Post 2.9 Official Weapon Suggestions Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rattus

Never mess with a RODENT!
Dec 3, 2003
Austria
Visit site
I would also agree to include a 7,62mm NATO Battle Rifle:

So heres my suggestion:

The Steyr StG 58. It has a 20 round magazine , and is semi auto. BtW, it is still in use in the austrian army, allthough mainly for representational guards (like when foreign leaders come to us...).

And before you start thinking "oh my god, this dude is posting a steyr weapon... AGAIN?!" --> The StG58 is just a FN FAL built in austria, so no worries ;)

-=SDS=-Coop

INF Online moderator
i just want a flaregun so i can light people on fire. i think what should be done is we finish all the weapons in the current armory, then add on to it, attachments and newer weapons to give people variety. eventually, we'll have enough weapons that people can play their native loadout (american, russian, chinese) anything that they want, or make their own unique loadout. weapons cant be too unballanced, but the obvious order that rifle, beats smg, beats pistol should still be adhered to.

Gunfreak19

Dec 6, 2003
Majorstua, Oslo, Norway
norway has been using the G3 sins the 60's but the say by 2005 they will have changed to either the C8 or the G36Kv. but back to the G3.

i'm a big fan of the 7.62X51mm and i love the G3 the new once anyway. it's almost useless in full auto, but with the power of the 7.62 you realy don't need it, unless you're in CQB, and then i wouldn't use a battlerifle anyway.

i would love to se either the G3 or the FN FAL aswell as the Colt 1911

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
I can model all that with a few months tme and my entire wish list but sadly I dont own the program so im not going to be able to model anything. Can you tell/sent me the program

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
OICW, I got it from G:\Files\Docs\F88.doc. :) Don't remember the original source though.

To the 7.62x51mm club: In principle I would be against adding rifles that has been obsolete for at least 30 years, but I must agree that it would be nice with a FAL or G3 for sentimental reasons. Another selling point is that FALs and G3s are rare weapons to find in games.

Additionally, no more pistols. There are already too many pistols in this game, and I have yet to use any of them for anything useful, and remove the Desert Eagle.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
The "automatic rifle" variant of the M-14 (known as the M-15) did have a heavier barrel.It was declared "obscolescent" quickly, and was never issued in large numbers. Later versions used a pistol gripped stock with a folding foregrip, a slip on compensator, and the standard M-14 bipod. (Also known as the M14E2 when in this configuration. Springfield Armory Inc. used to offer a M1A with this stock.) Manufacture of the M-14 stopped before the "M14A1" could be made in significant numbers.

30 round mags did, and do exist for the M-14, as well as the L1A1 variant of the FAL. The M-14 mags did see some U.S. issue, but again not in large quantities.

The 30 round L1A1 mags turn up on the Australian L2A3, and the Candian C2 variants, as well as the 7.62MM BREN

There are 30 round G3 mags, but I have not heard of them being used in military service.

(Edited to correct a glaring error.)
Meplat-

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
If 7.62X51 than G3A3 defenitely:
g3a3.jpg

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
I want:

AR/Battle Rifles-

G3A3
M4A1 SOPMOD (flashlight, LAM, ACOG, Suppressor, M203, Bipod)
Full Size AK (AKM, AK103, AK74)

Sniper Rifles-

SR25 (with suppressor)
M82A1 (sue me)
M24
SPR (with suppressor)
Vss Vintorez

Pistols-

USP (in 9mm W/ suppressor)
Sig Sauer P226
Glock 18c

Sub Machineguns-

uzi
aks74u

LMG-

RPK
RPK74
MG36

And mortars that are placeable by the mapper.

Last edited:

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Psychomorph said:
@Gnam:
M14 is Fullauto (20 round mag). M1 Garand (the modern version) is singleshot only.

Yes, european weapons are the truth one ;) I guess it´s the technology inside which makes em so good? And about russian weapons... it´s magic ;)

You’re totally, completely and absolutely WRONG.

The M1 Garand was the U.S. Army's standard-issue rifle in WWII, replacing the bolt-action Model 1903 Springfield with a semiautomatic rifle chambered for the same .30-06 round. The M14 was a further evolution of the Garand design – it used the same basic action and design, but was rechambered for the shorter 7.62x51mm round and used a bottom-loading 20-round detachable magazine instead of the Garand’s top-loading 8-round enbloc clip. The M-14 was originally capable of full-automatic fire, but this option was removed since the recoil was so great that it made full-auto fire totally useless.

