Epic Rumour Mill Churns

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Do you really think that Epic gives two squats about Unreal Tournament at this point?
Yeah, they don't care about their own game. Give me a break.

That kind of stuff really makes me angry. You should talk to some of the guys that work on UT because they love the game. Where do you think many of them come from? They're fans of the game that got hired by building top-notch levels, mutators and mods.

There are reasons why things in the game are the way that they are, but it is NOT because they don't care about Unreal Tournament.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
If Epic didn't care about UT they wouldn't be doing an expansion in the first place.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
UT3: 1 Million (or so) sales across 3 platforms in 1 year.
Gears of War 2: 3 million sales on one platform in 1 1/2 months.

Which one do you think Epic (as a company) cares about more?
One game sells more copies than another. Therefore they don't care about the game that sells fewer. That's a really weak and illogical argument.

I'm not talking about speculation here. I've met a bunch of the guys that worked on the UT games. I've spent time talking with them about it. And let me tell you something... they love UT.

That's not to say there aren't things wrong with any of the games, but I can assure that the reason is NOT because the artists, designers, and coders do NOT care about the game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
One game sells more copies than another. Therefore they don't care about the game that sells fewer. That's a really weak and illogical argument.

I'm not talking about speculation here. I've met a bunch of the guys that worked on the UT games. I've spent time talking with them about it. And let me tell you something... they love UT.

That's not to say there aren't things wrong with any of the games, but I can assure that the reason is NOT because the artists, designers, and coders do NOT care about the game.
"Corporately" (if you can even say such a thing with Epic) Gears is probably more important to them right now, however I think everyone at Epic with the exception of a couple of people see UT as "their game". I'd be surprised if Epic ever leaves the Unreal series behind, though I can see them shifting away from the multiplayer only aspect of it.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, they don't care about their own game. Give me a break.

That kind of stuff really makes me angry. You should talk to some of the guys that work on UT because they love the game. Where do you think many of them come from? They're fans of the game that got hired by building top-notch levels, mutators and mods.

There are reasons why things in the game are the way that they are, but it is NOT because they don't care about Unreal Tournament.

You need to draw a distinction between the development staff and Epic the company.

I'm sure the development staff care about their creation, but does Epic ? I guess the expansion will tell.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Contracts like the one they have with the US Army are massively more important than a computer game.

Trustingsoup

Cannon fodder
Jan 20, 2008
In front of my computer

Epic(as a company) cares about MAKING MONEY. So the game that makes them more money will be more important. How is that weak? It's basic business. Read the quote in your post. I didn't say that don't care about UT. I said they care less about UT than Gears.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic(as a company) cares about MAKING MONEY. So the game that makes them more money will be more important. How is that weak? It's basic business. Read the quote in your post. I didn't say that don't care about UT. I said they care less about UT than Gears.

You used my quote to launch an argument about something I never said. I was rebutting Whippersnappers claim that Epic didn't care about UT. Of course Epic, as a Company, cares more about the cash cow.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark

Thats good to know, but how many of them get to call the shots at Epic's offices?

I think anyone who's ever held a job has experianced good products and ideas they care about getting axed, or held down by bad ideas coming from a higher place in the company, stuff like that is sadly quite common, and it can even ruin good products that do make good money.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site

OK, Flak, if you say so... Would love it if you could give us the inside scoop on what's really going on over there and what their plan is to revitalize the UT-on-the-PC franchise. Perhaps my comments were a little rash and I didn't mean to imply that they don't care about it in terms of feeling affection or concern for their baby, but I meant it in more of a business and financial context.

We've all speculated on "why things in the game are the way that they are" but have yet to hear an official exposition on how UT3 ended up being released the way UT3 was released. I suppose that it's possible we might never hear it for contractual reasons, at least not until Midway ceases to exist and perhaps not even then.

I'd be surprised if Epic ever leaves the Unreal series behind, though I can see them shifting away from the multiplayer only aspect of it.

At this point the Unreal series needs a complete reboot. Releasing a hyped, excellent, high quality single player game--an Unreal 3, might not be a bad idea at this point as a means of earning a new fan base. Once that has been established, then they could release a UT4 or a UT 2011.

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
At this point the Unreal series needs a complete reboot. Releasing a hyped, excellent, high quality single player game--an Unreal 3, might not be a bad idea at this point as a means of earning a new fan base. Once that has been established, then they could release a UT4 or a UT 2011.

Yeah, SP games seem to be working for them right now, just look at GoW and GoW 2.
This would probably work quite well, but i've got a feeling that the game would be like another "Unreal 2" to us old-time fans; even if it were successful and enjoyed by everyone else, we wouldn't see it as a real successor to unreal.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
See post #45
Yes, but it all goes back to your original use of my quote.

Perhaps I should have just said "I didn't say they didn't care less - don't use my quote to launch an argument about something I didn't say" and left it at that.

You've also since altered your post to emphasize "care less".

But such is the way of the internets.

Trustingsoup

Cannon fodder
Jan 20, 2008
In front of my computer

So you didn't say this in a post where you quote me? Yes, I changed it to point out the fact that I never said they didn't care. The ironic part here is that you agree that they probably do care less about UT than gears at the moment. Since you quoted me, I assumed it was a response to the post you quoted. The reason I deleted the post you quoted in the first place was to avoid this unproductive crap.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
So you didn't say this in a post where you quote me? Yes, I changed it to point out the fact that I never said they didn't care. The ironic part here is that you agree that they probably do care less about UT than gears at the moment. Since you quoted me, I assumed it was a response to the post you quoted. The reason I deleted the post you quoted in the first place was to avoid this unproductive crap.

Yes, I quoted your post where you quoted me and took my point in a different direction, but only to reiterate my original post. Like I said, I probably should have just stuck to objecting to your misuse of my quote. :boom: