I'll be happy to answer any questions about UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacob Korn

Crimson Strife Mapper
Apr 16, 2001
New Zealand
Visit site
Did anyone ask about changes to the goo gun? Please describe.

ya, like does the goo float in water now?

/stuffed up quote stuff :S

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Scumgrief said:
Did anyone ask about changes to the goo gun? Please describe.

Jacob Korn said:
ya, like does the goo float in water now?

:lol:

My guess, based upon the silence that has fallen upon the goo-gun question, is that it's either gone or totally nerfed down to being useless. (which wouldn't bother me a bit)

Don't you remember the huge "the Pro's know what's best" fight over @ INA over the goo gun?

And I believe that in all the flaming in that thread that someone from Epic did say it was a mistake and would be taken care of....or something along those lines.

Epic doesn't want that fight all over again, with the possibility of it tarnishing 2k4's release......now do they? :p

Minimaul

Hate Kill Destroy
Apr 28, 2002
Visit site
Goo gun is in. Watch the video's. There's some DM video's where people pick it up. Also, look at the HUD. You can see the goo gun spot and it's outline.

As for if it's nerfed down... I don't know.

Creole Ned

Quirky guy
Apr 13, 2000
www.quirkybastards.com
Sir_Brizz said:
I asked before and didn't gt a for sure answer.

Did you get to play Bombing Run at all, and if so did you notice any changes to the core gameplay that would make it more challenging than just throwing the ball and translocating to it?
Please answer this question if you can. I'm interested, too. Bombing Run was fun but much like UT's Assault, it was undone (to an extent) by a "feature" that never came out in testing before the game shipped.

Bonesaw_

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
what about...

for those who have played it I'd like to know what the situation is with player visibility with the default skins - ok so we got bright teamskins that are red and blue but what about playing DM is it easy enough to see players or will we require ttm style brightskins?

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
The models/skins constrasted well with the environment. The only problem I had was on large maps and trying to figure out just what skin choice the player model was using. I mean, I knew it was Skaarj, but wasn't sure what Skaarj skin it was until I came closer.

In DM, I didn't have any problems finding or evading models/players...even when they initiated an ambush.

As for the editor, I didn't get to see it and I'm not quite sure what new features, if any, it currently possesses.

Bonesaw_

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
What about the player's speed or the weapon switch speed - I find the player speed is too slow for the weapon swap speed in the game, have these been changed at all?

I for one wish for a faster player speed (yes even in light of all the jumps we can do :D)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
The player run speed didn't seem to change and the weapons switch speed was very responsive to the input command. I can't confirm if any of the above was tweaked or changed, but they didn't feel awkward.

The models reacted well with the maps. However, there were some areas that caused the models to get "hooked". I would blame this on the map design, than the actual models. Of course, I am a player who loves to find ambush spots and I'm sure most places I tried to camp wasn't designed for that purpose.

When it came to running or evading vehicles (in Onslaught), there wasn't a problem with the models reacting too slow. They were responsive and quick enough to evade incoming vehicles or projectiles. In Assault, CTF and DM, I didn't think the models were too slow.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
On the BR issue: Mark Rein told me in an IRC conversation that BR maps WOULD be included. I'm sorry I do not have the direct quote I recently cleared out all my logs. I know other people have it (spark?) and I think it would be a good thing to post it. We got a lot of good info from it.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
One thing about the Editor question. From what I understood from Cliff's informal speech, he wanted to ensure that modders would not have any problems with UT2003 mods working with UT2004. He was extremely considerate of the mods made for UT2003 and the time the teams spent on each one. From what I gathered, it would appear mods created for UT2003 will work in UT2004. Does that mean the editor will be the same? No, the editor could include new features or options and still be compatible with works created in UT2003's editor.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
TWD said:
On the BR issue: Mark Rein told me in an IRC conversation that BR maps WOULD be included. I'm sorry I do not have the direct quote I recently cleared out all my logs. I know other people have it (spark?) and I think it would be a good thing to post it. We got a lot of good info from it.

Yah I already knew that. I'm interested in any changes in the core gameplay.

I'm assuming there will be quite a bit of changes because BR isn't going to be included in the demo.