Honor? In deathmatch?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I said y'all just in the general purpose of those who are the contenders of defence to this thread. I could gather easily that you don't waste your time bitching about how someone should play Unreal Classic in a 1 on 1 against the uber-leet pros of yesterday. However, certain people in this thread seem to have no idea that UT2004 is by far different.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. The only thing I don't do is typekill. But even then, if you prove you're an idiot you don't get that chance.

RLD said:
-One of them is don't shoot them in the back how fuc*ing lame is that.
-Don't kill them as soon as they spawn let them grab a weapon unless you're a useless n00b with no skill.
-Don't be a flack spamming a**monkey even if you are a n00b.

1. Sorry, I made plenty of noise for you to pick up my closing in. Still don't know I'm behind you? Too bad, you just got capped.
2. Had to fire first/waste your spawn protection? Sorry, you posed a threat so I wasted you with my mini.
3. Don't worry, I don't waste precious ammo on an easy target. I just go up and splatter them(or you) on the wall.

And like ShadowKi][er said, FEAR AND OWNAGE! Screw your lame hippy-crap about how you think it should be done. We don't care about unwritten rules that are practically useless outside of your cardboard box anyways. Keep it to yourself. In fact, if I ever 1 vs. 1 against you in UT2004, I ain't cuttin' you any slack.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Apples and Oranges....

{CoD}Vyruss said:
.......UT2004 is by far different........

This is true, it is very different from Unreal Original.

Epic has solved many of the problems that existed in the Original game.

You spawn with Assault w/Grenades and a Shield, you really don't have any excuses anymore.

- The Assault is pretty deadly, and the Grenades are sick.
- The Shield protects and "punching" someone with a full charge is just as deadly as any other weapon. Maybe even more so, it's not all that hard to get sprees on a fairly tight map by shieldgunning the whole time.

Overall, the weapons are better balanced. It's more of a situational challenge now, a rock/paper/scissors if you will.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Unreal Original:

- You spawn with basically nothing.

Weapons:

- Razorjack, Fairly Useless
- Dispersion Pistol, Useless
- BioRifle, Fairly Useless, Only good for setting traps
- Tyrdyium Shard blue crystal thing, f-ing Useless.

- ASMD, Extremely powerful and able to do fast combos without having to wait forever for the shock star to get where you wanted to combo it.
- Flak, Extremely powerful, and the Secondary went hella far (iirc)
- 8-Ball, Extremely powerful and you could bounce 6 shells (without the UT smoke) a mile before they would explode

- You could stack up to 500 health points

- the AMP turned the ASMD in to an IG rifle.

- Invisibility, you were INVISIBLE, none of the ghosty UT/2k3/2k4 image that you can still see.

So the game was fairly unbalanced, and instead of bitching about weapons balance and "omg EPIC please fix this" the players adopted a code of sorts to
self balance it.

And with unwritten rules + hothead game drama comes more rules and interpretations....

Apathy

The original
Apr 16, 2004
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Hanover_Fist said:
Unreal Original:
- You spawn with basically nothing.
Weapons:

- Razorjack, Fairly Useless

I have to disagree, in the hands of a player with skeelz the razorjack can be very deadly, I miss that weapon more than any other weapon. :(
Most people just spammed it unaware that they could actually guide the razors, I can't remember how many people I fooled with that thing, they thought the razors would just harmlessly hug the walls but at the last second I would move to the right or left and off comes their head :D

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I loved that about the Razorjack. I got one guy really mad once... something along the lines of "HOW THE F*CK DID THAT BLADE TURN TO HIT ME"

:D :lol:

Man, for the brief month I played Unreal Classic, I just had fun with the weapons. Didn't care about rules, and now that I know of them, I care even less. *insert evil Bender laugh*. The razorjack was my best weapon, too. :D

@Mace, yes, good etiquette is a nice thing to have as an Unreal player. However, when it's just bitching about how someone dislikes how they can't avoid a weapon, they in turn have spoiled the etiquette in itself. Same for camping. If you can't stagger move/generally tell when someone is obviously camping, its your fault that you made easy cannonfodder. I in no means am complaining about your ethics, just your idea of what "etiquette" is. After all, it is just a game, isn't it? If I ever play against you in UT2K4, you can happily remark to me that you want me to play to your code a bit and I'll abide given you can take the time to set up a private passworded server. :)

Last edited:
{MåçE} said:
you should be wearing the title too :p :D
106.gif
birdie.gif
114.gif
037.gif

Only if you wear it :p

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
{MåçE} said:
quit making up generalizations that arent true. good players complain just as much, if not more, about gaming etiquette than casual players.. usually cuz the casual players dont know what is and isnt considered good etiquette.