The modern Springfield Armory M1A is a further enhancement of the M1/M14 design; it’s a semiautomatic-only civilian rifle chambered in either 7.62x51mm or .30-06 and fed from 10-round or 20-round detachable magazines. The main improvements on the M1A are a black fiberglass body and a better-quality barrel; Springfield makes several different variants of the basic M1A design, including the Bush (camouflage body and short 18” barrel), the Scout Squad (forward-mounted scope and 18” barrel), the Standard Loaded (match-grade barrel, trigger, sights and flash suppressor) and the Tactical (match-grade barrel, trigger, sights, flash suppressor and adjustable cheekpiece stock).

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
I have yet to see a mass produced .30-06 variant of the M-14. I've seen conversions to the M-1 rifle, to allow the use of M1918 BAR mags, and conversions to 7.62NATO, using FAL, or M-14 mags, but none were mass produced. Some quantities were made by a concern called "Sante Fe Arms" (or some such) and ranged in quality from "serviceable" to "I dont care if it blows up for I no longer wish to live".

Regarding chamberings available commercially for the M1A, the last I knew (Note the caveat) was .270 Winchester, and .308 Winchester. That may have changed, allowing the use of some of the newer "Short Magnum" cartridges.. Making one in .30-06 would require a longer, Garand sized reciever in my opinion (That, and a buck might get you a Coke.)

Meplat-

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
SaraP said:
You’re totally, completely and absolutely WRONG.

The M1 Garand was the U.S. Army's standard-issue rifle in WWII, replacing the bolt-action Model 1903 Springfield with a semiautomatic rifle chambered for the same .30-06 round. The M14 was a further evolution of the Garand design – it used the same basic action and design, but was rechambered for the shorter 7.62x51mm round and used a bottom-loading 20-round detachable magazine instead of the Garand’s top-loading 8-round enbloc clip. The M-14 was originally capable of full-automatic fire, but this option was removed since the recoil was so great that it made full-auto fire totally useless.

The modern Springfield Armory M1A is a further enhancement of the M1/M14 design; it’s a semiautomatic-only civilian rifle chambered in either 7.62x51mm or .30-06 and fed from 10-round or 20-round detachable magazines. The main improvements on the M1A are a black fiberglass body and a better-quality barrel; Springfield makes several different variants of the basic M1A design, including the Bush (camouflage body and short 18” barrel), the Scout Squad (forward-mounted scope and 18” barrel), the Standard Loaded (match-grade barrel, trigger, sights and flash suppressor) and the Tactical (match-grade barrel, trigger, sights, flash suppressor and adjustable cheekpiece stock).

Hmm, that´s what I said. I only didn´t knew, that Fullauto on the M14 was removed.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Psychomorph said:
Hmm, that´s what I said. I only didn´t knew, that Fullauto on the M14 was removed.

No, it's not what you said. You stated :

M14 is Fullauto (20 round mag). M1 Garand (the modern version) is singleshot only.

The modern version of the M14 is the Springfield Armory M1A, not the M1 Garand -- the M1 Garand is the predecessor of the M14.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Oh sorry, the "Garand" is wrong. But if I remember in SWAT3 it was called M1 (or M1A) Garand, that´s why I called it the same, but maybe I´m wrong.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
I love the indepth and detailed research people conduct before proposing or counter arguments on these boards.

Folks do some reading before posting. Get your data/facts corroberated <sp?> by another source, and most of all don't rely on a computers game to give it straight...not even INF.

Even I've been know on occasion to search the internet or get out on of my reference books before posting ... although I'll be damned if I'll admit it in public ;)

Learn from each other. If someone makes a comment, do a bit of research to counter the argument. You might find they are right afterall...I have on more than one occasion.

Research, debate and learn ... don't flame, bitch adn bask in ignorance

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
"corroborated" ;)

There's no shame at all in being wrong - especially on the Inf boards where you are likely to run into someone who knows what they're on about. Damn their eyes.

If you're on about the rifles you got with the Commanders Pack for SWAT3 I am 90 (don't make me dig out the game disk, pleeeease) percent certain it didn't have the word Garand in.

What it did have was four M14's two full length and the other two the scout version with one pair set to semi (the M1A's) and one pair set to auto (the M14's).

Last edited:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
sir_edmond said:
Read my Sig.

I would if it was written in some sort of coherant form.

Now I'll say what you're all expecting me to say: 95% of you are fucking morons.

I'll start from the top and work my way down as to which ideas are the dumbest thing since duck and cover, as well as why.

