Epic Pres: PC A Primary Platform Again

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I have an Epson (SX215 or something?) - you can do it with pretty much any deskjet; basically you take off the casing where the cartridge can move, and mod the cartridge (or cartririges) itself to pull ink from a resevoir. Ink is cheap, and the cartridge itself then only needs to be replaced about once every six months when the feet get worn out.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Printers are usually sold with only half the ink in them, so it's not as good a deal as it might sound :p Also, things like Canon rip even more off by making the printer say that the cartridge is low on ink based on... date. And if you refill them manually, they keep saying it's low.

Also, wee, thread derailment!

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
I think we can expect PC development to come in waves based on how long a generation of consoles has been on the market. The 360 and PS3 are significantly behind the latest gaming PCs in performance and I expect PC games to get more attention at least until the next generation of consoles are released.

All the console game makers have to ramp towards development of the new console, here's the issue, the PC today is light years ahead of the consoles technically. By the time the new consoles are in place, the PC will still outhead them. I said that for the 360. I have not seen serious technical advances the consoles can't do than the PC's do. Their proprietary and you're -not- supposed to drag components out and place newer upgrades in them, its proprietary.

Really, I am tired of incompatibilities between consoles and PC.
The consoles is about marketing, profiteering, and competitive selfishness to -your- console. MS has the money to push what they want, Halo Halo Halo...MS grabbed the Halo studio and they made Halo Xbox. The PC crowd was maddening complaining about it. Buy our console platform and play Halo. I could drop a Duke Nuke on the whole thing.
Then I hear the commercials some guy bragging I get to play Halo this N that...argh. The Game Halo woulda been released sooner had it not been swiped up by the greed. I finally bought the PC Halo version...I'm dissapointed, and the persistant level loading delays just screwed my enjoyment. I stopped playing it, and it was lowtech by the standards of the moment.

EPIC may have more inroad data on gaming and they have the Uengine 4 in the works, not really surprised they may make some "talk" about heading towards the PC. You can make the PC do what all the consoles do and all the plugins, would love to see WII controllers on the PC and the Kinect, but nooooo, I have to buy their consoles and games and apparatus.

I am out maybe 2000 bucks already trying that. Nope. ZERO consoles here.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Printers are usually sold with only half the ink in them, so it's not as good a deal as it might sound :p Also, things like Canon rip even more off by making the printer say that the cartridge is low on ink based on... date. And if you refill them manually, they keep saying it's low.

Also, wee, thread derailment!

Eh, the thread was going nowhere good anyways. No need to hear how many people don't trust Epic any more, or who does and doesn't like middleware. The news here: Epic is making some new PC games. Neat.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
If something sounds too good to be true, than it sounds like marketing talk.

The entire game market needs to crash and burn again like it did in the 70's. We need another game Renaissance. I'm sick of studios crapping out sequels to play it safe. There's also a reason phone games are growing in popularity fast. You don't need 8 buttons to have fun. Simple and engaging games always win.
I think that since 7 years. I want to see it all shutter.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
If major PC vendors such as HP exit, all it does is open up the potential for smaller specialty companies to make a killing imo. We might actually see a growth in PC gaming if custom builds become more common and prefab machines less.

The issue is, how much of a killing could these companies make? I'm under the impression that HP's reason for leaving the market was not that they couldn't sell computers, but rather that their computer sales just weren't very profitable.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The real issue is, why would your average person want to buy a custom built PC that cost $300 when they can get an e-Machines at Best Buy for $300 with the monitor, keyboard and mouse?

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
hell, I bought myself a laptop for 800 euros and it's more powerful than my desktop PC ! that's a big hit in the nuts !
OK, my desktop PC hasn't had a real upgrade for years, but it's tough. :(

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
The real issue is, why would your average person want to buy a custom built PC that cost $300 when they can get an e-Machines at Best Buy for $300 with the monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Chances are the eMachine is crap though...

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
One of my first PC's was a eMachine. I put 2 3DFX cards in that thing :D

As was mine, except they shipped a Windows ME machine with 64 MB of RAM. Fortunately I was smart enough to order another 128 to go with it.