I wish Epic thinks about this when making the new UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Speaking of hit effects, I'd like it to be easier to know when you're getting shot at. UT2003 had the red screen flash when you were hit and apparently that pissed people off, so they went to the red, hardly-visible arrows on the edges of the screen. It's all fine and dandy when you're hit with lightning or something most of the time, but it can take awhile to realize you're getting pelted with minigun bullets. I, personally, didn't mind the red screen flash so much, because at least I knew when I was getting hit without a doubt whatsoever. Plus, if they're leaning towards a more UT feel, they need to make it look like it hurts when you get shot.

The option to have a first-person view of your ragdoll death complete with your own visible body would be awesome too. Just imagine falling down the Gael pit like that! :D

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
Yeah, i wasnt whenever you die to have a view from the head gib or head bone in a ragdoll. Sheer awesomness.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Ictus said:
And everybody at Epic agrees that UT200x maps are overscaled, and we are doing to do our best to address this. As a level designer it is one of my main goals to reestablish the proper scale.
I haven't been in this part of BuF for ages but I think I just orgasmed at this post.

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
StraTooS said:
B O D Y
one feature that almost NO GAME HAS is your body, omg is like you were a floating weapon wich insults dead people, and THAT SUCKS, you only can see yourself when pressing F4, and that is no way to play a deathmatch, don't get me wrong, i'm not asking for "Unreal Tournament:Max Payne Strikes Back" no, just the possibility to SEE your own legs and feets. But that isn't just all, when you ride a HellBender or Scorpion you cant see your hands holding the steer or your feets pressing that accelerator, and when you look back to the place you are sit, you get emptyness
not even hl2 has this (i haven't played yet, just saw videos), the only game wich allows you to see your body is the unreleased F.E.A.R

THAT would be the **** and kinda a groundbreaking feature
;)

Operation Flashpoint had this as well

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
They tend to keep body renders out of the game for the purpose of engine optimisation, but it's a valid point that it should probably be brought in at some point. Though it'll definitely be a toggled option in that case, i would think.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
There was a Jurrasic Park game that had that feature as well. I think it would be nice to have as an option, but most people would probably turn it off after a while.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You mean Trespasser? One of the biggest failures of PC gaming history? :p

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Considering that a lot of people want to play this game without any visible weapons I'd doubt that visible limbs will be worth anything to them.

Otoh ... this new engine is said to be able to push millions of polygons. So adding a few for the body and some for the weapons isn't likely to hurt the game at all.
Heck I doubt that you'd notice any fps-drop in the current game provided you had a somewhat decent pc for this game.

Nov 17, 2002
London 1905
Visit site
StraTooS said:
B O D Y
one feature that almost NO GAME HAS is your body, omg is like you were a floating weapon wich insults dead people, and THAT SUCKS, you only can see yourself when pressing F4, and that is no way to play a deathmatch, don't get me wrong, i'm not asking for "Unreal Tournament:Max Payne Strikes Back" no, just the possibility to SEE your own legs and feets. But that isn't just all, when you ride a HellBender or Scorpion you cant see your hands holding the steer or your feets pressing that accelerator, and when you look back to the place you are sit, you get emptyness
not even hl2 has this (i haven't played yet, just saw videos), the only game wich allows you to see your body is the unreleased F.E.A.R

THAT would be the **** and kinda a groundbreaking feature
;)

Shows how much you know and how many games you've played.

Tribes 1 had it

Tribes 2 had it.

Operation Flashpoint had it

Jurrassic Park Trespasser had it.

A body is nothing but a distraction, it pretty much destroys your vertical FOV.

Also if you drive ONS vehicles in first person you're not playing well enough for your opinion to hold any kind of wait.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Mr.Magnetichead said:
a body done right won't destroy any FOV. In fact it will make it more realistic ...

Also if you drive ONS vehicles in first person you're not playing well enough for your opinion to hold any kind of wait.
Quite the contrary. If you need the increased FOV to compensate for your lack of situational awareness then you are the one that's not playing well enough :p

Besides he's got a valid point. Why go through the trouble of creating a 1st-person view for vehicles in the first place if it's not completed ?
They've got a somewhat convincing driver-position in the Hellbender & Scorpion, but the other vehicles don't have anything that resembles a cockpit. It would make the game feel finished if everything at least looked and operated identical.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Mr.Magnetichead said:
Shows how much you know and how many games you've played.

Tribes 1 had it

Tribes 2 had it.

Operation Flashpoint had it

Jurrassic Park Trespasser had it.

StraTooS said:
a feature that A L M O S T NO GAME HAS

you mentioned what? 4 out of 1379497159715???

JaFO said:
a body done right won't destroy any FOV. In fact it will make it more realistic ...

REAL Tournament? WTF?

lol

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
It may help the suspension of disbelief to be able to see your own body when looking down while on the ground, but is there really much point to that?

And if you're in the air and need to look down it will obstruct your view, which is hardly worth it to recreate the startling realism of people who apparently are always standing straight up, facing forward, even when rolling in mid air to blast somebody behind and below them.