Epic Rumour Mill Churns

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
Well minus the infamous catch 22 of the gaming industry :lol:

Once you break that then, yeah one can influence games.

Sure, but one has all the tools necessary these days. If you want to design, make a gametype. If you want to code, dig into unrealscript. If you want make art, start with weapons and go from there. Level design, start making a map. Not sure (or Production :) ), join QA. Doesn't hurt that a full quarter of the industry is using UE3, so you'll be well equipped to get a job.

It's hard to find the time (I know, it's part of why I retired), but if you're serious, you've got the tools at your fingertips to get noticed. You have to be good and all that, but it's a craft and you'll improve over time if you have the drive to succeed.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Sure, but one has all the tools necessary these days. If you want to design, make a gametype. If you want to code, dig into unrealscript. If you want make art, start with weapons and go from there. Level design, start making a map. Not sure (or Production :) ), join QA. Doesn't hurt that a full quarter of the industry is using UE3, so you'll be well equipped to get a job.

It's hard to find the time (I know, it's part of why I retired), but if you're serious, you've got the tools at your fingertips to get noticed. You have to be good and all that, but it's a craft and you'll improve over time if you have the drive to succeed.

All true ( I am already a developer) was just making fun of that age old rule that held me back :)

But yeah these days there are alot tools to make some kick ass stuff!

Hire me, Jeff! ;)

Also, holy freaking crap lol to the cat picture..... :lol:

You're welcome and yes hire me too, I need to get some paid UE 3 work! :)

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
II'm posting here because I dig the community Hal and Brizz support and love UT3 if that's what you asked.

hal and Brizz, Brizz and hal...

...Pffftt...

the little folks do all the work, and those two pansies steal all the credit. :mad:

;)

And I agree with the cat - the colors look GREAT!

Of course, I'm colorblind too.

Brizz: "Hey Ren, shoot the red guys!!!"
Me: "Oh, okay! Umm, which one's red?!?"

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Consider it denied :). From the teams perspective it was the best single player component of any UT. Not Bioshock by any stretch, but the goal was to take a break from the tournament and compared to previous UT single player we felt it served its purpose. It could be better as things always can be, but if there was only a PC version of UT3 the campaign would be virtually indentical.

:eek: But where is the logic? You broke away from a tournament in unreal tournament 3. Maybe if it was unreal 3, sure forget the tournament even exists! But in a UT title......

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
The servers are empty, the ladders are dead, and the only thing I hear about ut3 on irc or ts is that it's terrible. How exactly is this showing that the game is in a good state?

WarTourist: I know you addressed part of this post, but could you answer this part? :)

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
[SAS]Solid Snake;2226941 said:
I agree, what I'm saying is, it's difficult for the newer people to start modding.

I think people are becoming more lazy wrt computers and software. For some weird reason people expect computers to automagically do what they want. If they can't get it to working with a short time they give up. You also see that behavior on IRC where people leave within 15 minutes if they don't get an answer, eventhough nobody is around. Or people bumping threads within a few hours.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I understand. And I'm saying most of the game buying community doesn't think like that (the customer/fan schism). The customer doesn't even know who made the game, let alone take upon themselves to try and help them make a better one.

Further, the developer already has a laundry list of things they want to do, think they screwed up on, want to improve and whatever contribution you make goes to the bottom of that list, assuming it's not already on it and priortized.

I feel like we're going in circles so perhaps we should just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion and certainly others share it. Nevertheless in my experience forum posts, unless in a thread from a developer titled "Tell Us What You Hate About Feature X", has zero impact on the game being discussed.

If you want to influence games, join the game business. It's never been easier!
Sure, I'll quit my job, start at 0 and try to get into the rich gaming business in Germany writing the next Construction Site, Farm or Prison Simulator because I want the next installment of game x to be good. \o/ :p

I obviously I don't agree with the top-down & ignore feedback approach. It causes problems wherever it's used and it's obvious why it causes problems. Luckily, at least with small developers there's a chance that it's handled differently.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
That's a lost cause. If nothing communicated since the PC release convinced you, there's nothing I can say now that will.

I can't speak for Jeff, but let me point out that the word can may have two different meanings. The first meaning would be the ability to literally say something to address the guy's question. The second meaning could include reference to a private non-disclosure agreement that would prevent him from being able to address the question. I'm not saying that the second meaning is true, just that it might be a possibility.

Thanatos

Oct 21, 2005
Napali Meditation Room
This point always confuses me. We shipped with around 40 unique maps (more if you include Necris versions). What game in the current generation ships with that many? It seems inline with the number of maps Ut2004 shipped with (sans ut2003 content) and gameplay team felt the map quality on average was much higher than UT2003/4.

According to the beyondunreal wiki list of content about each game:

UT2004 had 73 maps that were not included in the original release of UT2003 (Excluding later UT2004 bonus packs, yes I know some of those were carried over from the later UT2003 bonus packs but we are talking about the inital release of each product).

UT2003 had 37 maps on release (again no official bonus packs).

UT3 had 38 maps on release (again no bonus packs nor console exclusives).

So you can see why people think that UT3 is like UT2003 considering the amount of content avaliable when it was released.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT2004 had 73 maps that were not included in the original release of UT2003 (Excluding later UT2004 bonus packs, yes I know some of those were carried over from the later UT2003 bonus packs but we are talking about the inital release of each product).
You would be wrong if you really believe this is accurate. I don't have time to go through and verify each map but there are not more than 50 original maps in UT2004 (I believe the actual number is between 37 and 43, and yes I have double checked this in the past). I'm not sure how accurately indicated the maps on the UT2004 page are right now.

Also, why would you count UT2003 bonus pack maps as "original" maps in UT2004? That's ridiculous.

Thanatos

Oct 21, 2005
Napali Meditation Room
Maybe you should do some fact checking:
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=608057
(Posted by Jeff himself)

Maybe if you actually read my post before posting you would see that I compaired all three games without bonus packs or addons.

Due to the fact that both UT2003 and UT2004 has been out far longer than UT3 that would put UT3 at a disadvantage.

And the fact that Jeff said
We shipped with around 40 unique maps
and
It seems inline with the number of maps Ut2004 shipped with (sans ut2003 content)