getting more new players

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rico Heart

offline: 2000; online: 2005
Dec 26, 2003
Hungary
I'm back.
Well, I've never been here for long. I had one or two months playing Inf 10-15 hours a week online. I even spent some time on TeamSpeak, that was fun! That's it. Had some good moments. Little good co-op though. I'm hungry for that. I tried SWAT3 for that reason. Too late.
I'm prepared for 2-5 hours a week. I don't think good cooperative games can come out of this little time spent in the game. But I like moving around in nice places with nice people, playing hide & seek, holding a gun.

Compiled Inf installation... is it possible to do? I want it.

Once we were in an indoor fountain, blue and red teams, taking screenshots of us... Can anyone post some pictures from that occasion?
Thank you.

Oh, and I really enjoy being here, in the forums, and in the game, too.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Rico Heart:

Yep, you can still play. :D Head on over to...uh...somewhere...and download it. You should be able to get all the mutators you'd ever need straight from the server, or try links in the "getting started with inf" thread stickied at the top of the forum here.

Re, clutch: Damn, crac beat me to it.

Clutch, you are the reason why there was elitism on these boards before. You've been posting here for less than three months, whereas even the newbiest of the people posting against you here have been posting for two years.

Now, in response to particular comments:

Clutch said:
well, okay you didnt say it sucks, but clearly it wasnt worth the time playing it. with tons of CTCD maps, only a couple good maps, not worth playing, therefore it sucks to play because of maps therefore it sucks.

doesnt suprise me that you would rant about noobs, although, im sure in a rant, you would turn yourself into the noob by saying unnecisary, and absolutely stupid things in the dreaded couple of paragraphs and that you would use so many words you think to be big to try to intellectually over power the "noob" and scare the person away.

sorry but i have seen many rants and have disappointed many of the people doing the ranting. i will give you my definition of noob for a later point.

a noob is a person who, no matter there age or skill, acts like an idiot and is absolutely annoying to be around or talk to because of there thoughtless and inappropriate actions or comments.

by my definition of noobs, your "rant" would be useless because, by it, i am not a noob. all i did was shortened something that you pretty much said into two words. EAS sucks. this does not mean the gametype sucks, it merely means that because of something that contributes to it's gameplay is disappointing. just like if someone said that m16's suck because that person likes automatic weapons but like the look of the m16 and dont want a canadian knock off or an m4a1. sure, m16s dont suck comletely, but it sucks that they are not full auto. eas sucks because of the map selection. no big deal. also, no more threatening to rant. no more using the word "noob" for everything. it is sincerely noobish. :p

Like I have said three times before: EAS has some excellent, worthwhile, entertaining, dynamic, and interesting maps mixed in with less so. If I had meant "EAS Sucks" I would have said EAS sucks. Instead, I made my point clear, and you ignore/simplify it to support your position. EAS is a game mode, a map is not. The EAS game mode has amazing potential, which has been exploited only a few times. You're concluding things that have nothing to do with what I'm saying. I tried to clarify, but you ignored my clarifications. Welcome to n00bville, population, you.

Then, you have the gall to come into our forums, and start calling forum regulars noobs. You are not your registration date or your postcount, but if you've stuck around long enough to have either be respectable, you've got a leg up on everyone else.

If you want to be accepted in a forum, or have your opinion even begin to be considered, you need to understand the forum's culture. Unlike 90% of the forums out there, the Infiltration forums expect capitalization, proper sentences, and coherent explanations for your reasons. Cracwhore demonstrated you've provided neither of the first two things, and it's pretty clear from your few posts that the later is is in short supply in your posts.

In short, either conform, or expect to have no one care about what you post. You're the prototypical n00b trying to act big and tough by calling others n00bs. You've failed miserably at trying to either argue your position, or improve your standing amongst the forumers. By this point, no one will take anything you say seriously. Your only chance now is to start conforming to the standards we expect, or have every one of your posts laughed at.

PS, just as a little fyi, claiming TDM is superior to other gametypes is not going to gain you any points around here.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Crowze said:
That's the whole point. You don't attack enemies, you complete objectives.
That's called SpecOps. What about Infantry? I like tactical Infantry works as much as I like tactical SpecOps misions.

Crowze said:
I always bitch about the OICW.
x²... and more.

geogob said:
I run Infiltration.
I press the button of Server Browser.
I click in 'All Infiltration'.
I see people playing in a TDM server. And that's all.
I close the game, and go play AAO or code for INF.

I run Infiltration.
I press the button of Server Browser.
I click on 'Favorites'.
I click on 'Refresh Server List'.
I see people playing DTAS.
I join this server.
I get owned by OICW more than with a normal weapon in a whole week.
I make some FF's because everybody is running around like retarded.
I either shoot a friendly, or hesitate and get killed by an enemy.
I return to the Server Browser.
I click on 'Refresh Server List' again.
I see people playing in a TDM server.
I join the TDM server.

