1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Epic Pres: PC A Primary Platform Again

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Capt.Toilet, Aug 16, 2011.

1. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

If you use your printer a lot like I do, get a 'cartridgeless' mod kit. Saves me literally a couple of hundred quid a year.

2. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Which printer did you get to do that?

3. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

I have an Epson (SX215 or something?) - you can do it with pretty much any deskjet; basically you take off the casing where the cartridge can move, and mod the cartridge (or cartririges) itself to pull ink from a resevoir. Ink is cheap, and the cartridge itself then only needs to be replaced about once every six months when the feet get worn out.

4. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

I've seen pics of people that have done that

5. Twrecks

Twrecks Spectacularly Lucky

IC CMYK ppl

Attached Files:

6. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Printers are usually sold with only half the ink in them, so it's not as good a deal as it might sound :p Also, things like Canon rip even more off by making the printer say that the cartridge is low on ink based on... date. And if you refill them manually, they keep saying it's low.

Also, wee, thread derailment!

7. dinwitty

dinwitty DeRegistered User

All the console game makers have to ramp towards development of the new console, here's the issue, the PC today is light years ahead of the consoles technically. By the time the new consoles are in place, the PC will still outhead them. I said that for the 360. I have not seen serious technical advances the consoles can't do than the PC's do. Their proprietary and you're -not- supposed to drag components out and place newer upgrades in them, its proprietary.

Really, I am tired of incompatibilities between consoles and PC.
    The consoles is about marketing, profiteering, and competitive selfishness to -your- console. MS has the money to push what they want, Halo Halo Halo...MS grabbed the Halo studio and they made Halo Xbox. The PC crowd was maddening complaining about it. Buy our console platform and play Halo. I could drop a Duke Nuke on the whole thing.
    Then I hear the commercials some guy bragging I get to play Halo this N that...argh. The Game Halo woulda been released sooner had it not been swiped up by the greed. I finally bought the PC Halo version...I'm dissapointed, and the persistant level loading delays just screwed my enjoyment. I stopped playing it, and it was lowtech by the standards of the moment.

EPIC may have more inroad data on gaming and they have the Uengine 4 in the works, not really surprised they may make some "talk" about heading towards the PC. You can make the PC do what all the consoles do and all the plugins, would love to see WII controllers on the PC and the Kinect, but nooooo, I have to buy their consoles and games and apparatus.

I am out maybe 2000 bucks already trying that. Nope. ZERO consoles here.

8. DannyMeister

DannyMeister UT3 Jailbreak Coder

Eh, the thread was going nowhere good anyways. No need to hear how many people don't trust Epic any more, or who does and doesn't like middleware. The news here: Epic is making some new PC games. Neat.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

yeah, it's pretty cool news, we just have to see what the hell it is, and pass the mean time.

edit
    by talking about printer ink, and some such.

10. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

If something sounds too good to be true, than it sounds like marketing talk.

I think that since 7 years. I want to see it all shutter.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  11. WHIPperSNAPper

WHIPperSNAPper New Member

The issue is, how much of a killing could these companies make? I'm under the impression that HP's reason for leaving the market was not that they couldn't sell computers, but rather that their computer sales just weren't very profitable.

12. Sir_Brizz

The real issue is, why would your average person want to buy a custom built PC that cost $300 when they can get an e-Machines at Best Buy for $300 with the monitor, keyboard and mouse?

13. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

hell, I bought myself a laptop for 800 euros and it's more powerful than my desktop PC ! that's a big hit in the nuts !
    OK, my desktop PC hasn't had a real upgrade for years, but it's tough. :(

14. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Chances are the eMachine is crap though...

15. Severin

Severin New Member

In terms of gaming its a 100% cast iron, gold plated guarantee.:)

16. Sir_Brizz

An average consumer doesn't give a crap about that, though.

17. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Well yeah. Hence why OnLive exists ;)

18. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

The former doesn't explode violently? :D

19. BITE_ME

BITE_ME Bye-Bye

This Space For Rent. Please Don't Disturb The Current Occupants

One of my first PC's was a eMachine. I put 2 3DFX cards in that thing :D
    And.
    I still have my eMachine laptop. First wide screen laptop that was under $2000.00.

20. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

As was mine, except they shipped a Windows ME machine with 64 MB of RAM. Fortunately I was smart enough to order another 128 to go with it.