Sony just announced the price of the PS3 and its games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
My only take on price is when I bought my nintendo,it came with Mario Brothers.When I got my sega it came with Sonic The Hedgehog, Afer working on audio since 1978 my opinion of sony is they make junk just throw away crap stereos wich break in about 3years,Aiwa and jvc are also the most crappy things around too.

But in light of that ,sony was the first one to NOT give out a free game when you bought thier console wich I would never buy a "ps" anything because of that.
So if Xbox would give out a free game thats what I would buy, or nintendo, if they gave out 3 games for the Xbox on the lower end model they would clean house over sony.Even if 2 of the games were stupid games.

And at 500, 600 bucks I would rather invest in My PC or my car for that matter.

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Zaccix said:
Never underestimate Sony's marketing ability, and their ability to hype a product way beyond its capabilities.
OMG FF8!!!

ff8screen.jpg

... oh, wait...

ff8game.jpg

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
It's a lot of money..but we all know that Sony's marketing department know their stuff.

People WILL queue up to buy it, Sony WILL shift units by the bucketload..whether it's worth the price is irelevent. Something is worth what people will pay for it...and people will pay for this.

A mate of mine shelled out loads on an XBOX 360...but then realised he couldn't really appreciate it's graphics on his crappy TV, so had to shell out again for a TV that made the games look like they are supposed to.

I'll stick with my computer...unless games that I simply can't live without come to a console...then I might consider it. But right now all I'm interested in is UT2007 and Quake Wars, I'm upgrading my computer anyway, so there's no attraction in either console at the moment.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
Tellsell and all those other 'buy our crap'-channels still continue to do well, despite the fact that everyone with half a braincell ought to know its pure crap they're selling.
Likewise the common people will buy into Sony's (or MS's or Nintendo's) marketing regardless of what common sense ought to tell them by now.

Heck ... they voted for Bush / Blair / Hitler when there was more at stake than a few hundred dollars of cash.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Welcome back Tool

The prices live upto my estimation.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Instead of going :eek: over the price, do what im doing. Get the $499 version, throw away the 20gig hardrive and put in a monster hardrive. Problem solved :D

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
Cpt.Toilet.exe said:
Instead of going :eek: over the price, do what im doing. Get the $499 version, throw away the 20gig hardrive and put in a monster hardrive. Problem solved :D
What Sony doesn't want you to know is that the difference with the cheaper version isn't just a smaller harddisk, you'll be missing out on flashcards, WiFi, and no 1080p High Def. For $100 less, they'll nerf your PS3. And you still paid $500.

TomWithTheWeather said:
$499 version:

- only 20 gig HD
- no Memory Stick, SD, or Compact Flash support
- no built-in Wi-Fi
- no HDMI (which means no 1080p)

$599 version:

- All the stuff plus 60 gig HD

:shake:

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
TomWithTheWeather said:
What Sony doesn't want you to know is that the difference with the cheaper version isn't just a smaller harddisk, you'll be missing out on flashcards, WiFi, and no 1080p High Def. For $100 less, they'll nerf your PS3. And you still paid $500.

All they do when you look at pcboards youl see the same exact things as the best model.Then all they do is youl see places ware chips arn't solderd on but the solder pads are there.Youl also see holes cut for buttons wich they use a different faceplate with less holes and places on the boards ware switches could be soldered in.
And that nowdays it's accros the board weather it be washing machines or stereos or mother boards or tv's.You just pay for more chips and shuffle the plastic around.Or an added display or led's.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
So ?
There's no way you can get the missing chips and have the capability to add them for a mere $100. That 60Gb 2,5" SATA-drive (probably with custom-formatting like MS) is going to cost more than the price difference.

It's exactly like the 360. The 'cheap' version only exist so they can say there's a cheap option. In reality only the expensive 'premium' is required if you actually want to use the system.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Sony and Microsoft has lost their F****ing minding if they think that their prices are exceptable. $400 bucks for a X-BOX360 and $600 bucks for a PS3 Please. I say NEXT!

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Larkin said:
Sony and Microsoft has lost their F****ing minding if they think that their prices are exceptable. $400 bucks for a X-BOX360 and $600 bucks for a PS3 Please. I say NEXT!
The 360-release has proven that these prices are not only acceptable.
They could easily ask for more ... (e-bay was practically filled with people selling their 360 for $600+ ...)

pwnghetti & leetballs

Barnacle Blitzkrieg!
Jan 14, 2006
Long Island, NY
Larkin said:

Meanwhile to build a gaming PC capable of the same graphics and frame rates, you will need to spend well into the $2000 range.

It's not bad when you think of it that way. +MGS4 man, MGS4!!! That's worth the price alone.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why are you comparing it to a PC? Next year I'll spend $400 on upgrading and be half a million times better than the Xbox 360. Any upgrading I do after that won't matter because I already beat it outright. People that are spending $2,000 on PCs typically don't know that they are getting ripped off about as much as a person can be. I think anyone that has a PC from the last three years could spend $400-$500 upgrading right now and beat an Xbox 360 as well, aside from all the other things a PC can do besides gaming.

I'm sure the HDDVD addon for the 360 will be around 100$. So if you were to get that, plus the premium 360, that's what 500$? Plus you have to pay for Online play. Then you have to get the HD output cables (60-70$). So that just adds to the price.

PS3 is a HD DVD player out of the box (and sinlge blu-ray players are selling for over 1000$), plus you get FREE online play. The PS3 is also backwards compatible with DVD and PS2 games. Also, the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 upconverts normal DVDs to 1080i.

So yeah, it does cost alot. But considering what you are getting in the final product, I think it's fair. If you don't want to get a HD DVD player, then don't. Wait for one to come down in price in 5 years so that you can afford it.

Stupid? Maybe. But I am a techno geek guy. I love all this new technology. I spend a huge amount of my time watching tv and playing games on my 60" HDTV. It's worth it to me. I'll be first in line.