I'll be happy to answer any questions about UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
That would be cool. Most of the time they are on descent frags, but sometimes they happen on spawn kills, and that sux. Having them is cool. I never say NS, or N1. I just have a key bound to the speech... and pipe bound to chat the word as well.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
The Lightning Gun fires faster \o/ . I wonder if it is at UTClassic rate of fire (1.4 seconds) or a different speed. I might actually use the weapon more now and with a scope that does not mess up your view, should be a much better weapon IMO for now on. Not sure if I already ask this, but has the Shield Gun, Flak Cannon and Rocket Launcher been changed at all?

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Swift Viper said:
The Lightning Gun fires faster \o/ . I wonder if it is at UTClassic rate of fire (1.4 seconds) or a different speed. I might actually use the weapon more now and with a scope that does not mess up your view, should be a much better weapon IMO for now on. Not sure if I already ask this, but has the Shield Gun, Flak Cannon and Rocket Launcher been changed at all?
That's totally lame.

Lowering the amount of time between shots reduces the skill level and aim abilities imho. It was perfect the way it was.

Stupid move Epic. :/

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
yes the LG needed zero changes to it, and it's my fav weapon I should know.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
A faster firing rate would be great for the higher pinging players as there would be more chances to hit enemies with the lg. However, they have (40%)optimised the networking code so one assumes that really high pings will all but disappear on decent servers.

If it really has been speeded up (I haven't seen the vid) then it will make it more like the original UT. Is this a good thing? I don't know. I enjoy both games but play UT2003 a lot more regularly...

I hope the r.o.f. hasn't been changed too drastically. If people don't know that they can switch to a different weapon while waiting for the recharge then they deserve to get wasted by someone who does. :)

Ruprecht

Cheeky Monkey
$MP$-AEnubis said:
I kinda dig the loc retrieval bit now. I don't view it as a screw up at all. Especially with static meshesc, and the complexity of some maps, you could lose your loc in a crack, or crevass, and have to suicide to get it back. That's not cool.

...and Swift, that option in the ini is only for botmatches. It doesn't effect multiplayer. It should in the future though.

You misunderstand. If you lose your xloc in a crack or crevass, you should be able to recall it, and can. But say I was to damage your xloc with weapons fire, you should not. This is not the case right now.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Ruprecht said:
You misunderstand. If you lose your xloc in a crack or crevass, you should be able to recall it, and can. But say I was to damage your xloc with weapons fire, you should not. This is not the case right now.

No, I understand, I meant if somone damages it and then it gets stuck, and you can't walk over it.

My beef in UT was there sould be time I new my loc was damaged, so I knew not to port to it. I would occasionally think, "Well, since I can't port to it, I'll retrieve it." Then die all the same. It never felt right. Especially when you throw it out as a decoy, expecting it to get toasted.

Ruprecht

Cheeky Monkey
Well if you are careless with your xloc, you DESERVE to lose it. I used to damage enemy xlocs then hammer them over cliffs or into lava. Guess what, that's a tactic. If you are gonna leave the disc hanging around, you best be willing to take the consequences.

So, are there gonna be cops in onslaught? Considering I'm usually drinking while playing, I'd hate to get a DWI, if I'm driving a tank or something. :clap: :cheers:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I'm not talking about long term leaving it lying around though. I'm just talking like in a face off, throw it to distract their fire, and if they shoot it, kill them, and retrieve the damaged, tactfully used loc disc.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The TL just requires a diff strategy. Petition them to add it to UTclassic even though no servers play with it.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Proph, I have a question. When a game of onslaught starts, do you own any of the pod thingys? Or do you start with only your base is yours? So, the first one or two 'pods' are easy to take, and then the cash starts over the middle 'pod'? Nodes, whatever.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
If you are referring to the nodes, you start with your base. There are nodes close to each base that allows for a somewhat easy task of capturing, but that really depends on how the server admin sets up the nodes.

As I mentioned before, you could play the same map but each time you play it, the objectives could change. Just because a node is close to your base doesn't mean it is connected to other nodes, so capturing it will be futile. But, the next time you play it, the node you dismissed in the previous game is now connected and requires you to capture it. What makes Onslaught fun is the objective to capture all (or some) of the nodes before you can destroy their base.

It really depends on how the server admin sets up the nodes. The game does have a default setting for the connections, but by no means is it considered an extremely easy task. Sure, a team can capture nodes closest to their base, but that doesn't mean the connections are valid. Fighting doesn't migrate to the middle, per say, since a team can disable any node to cut off the connection.

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Prophetus said:
Fighting doesn't migrate to the middle, per say, since a team can disable any node to cut off the connection.

I was kinda wondering if this was the case or if you had to destroy the nodes in a particular order like you capture them.

Souns like the attack gets more difficult when you approach the enemy base and have a long line of nodes to protect. Correct?