MeshMaker 1.0 released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

N3f

Lost in Post
Sep 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
nope nothing wrong with textures, the prefab is from tactical ops
so the textures should be ok
ill give it a couple more tried in re-generating the package, but if it persists i will gladly send it to u for a try :p

Mychaeel

Tactical Ops? Interesting. Somebody else reported the same problem too, incidentally also using a Tactical Ops texture pack. However, it compiled well for me, including all skins.

Are you sure the texture package isn't read-only? Check it in Explorer. Did you perchance install/copy the texture package (maybe along with the rest of Tactical Ops) from a CD-ROM?

smattbac

Flak Monkey
Nov 28, 2000
Finland
www.multi.fi
Originally posted by Mychaeel
Oh, and something else: There actually is a pretty straight-forward way to embed the decorations created by MeshMaker (or basically any .u package) in MyLevel. Check the "Conversion Details" section on the MeshMaker site.

Cool, I was wondering about that.
Does that command work with other packages to, like textures, sounds, music?

Great tool btw. :)

Mychaeel

Originally posted by N3f
nope nothing wrong with textures, the prefab is from tactical ops
so the textures should be ok
ill give it a couple more tried in re-generating the package, but if it persists i will gladly send it to u for a try :p

I think I figured out what happened. (That process involved me downloading Tactical Ops Beta 2.0 and the patch to 2.1... oh, how I cherish ADSL...)

Tactical Ops texture packages generally include references to footstep sounds which are located in a different package. This package, TODatas.u, is however not located in Unreal Tournament's "System" directory but in a directory called "TacticalOps\System," where the compiler simply can't find it. (The game itself can because Tactical Ops very own .ini file points to that special directory.) Thus, the compiler can't load TODatas.u, which in turn leads to a failure to load the texture package, which in turn keeps the compiler from setting the model skin to the correct textures. Gah.

So that's the problem. As a preliminary workaround copy TODatas.u from "TacticalOps\System" into your regular "System" directory, or manually edit the "MultiSkins" texture array in the "Display" section of the (unskinned) decoration's property sheet.

eGo

Sep 18, 2001
Germany
www.ego-creations.de
Can I do insert more than one prefab into the Unreal Package with MeshMaker and is it possible to build this option into MeshMaker?

More than one Prefab in an Unreal Package is better....or?

Mychaeel

Deus Ex wasn't supported by MeshMaker in the first place because it uses a slightly tweaked version of Unreal's mesh format; Deus Ex uses a higher vertex resolution to make facial animations look better. For comparison, Unreal restricts meshes to a bounding box of 2048x2048x1024 while Deus Ex's bounding box has a size of 65536 cubed.

I don't know whether Undying and Wheel of Time directly use Unreal's mesh format or a variation of it. Unless I find specific information about that, it simply remains to be tested.

Mychaeel

Originally posted by eGo
Can I do insert more than one prefab into the Unreal Package with MeshMaker and is it possible to build this option into MeshMaker?

More than one Prefab in an Unreal Package is better....or?

Definitely, and it's already in.

Simply enter the same package name in the "Package" field in step two. (I believe the warning in the docs that says that existing .u files are silently overwritten by MeshMaker leads to some understandable confusion; technically, the .u file is silently overwritten, but with a new .u file that contains all meshes converted so far. What I actually wanted to express by that warning was that you shouldn't enter something like "BotPack" there. I'll change that.)

By the way, check the "Conversion Details" section in the MeshMaker docs for a way to embed meshes in MyLevel in order to get rid of the external .u file altogether.

Rocketman

Apr 10, 2000
Birmingham,AL,US
www.ts3d.com
Meshmaker

I gotta tell ya, this is a tool I've been waiting on for a long time. Great Job! Thank you very much. Now if you could just integrate it into unreal so you can right click and choose, convert to mesh. haha. No really thanks alot for this tool, it works great. Animation sounds great, if the Ed doesn't crash from it.

BadDog

bStrange=True
Dec 21, 2001
www.bstrange.net
This program rox!!

Must say that I love this handy lil tool :)

Had 3 bsp errors that had me stumped so i was restructuring but now I'm back in business
Thanks a million :)

Lemoni

The Philosapher
Feb 17, 2001
members.lycos.co.uk
Originally posted by Mychaeel
I suppose so.

(While we're at it, I wonder whether I should add animation support for upcoming MeshMaker 1.1's .3ds file importer.)

if u did, how would the animations be built in UED?
CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS?

6mm

Shooting first..shooting some more......
Hot dang

Mychaeel, man words can't express enough.
Thx a lot!

Just one quick suggestion, maybe you or someone else could compile all the Q/As that are on this thread into a MeshMaker FAQ. I'm sure that will stop newbies like me, ;) , bothering you or other people on the boards.

Once again man, NICE!