Unreal 95 / 97 Alpha Research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Looks like CliffyB's Foundry map, what version will this run on?
This map was originally in the big february 98 beta, though it didnt run on it by default. First conversion was made by argh though it lacked some package references etc but it ran under it. I made a conversion of that with the dm pack somewhere in 2006.
It is basically older version of the foundry map that was normally in that beta, however this one was leftover from earlier version. Somewhere between 2006/2007 I think I tried to get the original map to run and found out that genout was genfluid/genterra like package originally so i merged the two together and imported back some sounds to unreali.u so the map would run etc, though it still had to be rebuilt so it wouildnt crash.
Masterkent with his beta fix made another version but upon importing didn't notice that one of the textures got there from playrshp by accident.
Then with the version 88 recovery, I found out that Found98.unr original version runs just fine under version 88 (november 1997), though the map itself was probably not saved under it but a version pretty close to it. Hence it doesn't even need a rebuilt, though the texturepackages and sound packages had to be recreated.
Afterwards I also created a much more accurate conversion of this map for regular Unreal, which you can find in this thread here earlier and a coop version of the same thing.
Now Bryan converted this map to an older version of Unreal, to the september 1997 version, so this is basically the first back-port of the map, however that version is much more stable than build 88 though it uses the saving resources to map by default instead of the package system since version 1 proper (which 88 is part of such chain already and uses *.u files as system files)..

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Here's a review/overview of Bryan's conversion:

Since this is a backport, there's not much to complain here and it indeed seems like it was earlier version, so I guess it could count for authenticity.
There are several differences/bugs though. Few textures has been misapplied and lifts have defaulttextures, the chimneys are gone from outside area, two lifts are missing in the first blow up pipe area, theres a zone leak in the collapsing lava zone pipe area and in the area afterwards with the big box the buttons are missing to open the door and lots of stuff is missing from the multiple floor/lift area. Otherwise the map is perfectly fine and shows a real taste of foundry on 0.874d. Mind you, the glide works on this version just fine(with a wrapper if you don't have a voodoo card).
bryanconver.png

bryanconver1.png

bryanconver2.png

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I don't know why but it seems last time around I didn't extract the sounds from 867z for some reason though they are mostly the same like the 871d sounds.
Here it is now
867zsound.rar

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006

I've had a better video of this recorded but it was lost and on a host that doesn't exist anymore.

I've decided to re-record it and show this here.
Basically once the monster, manta in this case gets enough damage and fear induced, the monster goes into hiding, trying to get out of player's sight. This behavior is very interesting in contrast what came later and how unreal's ai been re-coded from scratch, but this shows that during the later '96 days in the already gti period, things weren't so bad at all and the monsters were fairly smart and the game had features that were unheard of before...

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I produced a fix for maps that cannot be run now:
Newbetafix.rar

For those that cannot run the beta with tlb error, use run as administrator when right clicking on it(the exe) or edit properties...

EDIT: Morbias can be run vanilla if you run it using Unreali.DeathMatchGame or any variant if you change it in your config file.
That means the playerstart is set to singleplayer false...

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
098skinss.rar

OH MY GOD! I mean..okay I attempted to manually extract the skins by commands one by one..then the solution came up with the new unrealed so I don't need to enter it by command each time in the log....
But OH MY GOD. The sprites in this. The amount of them, especially YOU SMOKEPUFF! Yes SMOKEPUFF I MEAN YOU!!!

In all the previous versions they were relatively little on sprites and isntead tried to do many effects with meshes like quake/quake2 did. But this?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA SPRITES EVERYWHERE!!! That's like CORONAS/LENSFLARES EVERYWHERE AKA MODERN TREK WHATEVER, but...oh god...
Okay I dare someone makes CORONAS EVERYWHERE map for Unreal, I DARE YOU. EVERY crappity smackING LIGHT THAT GETS PLACED GETS CORONAS, NO, EVEN BETTER, EVERY ACTOR GETS ADDITIONAL CORONA TOO!

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Found98for098

Found98 for this last beta. Found98link is with teleporter leading straight to Toxic as it should...

So when you get to end of nexus and get load screen just do open Found98link. It will keep your inventory...

Here is the old september 95 map for the late '95 version. I imported this way before, but the difference now is that i attempted to import the two extra textures too...though they got messed up pallete. Also the classes are there, but I can't figure out how to set them to display the meshes...Because I can import meshes into the 95 tech demo.

