Unreal Tournament 3 (PC) 4-Player Splitscreen

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
One of the big draws for the Xbox 360 version of Unreal Tournament 3 is the ability to play splitscreen with two players. The guys over at PC Splitscreen have pointed out (courtesy of HideInLight) a way to have up to four player splitscreen action on the PC with little more effort than altering your UTInput.ini.

Naturally, this isn't going to work so well on your old 17" CRT, so you'll have to hook up the heavyweight hardware... and you'll have to cough up some controllers. Nevertheless, it's nice to know it's possible. (thanks BlackFish)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
This is neat indeed, Im wondering if we can get multiple screens going. Perhaps using this in windowed mode will work that way but it would be kewl to have 2 separate fullscreens going on one PC. Shame about the whole gamepad thing as well but hey, its certainly a solid start :cool:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Anyone knows how to get this working with PS3 controllers?
I have the drivers and can make them work with other games but UT3 is stubborn and doesn't allow me to set the keys correctly :( It would be very cool if someone can help me out, that way I could play UT3 with friends who come over :)

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I don't understand the point of this at all and it is really funny that no one has said anything about the absurdity of this. PC gamers have been talking crap about gamepad controllers forever it seems like and how FPS games are superior on the PC because of the awesome keyboard and mouse use ... and PC gamers would always say they would never play a game with a controller. Now this comes out and its like NOT ONE PC person recalls saying such stupid things. Nope now its lets have a party on a PC using only gamepads. How this makes any sense I don't know. But if the point is to just be able to say "see it can be done" then yeah great congrats.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
To me, the stupidity of this is how simple and integrated this feature is on the PC. Have we not been saying this whole time that UT3's UI and pretty much everything except its gameplay was just ported from the console version? Of course it was, and here is a little remaining hint of that.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
To me, the stupidity of this is how simple and integrated this feature is on the PC. Have we not been saying this whole time that UT3's UI and pretty much everything except its gameplay was just ported from the console version? Of course it was, and here is a little remaining hint of that.

Are you implying that a supported splitscreen feature is a bad thing?

heyqule

Apr 22, 2006
I smell smokes from PS3 camp... even PC has splitscreen lol.....

Last edited:

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
I don't understand the point of this at all and it is really funny that no one has said anything about the absurdity of this. PC gamers have been talking crap about gamepad controllers forever it seems like and how FPS games are superior on the PC because of the awesome keyboard and mouse use ... and PC gamers would always say they would never play a game with a controller. Now this comes out and its like NOT ONE PC person recalls saying such stupid things. Nope now its lets have a party on a PC using only gamepads. How this makes any sense I don't know. But if the point is to just be able to say "see it can be done" then yeah great congrats.
Imagine someone who (a) has friends; (b) has a well-powered PC with UT3; (c) does not have a 360; (d) wants to play UT3 with those friends all in one place; (e) does not want to shell out an extra $300 + $60 for an XBox + UT3 just for that event.

If this scenario exists, then somewhere this how-to has helped someone, it is therefore not absurd, and does make sense. Anyone should be able to understand that.

Sir_Squiggles

Knight of the Wound Table.
Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
I have a 360! Ahem. But I have UT3 for the PC. If I buy more controllers that work with the PC, they work with the 360 too, right? Sorry for the dumb question. It's just that I don't see how the controller I have would work on a PC, so I'm guessing there are two different types.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
If this scenario exists, then somewhere this how-to has helped someone, it is therefore not absurd, and does make sense. Anyone should be able to understand that.

I can see you missed the entire point of my post. Not that it matters ... I can see maybe some practical use for people who have 40" plus PC compatible HDTV capable of at least 720p but the irony of the input support makes me laugh at the very notion of this idea. But if you have to you have to I guess.

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Hey, I have played splitscreen mostly fine on small televisions ya know! Back in the days of Timesplitters 2... Ah memories. Splitscreen on my 19" monitor sounds very appealing.

BlackFish

ginger synther hipster
May 9, 2004
19 inch 2 player splitscreen works just fine for me IMO. I honestly wouldnt mind doing 4 way splitscreen if I had the chance.

Squiggles: The x360 controller is a windows peripheral too you know. Just plug in the USB. The wireless ones require a reciever for windows (hence the x360 controllers for windows you can buy anywhere).

Me? I prefer using Logitech Gamepads. They have the same input functions as the x360 controllers and they're half the price for people who don't own a 360.

And Anuban: go play Serious Sam splitscreen.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I can see you missed the entire point of my post. Not that it matters ... I can see maybe some practical use for people who have 40" plus PC compatible HDTV capable of at least 720p but the irony of the input support makes me laugh at the very notion of this idea. But if you have to you have to I guess.
Stop being a bitter console person.

There is no irony here. People would prefer kb/m if it was possible, but many will take controllers. Plus, in Instant Action, the stakes aren't as high and you'll be gaming with your buddies, so who cares.

Sir_Squiggles

Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Thank you BlackFish ^_^
I have a wireless controller for my 360, so if I went that way I'd need the reciever (how much is it?)

The logitech thing sounds cool it's just that I was thinking of picking up more 360 controllers anyway...for my 360. UT3 on PC splitscreen would be an added bonus. One reciever would support multiple pads, amirite?