Domino - 1911A1 or some sort of other 1911-related abortion of a handgun - We've been through this countless times, so I'll say it again: It's obsolete, and damn near useless on a modern battlefield. Shut your fucking mouth. "BUT SWAT USE IT!!!onetilde!" arguments will not be entered into.

Gnam - Various - There's no such thing as a Beretta M92FS. There's the M9 and the 92FS. The only other name for a 92FS is "Pistole Modello 92FS," the full italian name for it that Beretta designed it under. Pick one. Good on you for the AK idea, but both a 47 and 74 in the same format is overkill. Also, the AKM is the one you see all over the world, not so much the 47, it would be the logical choice for a full sized AK. We've already got an AKS-74U in game, the team just decided that misinformation is really cool and it should be called an AKMSU.

Rattus - Steyr AUG (Armee Ugly Gewehr) - Is this a joke, or did you smoke crack with your cornflakes this morning? The AUG is without a doubt, the worst rifle currently employed by any western army. The entire list of why they should all be melted down and turned into L85A2s is far too long to list totally, but I'll give you the jist of it, as well as some of my own, thankfully limited, experiences with it thrown in.

It lacks handguards. The barrel is totally exposed outside of the receiver. That means you get burned in the worst way, as well as seriously limiting the ways in which it can be held. This is a big downside if you're like me, and think forward pistol grips are about as sensible as invading Iraq. The only other way to place your forward hand without getting it burned is to grip the rifle on the receiver, at the point where the trigger guard meets the receiver. It's better than using the forward grip, but it's still shit.

Calling their safety a safety is false advertising, and somebody should be sued for it. The rate of accidental discharge on those things is beyond acceptable. Granted, ADs are the fault of the person responsible for the weapon first and foremost, it still shouldn't be possible if the safety is on. The safety should also be a huge throbbing obvious thing, but hard to toggle unintentionall. The AUG's safety is neither of those things.

The trigger is a total fucking joke. Two-stage triggers are REALLY bad ideas. "Pull the trigger until it breaks" is what I was taught when I learned to shoot. It's a good theory, too. Until you fire an AUG. Pull an AUG trigger until it breaks, and you'll fire a round, stop for a fraction of a second, and then fire another 4 or 5 rounds. The extra pressure required to go into automatic fire is considerably more than the pressure required for the initial single fire shot, (Which in itself is a bad thing. Nobody likes a super heavy trigger pulll) but it's still not excessive to the point where a panicing soldier can't waste a great deal of ammunition.

The Swarovski 1.5x is a piece of shit, and lacks a decent set of backup iron sights. That little "thing" ontop of the sight does not classify as a backup sight. It's an imperfection that should've been picked up and removed in the factory. Look at an ACOG. THAT is a set of backup sights.

There's plenty more, but that's all I can be bothered with right now, seeing as I'm not even halfway done. Spier's post contains many more reasons in less detail, and coincidently, is based on the same version that I've used. I'd also like to make the point that our F88s see much more time in jungle and scrub than they do in desert. Believe me, they fuck up enough on their own, they don't need sand to help them.

Ninjin - Various - No need for both a G3 and a FAL. They fill the same role, and the difference is a matter of preference. I'd go with the FAL purely because it's seen much more use around the world. The japanses stuff I know nothing about, but based on previous japanese weapons, I feel confident in telling you that they're mediocre at best.

DarkBLS - Stupid French Rubbish - Anything French and Military can't be good. History has proven this. FAMAS excluded (Though I do take issue with the FAMAS G2 sights). I do support the call for NOD, however.

Cleve Is a moron. Barretts are used for insanely long range anti-personell work, or anti-material work at any range. Neither of those exist in game, so shutup.

Spier speaks truth.

Tiffy is, of course, spot on. Canada also used the L1A1, and we called it the SLR in Australia. The only difference being, as far as I know, the material used to create the furniture for it, and the lack of the SUIT unit. (We used iron sights)

I've saved the best for last: Sir_Edmond It's called 3d Studio Max, go get it. $300 for the student edition. 900 polys is the absolute maximum for a UT based mod's first person weapon, so get cracking. Don't forget to also make the 3rd person model, which should have the lowest possible poly count you can manage.

Don't forget to create a skinmesh for all of your models, so that the 2D team can create textures for them. While you're at it, don't forget to animate your weapons. You'll need to import the hand models for this, as well as adding bones to your weapons.

