I just wet myself

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The idea is that modders and content makers decide on their own volition whether they want to charge for the stuff they make.
StarCraft II uses the same model, except the game isn't free. Nobody really charges for their crappy mods or maps, and I doubt anybody will in the new UT. What concerns me is that I think the money influx from this business model will be incredibly limited. Granted, Epic will get a lot of money out of subscriptions still, but the game on its own probably won't make that much money for them.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Would Red Orchestra happen in this context for free? Not so sure. Could still have MSUC to boost such efforts.

If the official UT platform throws a wide enough net and ensures there aren't too many hard-coded concepts in the base game types, the community could only get narrower, which is a good thing for those seeking niche game types.

I hope the netcode wars won't break everything. :p Unless.. "Epic Games discovers breakthrough in quantum physics in pursuit of fixing latency in Unreal Tournament." :B

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The idea is that modders and content makers decide on their own volition whether they want to charge for the stuff they make.
StarCraft II uses the same model, except the game isn't free. Nobody really charges for their crappy mods or maps, and I doubt anybody will in the new UT. What concerns me is that I think the money influx from this business model will be incredibly limited. Granted, Epic will get a lot of money out of subscriptions still, but the game on its own probably won't make that much money for them.
Difference is, you have to subscribe to UE4 to mod.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Difference is, you have to subscribe to UE4 to mod.

Which I believe is the business part of the new UT. It may be free, but if they manage to make a game that interests gamers and the modding community raises, all the paying modders may be the cause of some good income.

Mar 6, 2004
Any bets it will be Unreal Tournament Live? Gotta give ole Quake Live some competition am I right? I honestly do not have high hopes for this even though it would be great to get back into some Arena pew pew. Be cautiously optimistic and nothing more that way when they do fuck you in your ass it won't be as painful :lol:

That would be awesome. I'd be all over a UTL browser game.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I'm in no mood to trust. Yet...

I'm just going to directly quote one of the comments on the PCGamer article:

I hope this will be good.
However if this is a mobile UT, a console only UT, a shitty PC port of console UT or indeed Unreal Tournament: Modern Warfare, I will seriously consider flying to America so I can set their building on fire and burn it to the fucking ground, with them all in it.
Don't fuck this up for the love of god.

Sums it up pretty well.

Epic have a fairly phenomenal amount of lost goodwill to make up for, so I really hope they're serious about this. Does Epic have the balls to actually do this right?

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Epic have a fairly phenomenal amount of lost goodwill to make up for, so I really hope they're serious about this. Does Epic have the balls to actually do this right?

I hope so.

I think it'll be a PC game first because of the community side of things, Epic will want people jumping at the chance to mod for a UT again as that's part of what made such a great community.

If they start going on about Mobile and consoles they are going to have to take note of modders wanting a simple way to release content to them without having to jump through Apple, Sony and Microsoft shapes hoops

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
A modder having to subscribe to UE4 to develop content will be a pretty good motivator for them to want to recover costs. Also, if I were to try to join a server with paid-for mods running, would I then be unable to join that server until I also bought said mods?

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
A modder having to subscribe to UE4 to develop content will be a pretty good motivator for them to want to recover costs. Also, if I were to try to join a server with paid-for mods running, would I then be unable to join that server until I also bought said mods?

Most likely. What will realistically happen though, is that unless your mod is a total conversion mod on the scale of what DayZ is for ArmA, then nobody will ever want to pay for it.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Most likely. What will realistically happen though, is that unless your mod is a total conversion mod on the scale of what DayZ is for ArmA, then nobody will ever want to pay for it.

True, as I mentioned on the Epic forums, I am more than happy to support map pack makers like HOLP and CBP as it'll be much like paying for map packs now.

if you have a mod for UT, UT2004 you still get kicked from the server.