Unreal 95 / 97 Alpha Research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Khantestmap.rar
That is a test map I made for the demo, just to showcase some stuff, the khan2 map has you playing as a brute lol, use behindview to view that if you got the demo.

Also there is other map for the Unreal 95 tech demo which was found in the original distribution, it as unreal.unr i renamed it though and included batchfile, you can put it in the maps directory, the map and the batch file into the main root dir.
Unre.rar

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Also there is other map for the Unreal 95 tech demo which was found in the original distribution, it as unreal.unr i renamed it though and included batchfile, you can put it in the maps directory, the map and the batch file into the main root dir.
Unre.rar

BTW, that map is very, very likely to be the level shown on the very first Unreal screenshot ever released. The lighting is different, and it's much bigger than the one in the screenshot, but it does have a room that is almost identical to the one in that image.

Here's the proof:

Screenshot I took:
8Hwsv.png

The first picture:
promopic.jpg

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3PT1_JSous[/M]

This was in the videos archive too, but with really really low res, it was real media video, .rm format.
It looks ****tier though in the youtube screen.

It shows skaarj shuttle lifting and flying at about 0:52. However it is hardly seen in that....the way it all went pixelizated, it was piyelizated by default but not this much.

EDIT: Btw as for playing as pawns, you can play as any creature there if you specify it in the playerstart. Cow is really fast lol. and hawk jumps really high. Dragon makes you stuck though. ANd melee of monsters can damage you only if you are jumping for some reason btw.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s4KujrHvpg[/M]

Lol, skaarj rape, the quality of the video went down, and it got too dark too in the video. You can still up the brightness by F10 in game though.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It appears I managed to save the mesh into .UMX file, at least it seems so. But not export yet from that. Hmm no it seems it fialed, although the file is big and not blank...it just saved the property it seems, but not atcual model.

EDIT:
Some stuff I managed to save/export:
This one might be corrupted, I am still working on getting that:
Dragon.rar

The class files:
Udragon.rar

More proper Unreal ucx, this time not by a hack but by resaving the actor classes:
Unrealucx.rar

EDIT2: The model is saved here:
Dragon.UM
It is not export, just saved to a package using MESHMAP SAVE. But maybe this will be easier to export, if anyone can.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I think it's safe to say I can't export this, and I went through about all the hidden commands there are, but it still crashes and there is no MESH EXPORT unlike MESH IMPORT. Unless someone updates things like utpt or unreal model viewer, for the ucx files and stuff.

Btw you can turn off the meshcurvy stuff rendering in mesh viewer, just close mesh viewer, go to class browser, look at class view (it's a pawn and basically beta camera), go to properties, display and set bmeshcurvy false. Then open Mesh viewer again and all the meshes don't have the meshcurvy set.

EDIT: So meshes which have anims in this beta are (even if pawns don't use these anims or all of them or have no script as they are placeholders in the demo):
Woman, Titan (he has a bug that his plates are seen only from one side btw), Tentacle, Skaarj, Manta, Krall, Gasbag, Dragon, BigMan

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
I think it's safe to say I can't export this, and I went through about all the hidden commands there are, but it still crashes and there is no MESH EXPORT unlike MESH IMPORT. Unless someone updates things like utpt or unreal model viewer, for the ucx files and stuff.

Btw you can turn off the meshcurvy stuff rendering in mesh viewer, just close mesh viewer, go to class browser, look at class view (it's a pawn and basically beta camera), go to properties, display and set bmeshcurvy false. Then open Mesh viewer again and all the meshes don't have the meshcurvy set.

EDIT: So meshes which have anims in this beta are (even if pawns don't use these anims or all of them or have no script as they are placeholders in the demo):
Woman, Titan (he has a bug that his plates are seen only from one side btw), Tentacle, Skaarj, Manta, Krall, Gasbag, Dragon, BigMan

You could've said "All of them except the Firefly and Devilfish (which don't even have a proper model)" and made it a bit easier for yourself. :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I thought all them had at least the "Still" animation. o_O

Yeah but I meant the proper anims. And firefly has a mesh, it is that tiny little thing.

Anyway if someone can give that guy who made umodel download links, please do so, he may need the exe and dll files too for the job, although the stuff is in the ucx.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I might have almost cracked it (but not sure), through hex editing, the problem is I don't have a good program to do that, Gizzy might be able to do it, but I must give him details of what to do. Then it may be finally possible to export the meshes through commands.

Btw
MACRO SAVE NAME=Dragon FILE=Dragon.mac Saves the uscript part of dragon only.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Since the format of the images within archives Leo received varies, I decided to port all the non-JPG ones to JPG format and upload to one of the image hosting servers.

Here is the complete gallery:

Unreal (1995)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The skycity map is not a dm one (just refereing to what was said in USP) I would say and it is not sky11 or sky12 for sure. I would say it is one of Eric Reuter's Skycity maps from Unreal. I will ask him if he recognizes it.

Diehard

Today i found also something interesting:

Now there are two Strategy Guides:
- Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Unreal Official Strategy Guide

And now i found this today:

GT Interactive Software, 1997 - 144 pages
This title offers gamers the ability to create their own UNREAL games, by giving them the tools not only to build the levels themselves, but also the creatures and other necessities to succeed. Players will learn how to manufacture weapons and use the story line to develop characters.

The interesting part is, that it was published well before the actual release from Unreal. If the book also contains screenshots, than its likelly to have screenshots from an early editor version as well as beta stuff from Unreal itself.

Because the name of the book is almost similar to the "Unreal Official Strategy Guide" its difficult to find. For starters i cant find any cover, and if, they point to the "Unreal Official Strategy Guide".

I might have found oné copy, and its expensive to get, nor am i really sure if that company has it. But if they have it, ill try get it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yeah, it is interesting. I knew they were different though, I thought you knew about the difference, I should have told you I guess.

Btw I spoke to Gildor, the guy who did the umodel program. He refused to help us so far, I am trying to convince him but he has no interest in writing another program specifially for the 97 beta demo. He has the skills to do it though, but the word is he doesn't want to do it. We will never see the proper Dragon ingame it seems. I mean this one has few missing anims but they could be added easily, at least we would have the proper model for once, but no. :(

He even wondered why I am taking that much attention to it because he thinks the graphics are much better in final Unreal or something like that.

But by not helping us he has certainly disapointed many right now. Not sure if there is someone else capable of doing it.

Why it must be that when there's someone who has this only thing or is only one to help, that he always pulls some strings when you need the stuff most. I am really deeply disapointed right now.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Because the name of the book is almost similar to the "Unreal Official Strategy Guide" its difficult to find. For starters i cant find any cover, and if, they point to the "Unreal Official Strategy Guide".

I might have found oné copy, and its expensive to get, nor am i really sure if that company has it. But if they have it, ill try get it.
Do you know ISBN for that one?

Last edited:

simplething

May 13, 2011
Can you upload meshes, too? Because beta Brute, bigman skin is completely misaligned to real one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.