1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I wish Epic thinks about this when making the new UT

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Nosnos, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Nosnos

Nosnos Nali

Gametypes/mutators
    - DM/TDM, CTF, Onslaught and Conquest sounds like a good thing. You did have way to many gametypes in UT2004.
    - Dont add to many mutators, add them with bonuspacks or something since they mostly just break the community apart into tiny tiny pieces.
    - Please think about the oldschool players. We all realise you need Conquest to drawn in new players but once they are hooked on the game they are gonna see DM/TDM and CTF for what they really are, the gem of the UT-series ^^
    - Don't let the inclusion of Conquest change the UT into something that is just UT by name and not by feel and gameplay

Weapons
    - Think long and hard about new weapons. If you are going to include a new weapon dont do it because it's "cool" or just for the sake of adding something new, do it because it will be a useful and balanced addition.
    - If you are removing the LG (which I personally find stupid) then make sure to replace it with a sniperrifle that feels like the UT99-rifle (sound!!) but is just as powerful as the LG in UT2004 (same damage same rof)
    - The shockrifle is already one of the most powerful weapons in the game thanks to the combo, making it a killer long and closedistance weapon is just overkill. Think about reducing damage to about 30 and lower it's rof so that it's not as easy to kill a newly spawned player.
    - The shieldgun is a great idea and it works great for TDM but it's just to "powerful" in 1on1. If you keep it then think about removing the regeneration so that it is useful for newly spawned players but can't be abused by a dominating player.

Movement
    - Keep the UT2004-movement, the movement isn't the problem. There really is no good reason need to dumb things down and the lack of "in your face" action is because of the maps and weaponbalance (more close quarter maps like rankin/goose and a much weaker shockrifle would)

Maps
    - Less gimick maps more maps that are gonna be played over and over again. We all know you can make killer maps since you have made Rankin, Antalus, Ironic, Corrugation, Roughinery, etc. You don't need the gimick maps to sell the game, they are just taking up space. This is a game that is supposed to be played not just to look at.
    - Gameplay > Eyecandy. This one is obvious, no the maps doesnt have to look ugly but they do need to get the gameplay sorted first then they can get pimped.

Graphics
    - Not concerned about this but be sure to make the game so that you can tweak it like you could with UT2003/UT2004. No need to make it look like lego though ^^

Music/Sound
    - Bring back the music feel from UT99. UT99 had to me a bit of a trance feel in terms of music compared to the more rock (quake) feel of UT2003/UT2004.
    - Soundeffects... just make the weapons sound powerful, and please fix it so that you can actually use sound to track down players again.

Settings Client/Server
    - When doing skins this time around make sure you got good teamskins and that you as a player can decide what color the opposing team should have. It shouldn't matter if they are on the red or blue team. That way we wont have to use brightskins "cheats".
    - Hitsounds, some like it some dont just make it a clientside setting it doesnt affect the game at all.
    - Warmup, serverside setting ofc. Should be easy to implement but highly appreciated by everyone who plays organised matches.
    - Force default model, same as with hitsounds, make it clientside so if people like it they can use it without the need to go on an editing spree in the ini.

Things to help people get into the game
    - Tutorials!!! UT2003/UT2004 was very complex games in terms of weapons and movement, especially considering that most people had been playing CS and the likes for a long time. A new player shouldnt be allowed to play online before having gone through the movement (show all moves) and weapons tutorial as well as explanations of gametyps ofc.

"Media"-things
    - Working UTV with a tab in the serverbrowser. For more advanced broadcast perhaps a way for the broadcaster to set up "cameras" at different locations so he can switch to different areas quickly and easy.
    - Demorecording (with weapons showing please ^^)
    - Demoplayback with features like "goto", "fastforward", "pause" and if it is possible "rewind".
    - The communitytab in UT2004 is a great idea but it's hardly used imo. Use it to promote tourneys and things like that.