Sadly, this is true. Many of the better players are the worst complainers of all. :( STFU and play. :flak:

Oh well, I don't mind. While you stop to whine and cry about how gay the minigun/flak cannon/whatever is, I am racking up more frags or getting a free headshot on your complaining ass.
funnyface.gif

One of my favorite strips of all time:
jesusq3.jpg

I don't understand people that complain that much, ESPECIALLY in game. Stop complaining or stop playing.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
{MåçE} said:
quit making up generalizations that arent true. good players complain just as much, if not more, about gaming etiquette than casual players.. usually cuz the casual players dont know what is and isnt considered good etiquette.

I have a very different idea of what good gaming etiquette is. Good etiquette is NOT complaing about "n00bs" and so-called "n00b weapons." Good etiquette is not complaining whenever you get killed. Good etiquette is not saying things like "BS" "WTF" "OMG n00b" or "STFU." Good etiquette is not trash talking. Good etiquette is not taunting other players. Good etiquette is not being abusive or calling people names.

Good etiquette is taking the time to help new players instead of belittling them. Good etiquette is switching sides to help even unbalanced teams.

I used to play Quake 3 FFA with some very exceptional players. Many times they would get 29 frags before the rest of us even had 15. Since the frag limit was 30, they would stop at 29 and spectate to let the rest of us finish the map. While doing so they would offer advice to the newer players. THAT is extraordinary etiquette. I try to emulate those players whenever I play.

Last edited:
spiney, that's quite a good crowd you've played with. Each time I see someone new to Unreal Tournament and they seem to be struggling, I offer out a helping hand, as best as I can. Usually its in a one on one match or in an FFA server. I always feel great that these people consider me "1337" or "mad skillz", and sometimes if a player wants to follow me around, I'll teach him what I know.

However, that's usually a guy from a clan who seems to be having trouble getting good. One of the things I like to emphasize is that if you aren't a nice player, you won't get very good. And as the Messiah said : "Chatty bitch should get on IRC if he wants to talk."

@mace-lol, I didn't know you'd actually do it. Oh well, like I said, only if you wore it too.

Here we go... Don't talk smack, be nice regardless of how low their skill is and just have fun. It's a damn game which only the legendly l33t get paid for. So do as you please. It's not like you're actually killing someone living.

{MåçE}

ma$e is back!!??
Mar 6, 2004
yeah spiney i know what you mean.. good players should help out new players. if the new players wanna get helped by good players though, they have to earn their respect.. if you just whore the minigun (like you sit there spraying 300+ bullets all at one person), spawnkill (im kinda lenient on spawnkilling.. you can usually escape a spawnkill cuz of the spawn protection time/shield gu ), typekill, and things like that. you can sit there spraying all your minigun bullets against a good player, prolly wont kill him though as he will just launch a couple well placed rockets/shock combos and kill you within seconds.. you wont get better at the game if you have to resort to 99% minigun use :p

and you wont get respect either while playing the game.. and IMO, its much more fun playing with a group of respected players who respect you as well, than typekilling, minigun whoring, and doing other things like that and having players flame you for it. your quake3 example of stopping before they hit their last frag.. that is the kind of etiquette people should play with.. but even then, going for that last frag isnt a big deal cuz then you just get to start a new map and play some more.... whereas if you are constantly typekilling/spawnkilling, it takes the fun out of the game.

dont get me wrong, pubs are a lot of fun, but they arent like hardcore competitive where you need to prove yourself and do what it takes to win.. winning a pub is nothing important, so there is no need to just ruthlessly run around destroying everything in your path just so you can proclaim yourself as a winner :p rather, have fun and play with good etiquette so that you dont take away other people's fun.

Astaldo

Apr 21, 2000
Highland Lakes, NJ USA
Visit site
I believe in respect for players that deserve it. I can remember waaaay back playing Q2 and some kid was on saying these REAL nasty things. Not just the normal FU. It was stuff to make Howard Stern blush. Everyone took turns fragging him until he got mad and left.
There where a few times when I first started, I'd see someone standing still and I'd frag them. I felt guilty so I don't do it anymore. I don't know if it's okay or not, nor do I care. I feel bad about it, so I don't do it.
A little off topic, but it jogged my memory mentioning Q2. My friend and I would always use the 'Sniper' skin. When we'd get on a server, we'd jump up and down as an informal greeting. This is the days before you could see a players name. I popped in, saw a guy with the Sniper skin and started jumping up and down. He just stood there. Finally, he fragged me. Wasn't my friend. :(

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Haha! Once I was near death, and just stood still against the wall. One guy looked at me, figured I was doing something else, and ran off. I wasted him. I only did it once, I didn't think it would really work.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
I remember once during a FragBU, a certain player on dial-up appeared to be lagging pretty badly, so I just moved on. Turns out he was lagging at all, just avoiding being fragged. Talk about honor :rolleyes: ;)

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
DaBeatard said:
I remember once during a FragBU, a certain player on dial-up appeared to be lagging pretty badly, so I just moved on. Turns out he was lagging at all, just avoiding being fragged. Talk about honor :rolleyes: ;)

rofl.gif
:lololol: :lol: :D