Unreal Turns 11

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MSuomi

Mar 4, 2009
yeah, my buddy watched me play it for days and didn't like it either.
He thought Half-Life was nothing special either.

Then I thought, you know there's nothing really special about you either, but at least this game gives me a good time.

Ah well, he liked to Q3A at least... on the DREAMCAST, lol.
(which was badass and all, don't get me wrong)

Half-Life was a really important game to me. That one I have played through many, many times...

How can you say anything about me, as you know nothing of me;)

Q3A I don't like, but UT-series I do like. I'm not here to judge people about their preferences, I just told my own opinion. Everyone can have their opinion, at least that's what I think...

Quaglax

May the funk be with you...
Apr 25, 2006
ATL
Man that game looked like the biggest pile of **** I have ever seen in my life. So glad I was playing HL back then and not Unreal. I cant believe what we have today came from that.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Just out of curiosity, how far did you make it into the game ?

I lost interest when I exited the crashed spaceship. :) But that was around 2006 or so, when I found an old copy of Unreal, and out of sheer boredom installed it on an aging, overheating second hand laptop.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
I lost interest when I exited the crashed spaceship. :) But that was around 2006 or so, when I found an old copy of Unreal, and out of sheer boredom installed it on an aging, overheating second hand laptop.

same the next level was like , well to much like a maze way to many ways to go.

ended up skipping the level

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Turd, Nyleve was not a maze. It was an extremely linear open area.

Man that game looked like the biggest pile of **** I have ever seen in my life. So glad I was playing HL back then and not Unreal. I cant believe what we have today came from that.

:)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Nah, he means rrajigar mine etc.
Granted, there are many ehhh "hallways" in those mine levels. And they can be annoying, at times. I grew tired of them quite quickly. The opening maps of unreal aren't that spectacular, tbh. Aside from vortex and Nyleve.

Half life is also one of my all time favourites. Huge single player campaign. I remember how anxious I got during the "blast pit" chapter. That was real adrenaline pumping.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I remember seeing the box on the shelf at my local game shop and thinking it looked like a pretty cool game... didn't have no movie trailers on 56k dialup modem back then. Don't even know if I had dialup yet back then in fact!

Botmatch was what made Unreal for me -- first time I could play deathmatch without lag and the bots were pretty good opponents.

Brings back memories...

And I finished the game too :D

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
I played Unreal several times. Never managed to complete it, but it always tuns out to be abasloutely amaznig. No other game has its atmosphere. Actually "unreal atmosphere" became fixed phrase.

As to the trailer, it's funny to remind how Deck looked eleven years ago :D A set of grey boxes, but I love it since then.

Aside from vortex and Nyleve.
Sunspire, fools, Sunspire! Would love to see it again, as a CTF map for example.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
More of a MP dude, perhaps.

Yeah, I'm more a 'carnage, carnage, carnage', 'zero time to spectacle' kind of guy. Might have been different if I'd tried it in '98; had a bit more patience back then.

Then the kickass Dasa Cellars map is for you. Best Krall carnage ever + tons of gibs.
Especially if it's done in OldSkool UT with decals turned on.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I played Unreal several times. Never managed to complete it, but it always tuns out to be abasloutely amaznig. No other game has its atmosphere. Actually "unreal atmosphere" became fixed phrase.

As to the trailer, it's funny to remind how Deck looked eleven years ago :D A set of grey boxes, but I love it since then.

Sunspire, fools, Sunspire! Would love to see it again, as a CTF map for example.

That Deck16 is not the final one, it is the beta one...the beta one was different and more "open area".

That trailer is not from final version but from some release candidate of the game, even nyleve looks a bit different.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
And it's my birthday too! :) :D Such an honor to share it with the Unreal release!

'Amazing graphics' may look different today but the atmosphere is still one of the best I've ever experienced in a game. The first time you set foot on the planet's surface and see the sky and everything... I simply love it \o/
That was quite possibly the single coolest moment in gaming history for me....then the music hit and I about....umm..lost it. ;)

Finished the game on hard and unreal probably a half a dozen times or so.

I vaguely remember that video but I still have the PC Gamer Unreal preview issue with the castle and the moat in it back from the 96 issue (I think that was the year). :D
I still have that too!!!!

So glad you came in here to post that. More to the point: So glad you rated a game based off of a YOUTUBE VIDEO.

Context?

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008

You see, this is why most modern gamers are idiots/trolls, and I'm not saying that because I love Unreal. You can give them a genuinely good game made in the 1990s (Like Perfect Dark) and they'll say it sucks because of the graphics and then run off to play Halo 3.

EDIT: Actually, I realize that you were just trolling, so I probably should have just not responded to your post. Oh well.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I have never played Unreal or Half-Life, yet. I have played almost every Unreal map converted into MonsterHunt or for the Oldskool mod and I have a really good time enjoying their design though.

I'm more of a players against players type of player but I do play singleplayer games and mods sometimes. If I was to play Unreal or Half-Life it might just be once to check em out and see what all the fuzz is all about the games.

It is extrange to know that UT came from Unreal and C-S came from Half-Life as both of those games are my favorites. As for Q3a, I really like the graphics of that game but I have never played it online since the weapons are so poor even though it was the first fps PC Game I tried.

Happy 11th Unreal related players.