OLDUNREAL95.RAR

This is how OLDUNREAL.COM was back in '95 (FALSE ADVERTISEMENT)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
TestSurface95

This is an important file because it shows different surface effects applied/mixed in the '95 tech demo!

None of the maps made use of these, so behold...watch environment combined with "Wave" and transparency flags and so on...

EDIT:
Here is testspike for 0.864v, the may 1997 demo (I didn't do a rebuild of the map because i was under hurry, so there's no lighting as it is only if you rebuild)

TestSpik

As you can see they had a tentacle spike projectile mesh ready, but they never used it. They never used this one and only late 1997 when tentacle skin was switched did they make actual projectile. But they had this one ready but the old tentacleprojectile instead always imports the damn tarydiumprojectile mesh. There's no logic in that is there, since they obviously had this in the source tree and it would have worked just fine.

The Quadshot in the map is placed to test these altered projectiles that use the proper tentacle spike mesh with correct uv maps for this version of tentacle skin.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006

EDIT:
MESHTESTU95.rar

This here is a map made by yrex to show that meshes or meshsprites can be in fact rendered in unreal 95 after some hacking. I renamed the map to be more easily rememberable and I made MESHTESTE afteerwards with Woman mesh in it...

Last edited:
Reactions: xBRYAN2000x

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
MESHRESU95.rar

The rest of the "u95" meshes.....
As you can see this is pretty useless. The special surface flags won't display at all on pegasus/golem instead making the mesh or part of the mesh invisible in the editor mode...ingame it all gets wobbly though.
Really disapointment on this part. Next I'm gonna try to have the Unreal map changed in september demo and see how the pegasus really is supposed to display there...because I get the feeling it's supposed to display the backdrop/enviro stuff. Kinda like the schmalz editor displayed it more or less correct...

xBRYAN2000x

Betatester
Jul 2, 2013
Arkansas, USA
www.youtube.com
I happened to find a unseen screenshot on eBay while i was making a list.
aXOobQd.png

Showing a early revision of the BigMan (i call it the BugMan tho.)
Hopefully this one is a screenshot we never seen in a while.

It came from some Magazine Ad at this eBay link
SOURCE

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
A cool find from Bryan.
This screenshot is similar to the old gamespot one but bigger and from different angle. This map could have even been in the missing alpha leak for what we know.

But as for what I promised yeterday, here he is with a proper wing skin that was already included in the alpha:

PegaWings.png

PegaWings1.png

This crashes game too often and I had only one frame shot while posessin just like with the wizard(minus the jiggling thouh).

WING HORSE Teleport Speedy flight Defense, attack

This is however how it looked in the schmalz' DOS-only editor:

FHORSE

EDIT:
Some more characters:
minobig.png

MINOSMALL.png

Troll.png

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Anyone who has the 88 version I recommend trying this out:
un88decotest

Unfortunately the rockslide still doesn't fully work because they are deemed too big to fit (look at the log file).....even though i placed it up and even to the other room...at least it doesn't crash the damn game like in the later versions...

But this features decorations and in one map artifacts and altartrigger still working. You pickup one, deliver it to the altartrigger(the pathnode default display thing), it gets "registered", an event could be triggered and then you pickup the other artifact and do the same...

It also has bloblets and chameleon to try out...

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
To be honest, it's clear that the new beta is inconsistent in the dates. It obviously is a later version with more recent engine features than 88, despite the dates claiming something else.

While they reverted to some older content here, I'd say realistically this would follow from December 1997, given that screenshots from january 1998, while having the old automag still, Skaarj already fired their full projectiles and not using the impalerbolt mesh anymore.

This is how I can determine that this new build must be actually from december 1997 and something caused a shift in month in the game's files. probably the computer it was compiled on/ran on in the first place!

The tim's log further suggests this, in fact it seems to be really from third december 1997.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
DMRuins871d.rar

Those are DMRuins for 871d.

I tried to rebuild paths in other version, I tried to set gameinfo other than the default one but I failed to do so. Despite this onm default gameinfo all players respawn back at start...which is frustrating..

Oh and in your Bind.mac please change any bind on ActivateItem to Activate, like this:

replace Bind Enter "Server ActivateItem" with Bind Enter "Server Activate"

This will allow you to activate items...
EDIT:
Full video showing this map:
https://vid.me/0dWb
EDIT2
Video of possesed Titan:
https://vid.me/u3RU
EDIT3:
https://vid.me/F534
The original "EightBall" projectile compiled under 867z...more like a flare or something...
custom music added

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.