When you've done that, don't forget that you also have to send the coders a list of frame references, so they know which action happens in which frames. Alternately, if you're coding it yourself, be sure to write yourself a list, because it gets very confusing. And then, when you've done all that, you can email the end result to me, and I'll be more than happy to point out the 100+ fuck ups that somebody who drops gems like "I say M14 all the way casue it has full-ato, silencer, bipod, and a scope, and can be used in all consitions." is bound to make.

Modelling is not easy, and it's not the sort of thing you can pick up overnight. I'd like to know how somebody who doesn't even know what 3D Studio Max, or even Lightwave or Maya is, can possibly expect to model even one of the weapons listed here, to an acceptable level of detail and accuracy, in even one month.

So to sum up everything I've said up until this point: What Tiffy said but with alot more anger and hatred.

To those of you who've actually contributed something useful to this thread (OICW, Tiffy, Spier, SaraP [no particular order]), I thank you. To those of you who've done nothing than tout your fanboyism, go back to General and posting screenshots of stupid shit, your useless drivel is helping nobody.

Now, of course, I couldn't possibly write a totally negative post without offering my own, positive contribution.

I fundamentally agree with OICW's initial list. I don't think there's really a need for pistols in game, and I know that I only pack them into my sniper loadouts, of which I have none. In other words, I don't use them.

I'd like to see the M4A1 added, if only because it has played a big role in the conflicts of the last 10 or 15 years, and does provide a good platform for mounting all manner of toys. With that said though, I'd also like to encourage an attitude that pays off IRL: The toys on your weapon do not make you a better marksman. The best weapon is the one you can pick up and use effectively.
To that end, I don't want to see people storming around with an M203, 3 different illumination devices, and an ACOG with a Reflex mounted ontop of it all stuck onto one rifle. It's stupid, unrealistic, and annoying as hell.

The M4 can sport some great toys like the M68 CCO (Aimpoint), which fulfills an important role in CQB. It doesn't mean you NEED them though. If a weapon can't perform well in its stock configuration, no toy in the world is going to make it better.

I also think it's a travesty that a full size AK hasn't been incorprated at this point in time. People are asking for AK-47/74s, but I say nay. We should be looking towards the modern AKs. The AK-101s or 103s if you absolutely must have Russian calibers.

I can also see how popular the G36 has become with the armies of the world, as well as how the smaller versions of it have become popular with the paramilitary groups of the world, and if only for that reason, I think some type of G36 should be included, and I think the team has the right idea going for the G36C.

Moving right along to sniper rifles: THEY HAVE NO PLACE IN THIS GAME AS OF VERSION 2.9. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you people that you need a scope at the ranges 2.9 involves? Even on Road To Kandahar you can get away with iron sights, or an ACOG4x for the especially retarded. "Sniper rifle" is a misnomer, really. Most of you actually mean "rifle with a scope" when you say it. That's what you really want, afterall.

These things are intended for precision shooting in real life. Precision at insane ranges. Ranges that even Operation: Flashpoint only just manages to impliment. If you absolutly must be one of those morons that thinks using a scope makes you an ultra cool spec ops ninja type, then use an ACOG. Serisouly, using iron sights at 800m makes you really cool and a great shot, not a scope at 200m, so get over it.

Whether or not scopes are easier to use than iron sights is a matter of opinion, but the only rifle I've ever used with an integral scope is the F88 Austeyr, and never in a military role, so my opinion obviously resides in the "piss off" camp at the moment. Maybe Tiffy could give some insight re: his opinions of the SUSAT unit as opposed to iron sights.

As far as MGs of various types go, I'd like to see some decent implimentation for the use of a bipod before any more MGs are put into game, especially GPMGs, with which the use of a bipod is all but compulsory. Then, and only then would I look at expanding the line up of MGs in the game.

The MAG has earned its place in game purely through popularity, even if we do have to be burdened with the bullshit American M240. Honourable mentions go to the RPK, which again wins a place due to popularity, and to the Santa Barbara Ameli (I don't expect any of you to know what that is). which doesn't deserve to be in game for any specific reason, but, it is pretty cool, and it'd certainly be something new and original that 5,000,000,000 other games haven't already used.

Shotguns - Piss off. Just because you're making a game with guns doesn't mean you have to include every single type of firearm known to man bloody kind.

That's it. It's over. You can go to the toilet now, have a shave, track down long lost friends and relatives. This post has been brought to you courtosy of Centrelink - Enabling Australia's unemployed/unoccupied students through large cash payments.

Last edited: