1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sneak Peek...

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by ecale3, Jan 22, 2004.

1. DarkBls

DarkBls Inf Ex-admin

I think we should stick with real used military weapon. Not pink fur enhanced m16 shortbarrel with integrated tv command

2. BobTheFearlessFish

BobTheFearlessFish New Member

drJ. just a few tips with rendering with brazil...

first off turn on the CSG plane. this will limit the GI to coming only from the upper hemisphere. and thus giving nice shadows.

you can also achieve some nice efffects by turning GI down a touch. to 0.6 or so. and then using some directional lights to give some mroe directed shadows to the model

3. Dr.J

Dr.J Staying Alive.

... im not even using brazil ;) this is a renderer for blender, yafray (stands for Yet Another Free RAYtracer) but anyway, we should get in touch and i should learn brazil bobthefearlessfish ;)

the M14 will get edited, ecale spent forever trying to get me to understand the reciever and charging handle assembly and this will be appropriately changed.

oh yeah bushwack, i use free software too :) its called blender . great software. the polygon modelling component and UV texturing is quite powerful in my opinion. i can model and set uv maps much quicker and with much more confidence than i can ever with max. but max does have its strong points as well so i just export and import between the two a bit ;) (attatched here is a screenshot of me working in blender)

actually, does anyone know if blender is the only modelling software that sports a polycount slider where you can set the desired number of polygons and the program approximates the shape then replots all the vertices? (this question mainly directed at bobthefearlessfish, since hes the pro around here :) )

Attached Files:

4. -Freshmeat

-Freshmeat Eternally noob

You are getting real close with the AK. Now if you just make the butt a little more slim I do not think I will bash you further. And the assault version of the m4 or whatever you show, Dr. J, seems quite interesting.

-Freshmeat

5. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

No. Black furniture only became available for the AK74 and beyond.

6. FieldMedic

FieldMedic Less good UT Player ever

It should be a great thing if someone that made the actual INF weapons could write a complete -public- tutorial on what to do exactly when you already have a 3D rifle/handgun/chicken... model made in a 3D program to have it imported in Infiltration 2.9.

That would certainly open the door to a lot of new weapon possible weapons made by users , as if a tutorial was made the difficulty left to the guy modelling the weapon would be only to model them in 3D.

i am really interested in that and will certainly begin to learn those free modeling program , but as an example if i make a 3D model , i have really no clue at all on how to import it and use it in Infiltration 2.9
    That is why a tutorial about, as an example, how the Minimi after the 3D modelling, found his way in INF2.9 ingame would be very neat.

7. ecale3

ecale3 Sniper - May be harmful to your health.

well, once modeled it needs to be skinned animated and coded THEN imported into UT using the 3ds2somethingorother converter.

8. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

I think I'm going to put together some stuff, but I'd really only do it assuming I could also get someone to mesh, skin, animate, and code the thing. Is this possible?

9. Dr.J

Dr.J Staying Alive.

you mean make a pack? because if you mean individual weapons thats the whole process ;)

EDIT: oh yeah.. oops :D thanks corwze :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  10. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Well, since the only bit he missed from the list is 'modeling' I guess that's the part he's going to do himself ;).

Head over to http://dan-roberts.co.uk/phpBB2 and say hi to the Inf Mod Team, I'm sure we'd be happy to help out, if not happy for you to join us.

11. ecale3

updated SPR. Lowered the sidecount on the cylinders and made a new stock. I also started an M16A4, not sure if i want to finish that one though.

Attached Files:

12. ecale3

M16A4. Ugh, i worked on this one for an hour in 3ds max to pretty it up and the proggie froze when i went to save. Totally killed my will to work on it anymore. This is what i had done in wings3d. Still not sure if i want to finish this.

Attached Files:

13. Dr.J

Dr.J Staying Alive.

hey ecale, when i get back ill help you out :D holidays going well at the moment, having fun ;)

and your modelling is getting good ;)

14. [121st]Bienlein

[121st]Bienlein Doctor please...

Oh, holidays. What would I give for holidays ;) Well, after March, 19th, I hope...

@ecale: Nice work :)

15. Spier

Spier 1

That reminds me of a picture I saw the other day:
    [​IMG]
    A short, folding stock AK in 7.62x39mm, aka. the AKMSU.(Lithuanian special forces btw.) Apart from the magazine, it is more or less identical to the in-game AKMSU.

16. ecale3

Here is something to look at...

Attached Files:

17. ecale3

some pics of the M24. its around 984 polies with scope and bipod (down).

Attached Files:

18. Specter

Specter Infiltrator

Is your M24 going to have iron sights as well as a scope attatchment? That would be really neat, since the M24 does iron sights that can be fitted instead of a scope. Also you may be able to get rid of a few polygons by making all the cylinders six sided instead of eight sided. I think most of the weapons in Infiltration use six sided cylinders.

19. ecale3

well i was going to make the irons, but then i saw pictures of them and it made me cry. So *I* will not be making the irons. If someone else makes them then that is all fine and well. Both the front and rear sights attach to the gun on rails anyway, so they could just be an attachment anyway.

20. Specter

Specter Infiltrator

Okay, I kind of see what you mean now... the sights are more complicated that I thought. I thought they would be more like the Accuracy International rifle iron sights.

I think I'll give it a try. Do you know how attachments work in the game? Are they a seperate model from the weapon, or does the weapon have to be modeled seperately with each attachment?

Attached Files: