New UT2007 Footage From Some Trade Show Somewhere

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Gnome said:
Urgh, I hate games that decide every single little thing should be an icon with no text at all... and it'd only be worse in an FPS where there are no tooltips. It's not like it's hard to notice a giant freaking text message popping up on the middle of your screen... or to memorize the weapon order and which ones you have picked up in the current life.

Then remove the weapon messages altogether. I recall from pyschology that it has been proven symbols and icons are more effective at relaying information quickly over text because with text you have to actually look at it directly in order to translate it into a thought. Symbols can be translated in peripheral vision and are also more universal (don't need to be translated into other languages)

That is why I'd prefer at least SOME of the data on the HUD to be replaced by symbols or indicator lights or SOMETHING other than text.

It gets to be information overload and after a while you just ignore it making the point of the message moot.

Which goes back to my reasoning to eiethr change some of them or just remove some altogether.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
On the whole it looks like things are headed in the right direction. Movement speed and scale looks OK although I'd want to see some jumping around to confirm it.

I'm dissapointed that they've kept the spinning pick-ups and pickup bases. I always preferred the UT "put 'em on the floor' approach.

Love the way the multiple rockets load up though. That's quite cool. The smaller weapon models get a big thumbs up from me.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
JaFO said:
read again ;)

I really think that this level is a bit too clean. There's a serious lack of cover and concealment-opportunities since all the interesting meshes are 'outside'.

Anyways ... I'd love to see this level 'in real life' myself. I'm sure that because of the video-quality we only see a percentage of the true beauty of these graphics (especially the part where he shows the floor up close and personal).
Hmm... I can really only have two comments on your post...

1) Just about EVERYBODY has been complaining about there being too much clutter in 2k4 levels and that they want 2k7 levels to be less cluttered. Personally, I dislike this approach because, IMNSHO, part of the strategy to UT since forever is making use of anything you can to gain a strategical avantage over your opponent. If you lose because they made better tactical choices, then you deserve to lose (which I do, often :p). Most people don't agree with that ideology, though. They want everything between you and your opponent identical up until you get to moving and shooting.

2) The level is probably not 100% complete, although it looks awesome and light years beyond Rankin or any other 2k4 DM map.

Last edited by a moderator:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Lack of clutter was one of the most impressive things about that map.
Epic have stopped abusing meshes, just cause they can use them!

This is going to make for a good clean fight, and it'll be easier to know were to do trick jumps. Makes modding in the Ripper and keeping it true to the original a possiblity too!

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
gregori said:
Lack of clutter was one of the most impressive things about that map.
Epic have stopped abusing meshes, just cause they can use them!

This is going to make for a good clean fight, and it'll be easier to know were to do trick jumps. Makes modding in the Ripper and keeping it true to the original a possiblity too!

Indeed, but hopefully they will not use slow moving platforms :/

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Probably will be fixed, hope lift-jump is still in there!

I'd personally like to see in UT2k7, slippery slopes that you can skid down for fast transport, it would be an original way to get around a map for an FPS.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Epic absolutely has to get it right with this latest incarnation and I'm yet to be convinced - The vids look cool but then they have to be - it's using the very latest tech and I wouldn't expect anything less than the best - best textures - best lighting - Bloom/HDR or whatever else they manage to cram in - some very neat visuals BUT it still has that crappy UT2003/2004 feel/look to it - I just can't quite put my finger on it - I like the 'grungification' philosophy - I like the uncluttered look and I really don't want to see Tony Curtis on steroids bouncing around flip-smack-crack-diving all over the place - totally put me off the last 2 UT's - I no longer have any UT's installed on my computer - that says it all really - still looks a little fast for my liking - tone it back about 10-15% and it's looking good for movement - agree with TWTW in that the weapons look a little airfix modelish - the rocket launcher with the 3 arm/cells loading rockets - if that was real life they would snap off like twigs - no way on earth they would survive the recoil of 3 rockets launching at once - just silly stuff - shock rifle looks cheap nasty looking/flimsey - needs a new plasma effect - the current one looks nasty - link gun just sucks - also needs a brand new effect - dunno why the Epic guys are clinging onto the old looking effects because that's all they look - old

Wouldn't mind seeing if they've brought back some of the old Nali style environments - castles etc - old world stuff done properly - that would be cool to see - with the new overhaul in visuals it couldn't go wrong - don't want to see any remakes - Curse - Face - Deck blah blah blah - not interested - I hear some of this **** will make it in but umm no thanks - not cool anymore and they will probably get slated so why bother

Overall it's looking promising but I can't help feeling that some old issues will plague this game and Epic are sure to repeat - I mean how many attempts do you need to get it right?

Lruce

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Christ stop complaining about the weapons looking unrealistic.
This is Unreal.... not counterstrike ffs.....
It doesn't matter if the weapons look like they would fall apart as they look cool. If you prefer the more functional looks of the orignal Unreal; off you go, play it.
This game has to be a step forwards, its ok to hark back to some of the things that made the orignals so great (fast gameplay less flying around) but turning it into a graphics update for UT99 is pointless and not only are they not gonna get as much money from it, but also you lot will complain about that too.

Personally I think the new look is great anad can't wait to see better quality videos and ofcourse actually play the game. Especially love the new rocketlauncher although I will agree that the new Shock looks a bit lame.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
How come some people simply want to see no improvements over UT99 made? If it was just UT99 + 1 then it would suck for everyone else besides you.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
It seems to run reasonably well there, guessing its still in a 'unpolished' state when they showed it off.
i'm hoping that static meshes aren't going to be hassle like UT'03/4. Ruins dodging and you randomly stick to/in them.
Looks like they are trying to fix the link gun (tbh hated it in '03/4), combos look to be smaller but might have lightning gun type splash, rocket launcher looks a little too fancy for my liking. Can't see much work on scale from there (agruments about player height is just bigger than the weapon spawners).

ooh! and HDR lighting :)

BadAss84

BadAss[zero]
May 21, 2003
UK
Sir_Brizz said:
How come some people simply want to see no improvements over UT99 made? If it was just UT99 + 1 then it would suck for everyone else besides you.

And if it was UT99 with new gfx (even though thats what a lot of them ask for) they would complain that they didn't add anything new :lol:

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
neilthecellist said:
Haven't seen you here a while, Outlaw. :)

Personally, I think Epic should abandon all the weapon models that had for UC2 and opt out for UT2004's, maybe some UT99 looks. I mean, the rocket launcher from UC2 looked like a construction utensil.. Seriously guys.

Actually, agreed. I'm not all that fond of 2k3-4 era weapon styles either, but it's better than the gnarly, sometimes overly-complicated UC2 designs.

omg so many posts since I last checked BU o.o @.@ can't... read... all.... too much text! NUUuuu

gregori said:
The double jump isn't gone!
I know =/ *sigh*

Last edited:

Bang_Doll

Freebasing Anime Chicks Since '96
Aug 10, 2005
hha3.netfirms.com
Sir_Brizz said:
1) Just about EVERYBODY has been complaining about there being too much clutter in 2k4 levels and that they want 2k7 levels to be less cluttered. Personally, I dislike this approach because, IMNSHO, part of the strategy to UT since forever is making use of anything you can to gain a strategical avantage over your opponent. If you lose because they made better tactical choices, then you deserve to lose (which I do, often :p). Most people don't agree with that ideology, though. They want everything between you and your opponent identical up until you get to moving and shooting.

Well, don't include me in that "EVERYBODY" U_U

Sir_Briss said:
2) The level is probably not 100% complete, although it looks awesome and light years beyond Rankin or any other 2k4 DM map.

Agreed on that, though.

Brits_Hit said:
Link gun looks exponentially better.
OMG lies! Hahaha, actually, it's probably the one weapon I would truly, honestly, wish to see return in its old Pulse Rifle design. I don't even know why, I guess I'm just super-nostalgic about that one particular weapon.

Last edited:

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
The_Head said:
Christ stop complaining about the weapons looking unrealistic.
This is Unreal.... not counterstrike ffs.....
It doesn't matter if the weapons look like they would fall apart as they look cool. If you prefer the more functional looks of the orignal Unreal; off you go, play it.

Well was it not said in teh video that they want this stuff to be more beliveable? I mean, yeah, it's unreal, but BR-FRINDTEHGHEYBALL is unreal, but that isn't cool. It's not like the basic laws of the universe are just going to crumble anytiem soon, so it's got to be somewhat realistic to be beliveable, even if it is pushing the envelope.

nuttygopher

Apr 23, 2006
In regards to the hud design, I think considering so many people have different views upon what works and looks good, implementing an ability to choose between several styles would be good, such as being able to choose symbols or text, or have different layouts and graphic styles. U3 engine is very customizable and I think that it is great how Epic allows users to fiddle around with alot of options, it would be good to also be able to change the visual them. I for one did not like the 2k4 menu, thought it was very haphazard and "undesignerly". You could choose between the text titles in a verticle opr horizontal cloumn, or have the original ut toolbar theme. Could even have altrnate backgrounds and effects/sounds for selecting menus.

Also, I think it would be cool to have the unreal font used in the award anouncemtns. Seeing "Wicked Sick" in blade form would be cool:D

Perhaps even ahving multiple sound choices for each weapon could be an option, though I imagine loads of mutators would be made, but the tend not to be very porffesional or complete, and hard to find.

U

Uhm...

I don't get it.

Epic has fixed just about all the major complaints about 2kx, yet certain people are still complaining "it looks like crap" and antf*cking about the tiniest details. Well if that's the case then Epic should stop making the game for the community and just do it for themselves because people like these will never be satisfied with anything.
There have been hours, days and months of craftmanship that went into this game, yet they just spit it out without any respect.

My respect goes to Epic, not only for making this game but also for bieng able to substain the amounts of bull**** fired at them by their so called fans.
Way to go!