1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I just wet myself

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament' started by TWD, May 2, 2014.

1. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

See the front page?

2. Jacks:Revenge

Jacks:Revenge ╠╣E╚╚O

I'm supposed to visit the front page?
    I just go here and post stuff.

so the new game is free to play?
    I called that shit :lol:

3. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

4. Jacks:Revenge

5. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

I don't see microtransactions

6. Jacks:Revenge

7. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

It's not free to play. It's free.

The problem is that third party content could be charged for, which is really bad. The community would fragment into a billion pieces.

8. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

The idea is that modders and content makers decide on their own volition whether they want to charge for the stuff they make.
    StarCraft II uses the same model, except the game isn't free. Nobody really charges for their crappy mods or maps, and I doubt anybody will in the new UT. What concerns me is that I think the money influx from this business model will be incredibly limited. Granted, Epic will get a lot of money out of subscriptions still, but the game on its own probably won't make that much money for them.

9. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

I'm hoping people won't charge, but I guess we'll see. Can you imagine what it'll be like if you have to buy mods to basically join any server :/ ?

10. rejecht

rejecht Attention Micronians

Would Red Orchestra happen in this context for free? Not so sure. Could still have MSUC to boost such efforts.

If the official UT platform throws a wide enough net and ensures there aren't too many hard-coded concepts in the base game types, the community could only get narrower, which is a good thing for those seeking niche game types.

I hope the netcode wars won't break everything. :p Unless.. "Epic Games discovers breakthrough in quantum physics in pursuit of fixing latency in Unreal Tournament." :B

11. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Difference is, you have to subscribe to UE4 to mod.

12. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Which I believe is the business part of the new UT. It may be free, but if they manage to make a game that interests gamers and the modding community raises, all the paying modders may be the cause of some good income.

13. (GR)Killer

(GR)Killer ...

That would be awesome. I'd be all over a UTL browser game.

14. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

I'm in no mood to trust. Yet...

I'm just going to directly quote one of the comments on the PCGamer article:

Sums it up pretty well.

Epic have a fairly phenomenal amount of lost goodwill to make up for, so I really hope they're serious about this. Does Epic have the balls to actually do this right?

15. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

I hope so.

I think it'll be a PC game first because of the community side of things, Epic will want people jumping at the chance to mod for a UT again as that's part of what made such a great community.

If they start going on about Mobile and consoles they are going to have to take note of modders wanting a simple way to release content to them without having to jump through Apple, Sony and Microsoft shapes hoops

16. Carbon

Carbon Altiloquent bloviator.

A modder having to subscribe to UE4 to develop content will be a pretty good motivator for them to want to recover costs. Also, if I were to try to join a server with paid-for mods running, would I then be unable to join that server until I also bought said mods?

17. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

Most likely. What will realistically happen though, is that unless your mod is a total conversion mod on the scale of what DayZ is for ArmA, then nobody will ever want to pay for it.

18. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

True, as I mentioned on the Epic forums, I am more than happy to support map pack makers like HOLP and CBP as it'll be much like paying for map packs now.

if you have a mod for UT, UT2004 you still get kicked from the server.

19. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

Hopefully, they won't be nerfing and buffing things constantly like in WOTs.

20. dinwitty

dinwitty DeRegistered User

thats saying I can make "Dinwitty's Tournament" I cant call it UT at all.

EPIC doing this solves this and its official.