UT3 Servers down worldwide?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The same guy that released exploit code for an expoit a month ago or so just released a bunch more code exploits (that work in just about all multiplayer games ever created) all over the web. So an attacker can take down hundreds of servers without even blinking. Really annoying.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Yep, UT2004 (I know this is the UT3 section) Servers are going up and down like mad too.

EDIT:
It seems a ban won't work. His IP can be found in the logs though. So enough letters to the corresponding ISPs might help.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If they are executing hacks, the host will usually take care of them. The same IP is executing the attacks on every serv er, so you could technically just block that one IP.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
The same guy that released exploit code for an expoit a month ago or so just released a bunch more code exploits (that work in just about all multiplayer games ever created) all over the web. So an attacker can take down hundreds of servers without even blinking. Really annoying.

so much for that guy being a security researcher, because I doubt he notified Epic of his findings before disclosing the problems (and releasing PoCs). A bunch of years ago the same guy at least notified Epic of some bugs, and disclosed the bugs to the public a few months after he notified Epic.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So much for that indeed. The last two serious security threats for UT3 have been made public. :mad:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Luigi.jpg

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Wait, what? Color me unaware. D:

I see CoD4 still has 10000+ US players right now whilst UT3 only has 81. That's sad even by UT3 standards. So is he attacking all games or just Unreal?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
He doesn't actually "attack" games. He "only" discovers critical bugs, posting detailed descriptions and proof-of-concept exploits publicly without notifying the affected games' developers.

Basically he's like a cheat codes, claiming to do it for "research" and publishing his findings. The only difference is, he doesn't take any money for it and doesn't keep it as secret as the usual cheaters. And he probably doesn't actively use the exploits himself. Then again, he really doesn't have to, some script kiddies already take care of it.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Someone else has taken his proof of concept and is attacking servers listed on the UT3 and UT2004 master server lists.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
ohh well, it could be worse you know, GameSpy could have gone down again, and then there'd be zero servers and you coulden't even play offline! :lol:

Revord

Jun 20, 2008
As far as the IP is concerned, if he is smart, hes using a proxy, so blocking his ip, and/or ip range isnt going to be an efficient way of dealing with the problem. Epic just needs to clean their crap up to make it work right BEFORE shipping the game. In the time I have been playing UT (since ut99) this is probably one of the sloppiest, and most unprofessionally released title from them that I am aware of. There may be others from epic, but Im unaware of it. Kind of discouraging tbh. As a sidenote: UT3 is $19.99 at best-buy now. Epic failure :stick:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm glad you have strong opinions about UT3, however this issue effect the majority of all Unreal Engine games as well as a plethora of other game engines. Sorry, but this has nothing to do with Epic not "cleaning up their crap".

Status
Not open for further replies.