So what do you people think? would my suggestions (if implemented) make the new UT better or worse? :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  2. .:42:.

.:42:. New Member

I think u have great ideas for the next UT :)

3. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

What you have said, would basically perfect UT2004.

So yeah, very good suggestions. ;)

4. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

One thing I'd like to see is a slight separation between the shock knockback time and the rof. Just tweaking the knockback down a tiny bit, and increasing the rof by even 0.1 seconds would be enough to stop the ridiculous cycle of shock rifle lockdown.

5. GIdenJoe

GIdenJoe New Member

About that community tab thing.

News and ownage maps should be managed by someone else than cliffyb :p

Perhaps someone that dedicates himself to this or a group of ppl. So that stuff actually get's used to good end.

6. b0rnAga1n

b0rnAga1n New Member

shock is perfect, for CTF at least. changing shock at all would ruin it.

7. AMmayhem

AMmayhem Mayhem is everywhere

Am I the only one who notices a contradiction here?

8. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Ltg had more character than the SR

Agree completely :tup:

By the way, are you sure you din't read my thread which was along similar lines? ;)

9. SanitysEdge

SanitysEdge Aspiring Astrophysicist

Nope, I see them too.
    "Perfecting" UT2004, Porting it to UE3, and adding a gametype wont make me like UT2004 any more than I already do.

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Wandering spirit

Agreed for about 90% :tup: A couple not-agrees, though...
    I'd say: get rid of the doublejump, dodgejump and walldodgejump (keep the dodge & walldodge). UT2004 levels are scaled too big, just because of this feature. I also think that these fast movements are a good cause of the lack of "in your face" action (might be wrong on this).

completely agree, but Epic knows just as well as any other company that many people often decide to buy a game based on cool looking screenshots rather than the vague argument of "good gameplay". I also think there will always be a Thorns-audience: people that want to cram as much players in the smallest map possible. That's why I prefer one or two maps that combine these: small and open (Gael-like) with excessive eyecandy for marketing purpose. All other maps should have gameplay as main goal.

11. fresh&minty

fresh&minty lollerbater

I agree with what you said...

However EPIC isn't about the community, or making a good game... that doesn't make money. However selling spiffy graphics, with a ton of hype, on a dumbed down game does. I think they know this.

The biggest mistake epic made in 2k4, was noobing up the entire game for the sake of noobslaught. The weapon balance, swap out rate, amo counts... were all noobed up to make ONS more fun. I honestly hope epic looks into the chance of tweaking movement/weapons per gametype.

12. 1337

1337 1337

I agree with most of what Nosnos said. But I think graphics and audio make a big difference when learning to love a game. I'm a big fan of moving combos and "double combos" and such so I'll be sad if that part of the game dies. In the end, it's not really going to feel the same as the game before, and inorder to create a successful game they'll have to take risks.

I like the idea of closer combat. I also like the feeling of being knocked around and pushing the opponent around the map with projectile weapons and doing midair kills and such. I also enjoy being rewarded for having decent hitscan. Maybe increased damage and decreased rate of fire?

I personally enjoy shock rifle as more of a close combat weapon. I'd prefer that they nerfed it's effeciency at ranged combat and enhanced it's closeranged applications.

I think force character should not be default. I think the character animations should be less ridiculous, well maybe just a few are ridiculous. Conquest game mode will bring a lot of new blood in.

In order to satisfy the people that want to show off, like myself, they'll have to allow capable people to use weapons in a more efficent or cooler way then a noob. For instance add in something that takes a little practice and "sweat" like the moving combos or air rox did in ut2k4. You have to give people something to make a frag movie about. In the end if it isn't about TDM and only about making Conquest mode successful I'll still buy the game, because Conquest looks promising.

