One more bug, and then....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think BBF has the Respawn Bug fix on it and runs beautifully :)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
how about if they just reset the player/vehicle speeds to U2 levels, or at least made them proportional so that projectiles could still do their job?

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
Gotbeer: If I remember right, you and others (me included) were on the new X clan server last night--not the BBF server. And, I noticed the respawn problem too, which leads me to believe that the X clan server did not have the new mutator installed yet.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Skatcher said:
I don't think U2XMP had it exactly right either, but I am fine with whatever happens. I play defense mostly, and I feel pretty secure in my abilities to stop a quick run.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
XMP.Arc said:
oh my. now i am confused. so U2XMP had it wrong?
As I said earlier in this thread, it's not smart to let the driver of the fastest vehicle in the game carry an artifact.

Da Spadger

Insert stupid title here.
Jul 16, 2004
W0RF said:
how about if they just reset the player/vehicle speeds to U2 levels, or at least made them proportional so that projectiles could still do their job?

And that's what i said earlier.

/agrees with worfzor.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
pistos said:
Gotbeer: If I remember right, you and others (me included) were on the new X clan server last night--not the BBF server. And, I noticed the respawn problem too, which leads me to believe that the X clan server did not have the new mutator installed yet.
Oops. You're right. I think that was my first time outside BBF's server, so I got confused.

And as an aside, the Wife's off work the next three nights, so no fun (XMP-type) for me. Be back probably Sun night.

Skaxis

Oct 25, 2003
Everett, WA
Visit site
:)

Grand discussion regarding the few tweaks that remain for perfecting this ALTERNATE VARIATION of XMP. It simply must end up somewhat different than original U2XMP because of well.. the differences in the game engine.

I like that idea of the proportional matching of vehicle speed to projectile speed too.

Regarding turrets: I was able to deal with them just fine when they were even harder to see and even deadlier so the new ones I feel strike a welcome balance. I would suggest honing the ol' turret hunting/slaughtering skillz :), cause as Pistos said they could become a useless waste of energy if they got nerfed further. If you can't hear the distant turret, use a Gunner and alt-rocket-launcher scan the area for the hidden bastage... Of course... this would require becoming comfortable playing the gunner class at least from time to time & probly everyone should be good at all classes because they each have CRITICAL strategic capablilities.

I have no problem destroying raptors with a Juggy or if smoking badly with my sniper rifle from across the map. Hell I have even wittled a raptor down in Garden as it traveled from my base to enemy base and taken it out using a combination of shock lance and sniper rifle. A gunner can lock on those groovy rockets... repeatedly... that raptor, is a monster kill just waiting to happen every time I see one.

The Harbinger on the other hand? heheheh... My vehicle of choice because of how it is not gonna be destroyed as easily and those big balloon tires glide across the roughtest terrain without wittling the vehicle health down from little impacts everywhere. Also I like how the Harby is like a giant skateboard in a skate-park with turbo lol... Tony Hawks... flippin, jumpin, rollin... so many cool ways to maneuver a harby in most maps.

I hear the chorus of "not wanting to bore the noobs away" and agree with that to a point, but the game is supposed to be more than a "whoever has the best ping/fps/mouse-resolution/hand-eye-coordination (e.g. "skillz") wins"-DM kinda game, so there are "unfair" factors possible at every level because of the complexity of this game, but for every unfair factor, you have a strategic option available to you to "fair it back up"... like changing classes to a more strategically appropriate class per weapon requirements or resource requirements, or by doing more strategically appropriate things like oh... Spamming turrets at your base as soon as you have the energy. As has been said already here, adequate defenses at your base will stop every 2 minute arty run dreamer in the game.

I dig this thing just the way it is even MORE than before lol.

Great work FMI!
(Ok enough rabid-fan-boy ranting here on my part)

Oh yea... and the Xclan's new server still needs to have the spawn bug mutator installed... I will get on talking with the crew about that right away so no fear that should be fixed REAL SOON. :)

Last edited:

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
ScorpioProX said:
well i guess most of us just want u2XMP! That seemd too work just fine:)
Exactly.

Raptor artifact runs should stay, but the Raptor should be slowed down to its original U2 speed. There's a reason why Raptor artifact runs don't always work: defense. Any team caught without it deserves to have its artifacts stolen. If there are too few people playing for a decent defense, then the very act of getting in the Raptor with a friend and driving to the enemy base is a waste of time, as you've just taken perhaps 50% (if you're optimistic) of your team's player resources that could otherwise be used to capture deploy points or energy. Such a bad start could be the downfall of your team, unless your arty carriers go back to hacking duty. In which case they've lost valuable time grabbing artifacts anyway.

Skaxis said:
Grand discussion regarding the few tweaks that remain for perfecting this ALTERNATE VARIATION of XMP. It simply must end up somewhat different than original U2XMP because of well.. the differences in the game engine.
Yes. But the changes should be limited to physics and netcode, not getting into balance. I realize that the very physics change I just referred to does alter the balance somewhat (Harbinger isn't impossible to drive, and is thus more useful), but what I mean is that the turrets shouldn't be overpowered, the vehicle speeds not changed, conc jumping, gas expansion rate, etc. I played U2XMP because it was excellent.

Skaxis said:
Regarding turrets: I was able to deal with them just fine when they were even harder to see and even deadlier so the new ones I feel strike a welcome balance. I would suggest honing the ol' turret hunting/slaughtering skillz , cause as Pistos said they could become a useless waste of energy if they got nerfed further. If you can't hear the distant turret, use a Gunner and alt-rocket-launcher scan the area for the hidden bastage... Of course... this would require becoming comfortable playing the gunner class at least from time to time & probly everyone should be good at all classes because they each have CRITICAL strategic capablilities.
As GotBeer so eloquently state, deployable turrets are a defensive SUPPLEMENT. The point is to combine it with assets like mines and the players themselves to form a solid defense. Turrets alone are not supposed to be a rock solid defense (unless spamming, damn turret farmers). In U2 the turrets were balanced nicely; if you had no idea where a turret was, you could easily locate and destroy it, as PhatAzz stated. It would bring down your health anywhere from a quarter to a half, and that was the point. A future encounter with a player would easily exemplify the effects of the turret.

Skaxis said:
I have no problem destroying raptors with a Juggy or if smoking badly with my sniper rifle from across the map. Hell I have even wittled a raptor down in Garden as it traveled from my base to enemy base and taken it out using a combination of shock lance and sniper rifle. A gunner can lock on those groovy rockets... repeatedly... that raptor, is a monster kill just waiting to happen every time I see one.
They should still be slowed down. The homing rockets aren't very fast; in U2 you could drive in circles and they'd never touch you. Haven't tried this in UT, but by the comments regarding how fast the new Raptor is, I'm sure it's possible.

Skaxis said:
Great work FMI!
They've definitely done a great job, but UT:XMP isn't what it could be. Thus we argue.

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
I am with Skaxis on most of this. I am pretty fine with the way the game is now regarding turrets and raptor speed.

I think part of the explanation for this is that I have actually played more UTXMP than U2XMP over the course of the past few months. As a result, my sense of how the game "should be" is skewed from those of you who have put so much time in on U2XMP. I have gotten used to and accepted the characteristics of UTXMP. If a turret takes me out, I accept it, respawn, and try to hunt it down before it takes me out a second time. If a raptor speeds off, leaving me breathless choking on its dust, I figure my loss and their gain. I will do the same thing to them if I get the chance next time around. Also, coming from my perspective, I have not felt that UTXMP is grossly unbalanced, favoring one player class over another.

I had not played enough U2XMP before I started playing UTXMP to know the difference. I did not know about all of these injustices that I have foolishly accept as part of my XMP life. "Oh, the humanity!" ;)

I guess what I am taking a long time to say is that I think it depends on what you are used to about whether UTXMP plays "right" or not as is. I like UTXMP.

SwiftPaladin

Boing!
Feb 4, 2004
San Jose, CA
pistos said:
I am with Skaxis on most of this. I am pretty fine with the way the game is now regarding turrets and raptor speed.

I think part of the explanation for this is that I have actually played more UTXMP than U2XMP over the course of the past few months. As a result, my sense of how the game "should be" is skewed from those of you who have put so much time in on U2XMP. I have gotten used to and accepted the characteristics of UTXMP. If a turret takes me out, I accept it, respawn, and try to hunt it down before it takes me out a second time. If a raptor speeds off, leaving me breathless choking on its dust, I figure my loss and their gain. I will do the same thing to them if I get the chance next time around. Also, coming from my perspective, I have not felt that UTXMP is grossly unbalanced, favoring one player class over another.

I had not played enough U2XMP before I started playing UTXMP to know the difference. I did not know about all of these injustices that I have foolishly accept as part of my XMP life. "Oh, the humanity!" ;)

I guess what I am taking a long time to say is that I think it depends on what you are used to about whether UTXMP plays "right" or not as is. I like UTXMP.

Thumbs up for the honest response, pistos.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
pistos said:

I logged alot of hours in U2XMP but I feel much the same way you do. I agree that some changes could be made, but some people make some things out to be a bigger deal than they really are.

Mostly my argument with the Raptor is that most games don't give you the chance to win the game within the first 60 seconds of playing. That's kind of alienating to new players because they don't really know about defending/attacking/hacking and a fast game like that gives them no time to figure it out/recover.

T-Shinzon

Sep 28, 2004
Granted, change is inevitable, but I don't see why you would want to change a perfectly good feature of U2XMP that could easily be recreated in UTXMP. UTXMP is supposed to represent U2XMP, not be a representation of how it "should be." This is because that "should be" is quite open to interpretation.