Last edited:

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Keganator said:
I said because of the numerous CTCD maps, people probably discarded Inf without really looking into it.
You said it yourself earlier, players flock to the simple gametypes, and are resistant to change.
Also, most people are resistant to trying new things. If you have this familliar gametype (TDM) versus an unfamilliar gametype (EAS) most new people are going to choose the familliar.
Capture the CD is extremely similar to CTF, a gametype that is known almost universally. If the problem was players being turned off by complexity, then "true" EAS maps would have hurt more than helped.

Now, if the problem was players being turned off by "non EAS"...

EAS came into being long after most 2.9 (rather, 2.87) maps were really created. Don't try to pin the blame on the few active mappers sentry had left, or the few community mappers that tried to make EAS maps afterwards.
If Inf were re-released, sans most of the CTCD maps, but including the three or four really interesting objective based EAS maps that have been made, there might be some people interested in playing a gametype like that.
If inf were re-released it would still be three years too late. Did you somehow forget the wait?

Trying to blame inf's downfall on map content or any other feature want is nonsense.

Clutch

Dec 15, 2005
I am not reading any more of your bull crap posts. Crac, don't start with me on grammar and crap or I'll correct things that you never even knew were rules.

This is how ridiculously stupid you all are being:

i get on and post about people being jerks and need to stop. you all try to make lil excuses like you are in elementary school. you act like fags,and get even worse about being jerks.

if i got a dollar for everytime some of you acted immature, i would be a freaking billionaire.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
The word "fag" stopped being insulting back in the early '90s. Also, you should stop using phrases like "you all". Since when did "everyone" treat you like the lost forumer that you are? You should consider taking at least some of the pointers given to you in this thread if you want to gain the respect of "everyone".

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Back on topic before the people who have lost the power for higher thinking hijack this thread.
Think Ill revise the article a little bit more and then send them to some sites and see if they will put it on their main page.

Seriously will everyone just stop bickering, although I find it most fascinating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clutch

Dec 15, 2005
one last thing

@ almost: i said you all in place of everyone's names, okay? you all = all of the people i am talking about.

on topic:

i need to take pics...

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Clutch said:
I am not reading any more of your bull crap posts.__(Don't forget now - two spaces!)Crac, don't start with me on grammar, and crap or I'll correct things that you never even knew were rules.

Do your worst.

And on a side note, if I don't know that they are 'rules', are they 'rules' at all?

I heard you that you 'argue good' (as you would say). Try contemplating that one.

Clutch said:
This is how ridiculously stupid (No need to be redundant*.) you all are being some of you are:

I get got on and to post about how people are being jerks, and need to cried that they stop.__('Two Space Rule again!) I tried to play the 'hippie card', rather than listening to anyone, and I failed like a bitch. Some of you came to my aid and tried to explain things, but I simply ignored your advice and 'stooped to your level', submitting to hypocrisy*. And now, you all try to make 'lil excuses like as if you are were in elementary school. I shouldn't have to abide by the rules of civilization, man!

Wow. You make a good point after I correct it for you. I filled in some blanks, considering that you can't post a complete thought. Something that must be very difficult - when you're twelve. Maybe if we all just...

Clutch said:
...you act like fags

Well, fuck you buddy.

Also, I hyperlinked and starred the 'big boy words' for you. If you noticed, my entire reply can be broken down to those two words. If you're smart enough, you should 'get it'. However...

Last edited:

Clutch

Dec 15, 2005
you're an idiot. it is one space, not two... quit making crap up.

Last edited:

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
I acknowledged INF through BUF and Atari foruns (I was looking for realistic tactical shooters for UT2k4, which doesn´t have any till this very day) and i suggest updating that BUF release as a start... then, if someone has contacts at AMPEDDX, Filefront and stuff... ;-)

(sidenote: post NVG pics, as well some showing off HK416, OICW, M82, M4 with all possible attachments and 3rd person pics of beautful maps as Fatmarrows (his virtual bits of London and its suburbs rock hard), Jerusalem and other maps brilliantly modeled for INF! 8D

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Clutch said:
You're an idiot.__It is one space, not two...

Quit making crap up.

Aside from the fact that you didn't understand the whole 'annoying red pen' teacher corrections joke - I have some good (and bad) news for you.

Having trained in the arts of:

-Operating a Typewriter
-Traditional and Digital Typography

I can tell you that you're almost correct. I bet you're hard right now...

It honestly depends if your fonts are proportionally spaced. The rule changes with the legibility of the characters. Despite what you may think - there are many digital fonts which are not correctly proportioned. Many people 'play it safe' and ensure readability by using the two spaces.

The 'double space' rule actually comes from typewriters, and as such, anybody who trained on them sticks to this rule (myself included). With the mass-adoption of computers in the past thirty years, inevitably, typography became a digital artform. This, of course, made it more accurate and precise, allowing for your awful 'single space' techniques (which still crowd certain fonts) to be excepted.

But I'm sure you already knew this. You know all about line length, leading, kerning and all of those delicious little intricacies of typography.

Don't you?

I knew those useless classes would pay off some day...

On The Topic Of New Maps:

I thought we were getting a 'sequel' to 'EAS-Iraq' before our Sun went 'Red Giant'?

Confirm, over.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
But I'm sure you already knew this. You know all about line length, leading, kerning and all of those delicious little intricacies of typography.

Don't you?

You're a dying breed Crac. My mom used to practically kill me everytime I single spaced my sentences. No teacher ever faulted me for it so I never adopted the rule. But since she went through university on alimony and used a good ol typewriter to do all her papers, she has the same dying devotion to the old typing rules.

And you're too soft on the corrections. C- ? Half the text is in Red. You might as well have corrected in green to not hurt his feelings.

:p

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
Well, my day with infiltration:

I start ISR.
a) I see no one play, so I go do something else.
b) I see players on dtas or eas, I try to reach the server asap.
c) I see ppl play tdm. I check all the names of ppl there and consider if it can be fun or not. Then I might join the game. If it is no fun, I just go playing dtas trying to get some ppl with me.

Eas vs Dtas:
I would like to play EAS all the time, but due to the very linear mapstyle it gets boring quite fast, because when you play the map the 20th time, everyone knows any spot. Another problem is the fact the tdm with 2 or 4 ppl is not that fun, you need more ppl for a start, but well, it will not happen that many ppl wait ON a server for others to join.
So I went back to dtas one day. Can be played on all maps out there, due to the new fox mode you can even go play on the server with 2 ppl. And RTS and different *flag place philosophies* make it a more random game mode.

I could go on for a long time now, like saying when a flag gets capped through a wall its the defenders fault, not that of the gamemode, or that winning a round without the need to kill someone really rocks, but I just dont feel like typing another hour.

My definition of a noob:
A player who does not know the main facts about a game he is playing. The worst case: They try to argue stuff they do not know everything about. Doesn`t have anything to do with how long you play or how many kills you get in a round

Edit: One thing, just because it does not happen often: I agree with some of the stuff kw said.

Last edited:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Clutch, look carefully at what Yurch has done here.

Yurch said:
Capture the CD is extremely similar to CTF, a gametype that is known almost universally. If the problem was players being turned off by complexity, then "true" EAS maps would have hurt more than helped.

Now, if the problem was players being turned off by "non EAS"...

EAS came into being long after most 2.9 (rather, 2.87) maps were really created. Don't try to pin the blame on the few active mappers sentry had left, or the few community mappers that tried to make EAS maps afterwards.

If inf were re-released it would still be three years too late. Did you somehow forget the wait?

Trying to blame inf's downfall on map content or any other feature want is nonsense.

I agree: blaming the downfall on any particular feature is nonsense. I'm not trying to say that it is fault of any one feature or lack thereof. I am saying that the fact that 95% of the released maps fell below expectations didn't help. The fact that even simpler gametypes were left in hurt EAS's chances as well. If I came off like I meant "EAS killed Inf", I apologize, it was not my intent.

A regular CTCD map is simpler than other EAS maps, that's definitely true. However, it's not the simplest gametype out there. That's TDM. TDM is still played predominantly on the servers. Even among the servers that still run EAS maps, for a long time most of the maps were simply CTCD. I never thought that gametype really brought out the strengths of Infiltration, namely, the weapon handling and amazing environments (for its time). You could have the most complex, interesting map possible, but people would still find the three best cutoff points to the CD and maul anyone going through them.

It's much too late to debate anything like this now, but if we had known ahead of time that there would be a need for these kinds of maps, I'm sure there'd be more than a few community members that would've been willing to step up and help.

Regarding a 're-release', It wouldn't have to be anything official. Just a single installer, perhaps made by someone here in the community, that included the more complex EAS maps and recent mutators that were released. If I've found anything that's made people more resilient to starting a new game, it's the need to manually install several patches, expansions, and custom content before one can even play. We sometime gloss over the fact that Infiltration is a mod itself. Most people aren't used to installing a game, installing a mod, and then installing a host of mods for the mod. One of the most brilliant things the SS team did was to make it easy to integrate new weapons into the game, and there's no doubt in my mind that the weapons packs have helped keep the game going, and despite some objections to how they've done certain things, I do appreciate it.

However, the add-ons are still extra files, creating a higher barrier to entry. If those add-ons and as many maps as possible were consolidated to a single executable, it would help considerably in the pursuit of getting new players started with the game. It's much easier to say "Install these three files" than it is to say, "Install The core inf, then the expansion, then these six mutators, and these 15 custom maps, and these 12 skins individually".