I'll be happy to answer any questions about UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Would be nice if they overhauled DDom and BR into newer versions that work better. IE removing the respawn after score thing in BR...nulling all charges in the xloc when you touch the ball...maybe even bringing back old-style dom :)

NeoNight

Lurker
Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Has there been any optimisations in utk24, when it comes to getting better fps? Cause ut2k3 hogs resources like nobody's business. :(

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I dunno I don't think DDOM is any less popular than the origoinal DOM. Fact is nobody played DOM it didn't work something needs to change, bringing the old dom back won't do crap. Plus DOM has created a VERY strong hardcore community. I think the best thing for the community is to leave the core DDOM play alone and include a few good maps.

Last edited:

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Well, the machines we played on weren't the highest of all system specs, but they were able to provide more than decent frame rates. Not once did I experience a stutter during the game due to graphic or code crunching.

Although I checked the frame rates (and they were above the 50 range), I cannot give you a true answer about how the game will work on all systems. The machines we played didn't allow us to tweak OS settings, but I was able to tweak settings in the game.

Even though the standard resolution, at the event, on all machines was 800x600x32, I cranked it up to 1024x768x32 (graphics and other options to UltraHigh) and still had no problems. However, I can't say how much stress the game was giving the machines, since we didn't have access to the performance activity tools. In addition, I want to make it clear that this statement is formulated from my gaming on a certain type of machine and that this experience may not be true for everyone.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Hmm...I thought I already posted the specs of the machines I played on...maybe in a different thread. OK, here are the specs of the machines I played on during the event:

AMD Athlon 2500+

nForce2

GeForceFX 5600 Ultra 128ddr (btw...I wasn't too impressed with this card:))

512mb RAM (I don't know what type or memory was used or what the memory settings were set at)

21" Flat Screen CRT

Logitech Optical Wheel

Plantronics Audio70 HS

Not sure about the motherboard either.

SylverFyre

Spongebob Squarepants
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.byut.net
TWD said:
I dunno I don't think DDOM is any less popular than the origoinal DOM. Fact is nobody played DOM it didn't work something needs to change, bringing the old dom back won't do crap. Plus DOM has created a VERY strong hardcore community. I think the best thing for the community is to leave the core DDOM play alone and include a few good maps.

DDOM is huge fun, although there are few decent maps for it

Granted it's different from DOM and initially I wrote it off as not being as good, but some perseverance and a decent public server makes for one hell of a great game :)

adding DOM back in would be great too \o/

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I like DDOM EXCEPT that it's too hard if you die to make it back to any dom point fast enough.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yea, they should bring back 4 team TDM (not that anyone ran it online), and 3 team DOM was cool too.

I really like DDOM. It just seems to take experience to play it well. I bet it would ladder great. Or allweapons great, like brizz's mixer muty.

SylverFyre

Spongebob Squarepants
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.byut.net
Sir_Brizz said:
I like DDOM EXCEPT that it's too hard if you die to make it back to any dom point fast enough.

Thats frequently the same in most UT2k3 maps though - the new dodge moves mean the maps tend to be much larger in scale so you spend more time running to find weaponry/objectives

AEnubis said:
Yea, they should bring back 4 team TDM (not that anyone ran it online), and 3 team DOM was cool too.

I ran a 4 team instaDOM with Friendly Fire cup a couple of years back - was great fun :)
Also ran a 4 x 2 player TDM cup at Wireplay before that - also was good fun

Multiteam games tend to be more frantic and less predictable :)

At Wireplay and the early days of bygames we had a 4team iDOM public UT server running, got some good use but wasn't quite as popular as some so it got the chop

Last edited:

LivingPuppet

Registered Puppet
Sep 13, 2003
Tiny Toy Town of Terror
Visit site
the few times I played ddom

BulletProof said:
DDOM and DOM are two of my favorited gametypes. Nothing beats some DDOM matches I've had with balanced teams.

They should definitely bring back multi team gametypes.

To me DDOM felt like those bomb maps in cs. Where you had to go to a point, plant a bomb and defend it so the other team doesn't defuse it. DDOM you have to go to a point and hold/defend it so the other team doesn't take it away from you. The difference is that in DDOM you have to do it at 2 parts in the map at one time in order to score whereas in cs you can only plant the bomb at one of the 2 points.

Uplink

Oct 12, 2003
UK
Visit site
As I just signed up but downloaded the movies on the first few pages ages ago, I thought I would just say big thanks for the movies and info. I'm going to go and read the rest of the thread now... I may be gone for some time.