worked like most security researchers do: give the vendor heads up and time to fix it before making the information public.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.