13. INIQUITOUS

INIQUITOUS Purple Monkey DishWasher

am i the only person that thinks it sucks that thre taking away certain weapons and changing others and even worse,not taking sum dumb weapons out?? first ,its not so in ur face because the weapons in ut2003/4 are so powerful, you can kill sum1 with one shot or 2 seconds of fire with almost everygun, in the original it took longer,which was better. doent it suck that there keeping the bio rifle (worse weapon ever) and getting rid of the machine gun (cant think of its name!! omg). i cant belive thre gonna have a weapon that does the work for the flak cannon,rocket launcher,bio rifle and one other all in one, it would b like carrying around a weapons locker! lol that guns gonna b 3 times the size of the player. i do thin kits cool that there changing the scorpion and the goliath to better things, and the new game type sounds cool but they shouldnt get rid of assault!!!!!! dont they know about the "trials" servers etc... plus i love assault even tho i dont play it that much anymore, im more into jailbreak now. and dont get rid of bombing run! its a great idea and a great team game! it didnt even get a chance *sob* , but i do agree with ditching domination, that just plain sucked standing there for hours doing nothing really. also what they need is like a hundred more new skins really cool and popular ones included like droid,yoda,bender,martian etc... because arent you all sick and tired of looking at Malcolm (or is it Jakob? they look the same to me) all the time, stupid default skin sucks the most, its the worse skin ever!!!! well there sum of my thoughts, but u know there not gonna listen to any of us and they know we are gonna buy it stil anyway so why bother.

14. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Am I the only person that can't stand it when there is a post without any punctuation, grammar, or PARAGRAPHING!?

tl;dr.

15. nick89

nick89 Mr High Ping

LIghtning Gun = Good, Sniper Rifle = megaultrabad
    I agree that options such as hitsounds brightskins should be options in the game, but have them turned off by deafult.

Movement:
    Keep it all except possibly Dodge-Jumps.

16. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

no u are no6 a;on3

17. INIQUITOUS

oooh lets all rite corektley and bee like robots and not haf ne individualiT, beter yet lets all wite a noval eech and join a buk club!

18. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

Birthday:
    September 8th, 1983

you are 21 years old?

19. Sijik

Sijik Snagged an item.

It's not a matter of being un-original or trying to suppress individualism, it's a matter of making sure our message is clear and our thoughts are organized.
    Also, writing such a reactionary post, with no rational justifications present and in their stead undefended opinions and juvenile phrasing will automatically put most of the readers and posters here off to your posts and consequently to you, as well.
    Finally, good grammar, spelling, sentence structure, puntuation, etc. is done largely out of respect for the fellow posters and forum members. If you do not wish to be respectful, intelligent, courteous and useful in your input, then please refrain from posting, as you will only engender distaste for yourself.

And on a side note, if the only way you can express your individuality is by writing on the level of some ill-educated 12 year-old brat, then that is one sad situation you're in.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  20. INIQUITOUS

hello sijik-things im gonna point out now about what ive said to people and how i say things, first i am intelligent, my sense humor is obviously way too high-brow for the likes of you, i am courteous, i say hello and thank you etc..this particular topic is about peoples thoughts about what epic should think about on their next ut game,so anyones input on this topic doesnt have to be useful (they are you thoughts, they dont have to be useful to you personally). i find alot of crap on nearly every topic but i dont say anything, i just ignore it or laugh.im only respectful to people that are inturn respectful to me.and if you notice i even say thankyou to people have said nasty things about me,because they helped even tho it was not good "input".i take it,its ok for you and a few other people to judge me and others by "juvinile phrasing" when infact me and the others were not the first to say things stupid and pointless and if they were not pointless, they were said in an unconstructive way. Good gramma,spelling ,"structure" etc.. did you or anyone else ever stop and think to ask if i was dyslexic or dysbraxic---no you did not. i guess thats the kind of person you are. and by the way i spotted a spelling mistake in your post. are you dyslexic? it took me ages to chek this and i know theres loads of mistakes but i cant help it. can u? thanks for your "input", hope you appreciate mine.:)