reflection on scope system

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
yurch said:
The 'vection system' isn't that difficult to understand... RAv3's problems stem more from the physics of being a playerpawn mutator.

I have to admit I was sceptical about RAv3 in the beginnig (because of what happend with TS2.9 and possible community splitup).

But now I really love it because it just feels so much more convincing especially regarding scopes&acogs.

Did you ever think about reducing it to 'just' a scope enhancement? I have no clue how much it would reduce efforts but I would prolong my interest in INF way more than any upcoming weapon (and I do look forward to them).

... and if you would call it 'scope enhancement' instead of RAv3 you would avoid those stereotypes certain 2.86 vanilla clans/players have ;)

Maybe KW and me should really start fundraising to sponsor the further development of your awesome mutie :D

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Vega-don said:
the problem is the training mostly consists of learning how to get rid of the bugs and get used to the ping. i remember being a good sniper in 2.86, rav2 , because i learned the "game". but now with 2.9 ,the player hit seems different, and my shot misses.
and its not cool that a newbie has a disadvantage because he doesnt knows "the game", even with knowing how to snipe perfectly.

I do agree here. It's simple to do it on the shooting range but ingame and online its rather messy. In addition to the points you mentioned, bullets seem to get stuck on edges when lying on a sloped area (for shooter and target). The way it is now sniping hardly works when you need to move a lot i.e. beeing DTAS attacker.

And on realism: I don't see how people can consider it realistic. Any assault rifle is almost perfectly stable so you can hit at 100m even when only half-assed aiming... you add that 5 bulk ACOG and the whole thing starts swinging like a drunken sailer on rough sea was aiming, your recoil gows up and the bullets start to missalign with the optical axis aka barrel of the gun. This is balancing (done with a the intention to get rid of 2.86 ueber-scopes) not realism. Did you ever try to missalign a telescope?... it just doesn't work.

And the handycap you introduce with an ACOG is so big that it's hardly worth the mangification benefit. Only the 'real' sniper rifle do make sense because of high damage, good balistic and higher magnification... and because you don't have the choice to remove the optic device. (if anybody would give me a hacksaw I'd remove 'em ;) )

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
Don, the problem with the ping is hardly avoidable. I consider it an inherent part of the game. That, and it affects irons shooting as well as scope shooting... identically, in fact. :p I can see why people would suggest a revamping of the system based on realism, but based on difficulty (some people find it too hard I guess), I cannot see the justification. I have no problem hitting people with scopes, even with my 74 bulk RC50 loadout. :p

Turin_Turambar

Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man
Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
The funny thing with scoped weapons (for me, at least) is that i use them not to improve my aim at long ranges, but to actually search and SEE the opfor. I find damn hard to spot the enemy with some camos if he is far away, is proned, etc.

Perhaps i am color blind. :p

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Nukeproof said:
Did you ever think about reducing it to 'just' a scope enhancement? I have no clue how much it would reduce efforts but I would prolong my interest in INF way more than any upcoming weapon (and I do look forward to them).
It's really more of an all-or-nothing affair, RAv3 strives for near-equal treatment of scoped and nonscoped rifles. Introducing the RAv3 style scope system without including the same methodology for irons still ends you up with a very handicapped scope relative to irons. Removing those differences will just open the door to scope whorage like you've never seen before.

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
if its realistic, then make Acogs easier..
because they are supposed to be something efficient on the battle field. and its the same gun with or without acog, so the accuracy should be almost the same.

In many press photos we can see soldiers operating in urban areas (irak, israel), having an acog. so the acog cant be a sniping thing only

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I think Rav3 should simply incorporate the new weapons, get rid of freeaim with nades, and don't let the player tap forward or back to get around the strafing restriction.

pleeeeeease yurch, plz plz plz plz plz!

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
I, for one, would like to see freeaim scaled to the size and encumbrance of the weapon. Pistols with little to no freeaim would be easier to use with snap shots in CQB, SMGs close behind, etc, while still keeping long arms where they should be.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
yurch said:
It's really more of an all-or-nothing affair, RAv3 strives for near-equal treatment of scoped and nonscoped rifles. Introducing the RAv3 style scope system without including the same methodology for irons still ends you up with a very handicapped scope relative to irons. Removing those differences will just open the door to scope whorage like you've never seen before.

I would favor RAv3 scope system (despite the handycap) with standard ironsights anytime over the current system... still a full RAv3 would be even better :).

Like KW said, adding the new guns and squishing existing bugs is enough to give me wet dreams :D

In fact I wouldn' t aim for all kind of changes (i.e. bulk and weaponmode switch of my Famas loadout seems to be changed as well)... if the whole package is too big it'll just split up players.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@keihaswarrior:
Exactly my word, no freeaim for grenades plz, it suck.

@Arethusa:
Exactly my word, a bit reduced freeaim for all rifle held weapons and limitted freeaim to the side (horizontally) for pistols and pistol held SMG's (while keep the vertical freeaim as it is). That would be great man!!!

pleeeeeease yurch, plz plz plz plz plz!

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
yeah i agree bout the free aim thingy with nades, when trying to throw a nade through a doorway, unless i aim with a pistol, rifle, etc. first i always seem to hit the door frame n the nade bounces bak at me (meaning i then have to run n take cover b4 the think blows up), n quite often i don't throw the nade til the last second n end up getting naded when it bounces back at me :mad: .

Even if u just add a crosshair cursor like for the other weapons that would make nading easier.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Then let's start running around in CQB sometime and see if you can kill me with your 1911 and 7 rounds without using sites before I stab you to death. God knows it works like that in real life.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
This is due to the 1911 beeing weak especially vs armor and impropper hit detection (hitzone isn't always where displayed and bullets deal no damage when so close that barrel touches the playermodel already).

I don't see where reduction or elimination of freeaim would help here.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
I agree with psy and crowze regarding sway. Just don't forget the sway when holding breath is unnoticable in prone with a bipod and almost unnoticeable in prone without one, whille in standing I managed to hit a target at 400m with my M24 in first try, though it definately wasn't easy, and further shots were WAY harder to place in the target because my hands got tired (more sway that is unrelated to holding breath, like stated in earlier posts).

Psy u mean mildots? :p
I do think we should have realistic ballistic trajecory for all weapons, which would have a great effect on large distances, mostly beyond 300, but if u want to hit a small target it would be significant at any range.
Too bad it would be impossible to add windage into the game, as it's a big part of being a sniper :( I do hope we'll have self-designed camos and ghuillie suits for snipers sometime in the future though.

Burger

Lookin' down the iron-sights...
Aug 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Go to the training range, go to grenades and heavy weapons.
Pick up a heap of grenades and walk around the target range, throwing them at the red targets. It helps you aim heaps better (it's helped me heaps)

As real as it gets. I know that INF lacks in some departments, but please don't make us throw grenades with crosshair in front. Do you see that in the battlefield? Training ground and lots of nades. That's all it takes.